Reels with same serial numbers.

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Hamhocksleep

Reels with same serial numbers.

Post by Hamhocksleep »

I have two Mitchell Garcia 308 with the same serial numbers. Under magnifications it looks like 0149205. Need help. Is this possible or normal?
Attachments
20230212_225022_copy_2000x1500.jpg
20230212_225022_copy_2000x1500.jpg (630.21 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
20230212_223849_copy_2000x1500_1.jpg
20230212_223849_copy_2000x1500_1.jpg (378.51 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
20230212_223947_copy_2000x1500.jpg
20230212_223947_copy_2000x1500.jpg (407.62 KiB) Viewed 4478 times

Sandman

Re: Reels with same serial numbers.

Post by Sandman »

Very interesting. While there are a few known examples of reels with the same serial number, that is not my first inclination here. A couple reasons why. I believe the number "0" as the first numeral is actually a "D" indicating a 1974 production year. These reels characteristics are consistent with 1974 (1969- 1975). Most believe that in 1975 is when the serial numbering system changed to the new date coding system in which the numbering indicated which month and day a reel body was stamped/came off the line. See numbering system format explanation below. In this system, there were many reels produced on the same day and thus have the same serial number. These reels would be dated May 29th, 1974. It's not a stretch to believe that in the late 1974 production year (roughly Sept 1973 - July 1974) they began using this new date code system. I haven't recorded a ton of these reels dated with this system and this would be the earliest I've seen. "E" production reels would have started in Sept of 1974.

Again, this is my best guess.
Sandman

1) The letter stands for the year of production.
2) The two last digits for the month of production.
3) And the first three digits is the day in year
4) Middle digit is a production line code

Hamhocksleep

Post by Hamhocksleep »

To Sandman,

Thank you so much for the information. The number "0" to me looks Like an '0', but than again it is a bit faded and could pass for a letter D. And like you said it fits more of a mid 70's reel design. You sound like a very knowledgeable person when it comes to Mitchell reels. Much appreciated. As for me, I'm more of a Abu Garcia Baiting Casting fellow. I picked up the two reels at our local thrift store for a couple of bucks. Granted I also volunteer at the store. As we say in Hawaii, "mahalo". Jason.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Aloha Justin, I was on the big island last week visiting. Beautiful island.

While there were UL reels that had six digits preceded by a “0”, the “0” would not of been followed by as low of a number as 140XXX (they were numbered sequentially) and also had a no dashed model number and second version bail. Not to mention the plastic boxes and slotted crank handle counterweights. These are some of the characteristics that tell us they are not earlier reels as 140XXX would indicate. So, they really have to be a “D”. Thats a pair that has been inseparable from birth. They would have come off the production line together, packaged together, distributed together, sold together and never separated. Don’t see that often.

With a little maintenance they will service well for a long time.

Sandman

Hamhocksleep

Post by Hamhocksleep »

"You don't see that often". Would that make these reels "rare"? Don't know if I want to keep or sell them as a pair. The box contains all the paper work as well. Interesting

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The reels themselves are not rare. The fact that they stayed together their whole life is uncommon, but doesn't relate much to value. Would help value a bit if they were mint in box. Mostly, its just a fun fact that they have survived together as brothers...Value is mostly attributable to condition and completeness of package for this model and year. While it sounds like they may be pretty complete packages, the condition of the reels is somewhere in the "good" range, which makes them not very desirable from a collector standpoint. Completeness of package helps a bit. Do a thorough cleaning, re-lube and fish them. It wont hurt the value. Just make sure you sell them as a package some day, for posterity and someone may pay a little more for them considering they are sisters. You made a good buy, but you wont retire by selling them...you can check eBay for what these reels are going for if you really want some market comparisons. $100-$200 per, mint in box...considerably downward from there.

Sandman

Hamhocksleep

Post by Hamhocksleep »

To Sandman.

Much appreciated. Jason.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Your welcome. Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum!!

Got my curiosity up, so I did some some digging through my reels and found one even earlier with the new date code (D071203). This one is March 12th, 1974. So, it looks like the thought that the new date code began in the 1975 production year doesn't hold much water.

Sandman

Hamhocksleep

Post by Hamhocksleep »

And the end result or meaning is....I don't have a clue. Like you I went digging through my fishing stuff and found a Mitchell 300 with the hyphen. Like Mitchell 3-0-0. Understand that the reel is an earlier version.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Ham, didn't mean to confuse, but I did take your thread in a related direction to the question of when the new date coding begin. Definitely pertinent to figuring out when your reels were produced and whether your reels began with a D or 0. So, the importance of me finding a reel with a new date code of March, 1975, further proves/indicates your reels start with a D and that to the rest of the Mitchell community, anyone who thought the new date code begin in production year 1975 was incorrect. Ultimately to answer your original question of having the same serial numbers, my March, 1974 reel proves they do not. The numbers on the bottom of your reels are not serial numbers, they are date codes and therefore, many reels have the same date code after serial numbers were dropped and the new date coding system began, somewhere in 1974, at least for the 308 model. Hope tht clears it up. Glad to answer any further questions.

Glad you found your old Mitchell. The "hyphenated" or "dashed" model number simply indicates the body was produced sometime before about 1969, or so.

Sandman

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Correction to my last post, "new date code of March, 1975, further proves/indicates". This should of read March, 1974. Apologies for the typo.

Sandman