Mitchell 300 spools

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Argyll Trout Fisher

Mitchell 300 spools

Post by Argyll Trout Fisher »

Hello, been dabbling with a collection of 300’s and extra spools given to me- super reels dated from mid 50’s to mid 70’s and all functional after tune up etc. They were well used but only one fault could I find and that was in one where the anti reverse clicks but slips.
Anyway there was quite a variety of spools with the reels - possibly dozen - with a fair bit of variation in their capacity, materials, colour etc. So my question- do these spools have ID marks and or features that would indicate capacity, era etc. (several have a 4 on the base and I think one has a two?) Any info appreciated. I have stripped and cleaned them all thought some are missing their washers I think. TIA

piscesman

Re: Mitchell 300 spools

Post by piscesman »

Congratulations on your acquisition!!! :text-welcomeconfetti: to the site... There are some variations of spools over the years. One way to tell old from new is, older have 4 prong drag nut and newer have 3. Some variations in those too. Deep and shallow spools for different amount of line laid on the spool. Varies with the lines lb test. Somewhere here there is a chart that gives approx. yards that can be put on that spool at that line weight. Good Luck, and congratulations on the fish............
Kim

Argyll Trout Fisher

Thank you for the welcome! Re the spools, I suspect they have been mixed and matched through the years. The metal large capacity ones are probably the best made ones but they do take an insane amount of line! I have a collection of reels of various manufacturers- nothing outstandingly rare but all good solid , serviceable ones and all I enjoy using . The recent haul of 300’s however has just reinforced how well perfect they are . As I said to a friend recently when the 300 was born all fixed spool reel development should have ended, the work being done, never to be bettered! I’m sure I ‘m preaching to the converted here but the quality, reliability, value and sheer endurance of these reels makes them unique. My pet hate is modern reels with ‘go faster’ stripes on them and enough bling to scare any wary fish around. Give me a slightly battle hardened, well maintained 300 every time .

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

I don't think any of the 300 spools have anti-reverse in them. Just a clicker to let you hear that a fish is taking line. These spools will fit a right or a left-hand wind reel and are interchangeable.
The anti-reverse on the 300 is operated by the lever on the left hand side of the reel, behind the handle.

}<)))'> Bailarm
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Argyll Trout Fisher wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:38 pm Hello, been dabbling with a collection of 300’s and extra spools given to me- super reels dated from mid 50’s to mid 70’s and all functional after tune up etc. They were well used but only one fault could I find and that was in one where the anti reverse clicks but slips.
Anyway there was quite a variety of spools with the reels - possibly dozen - with a fair bit of variation in their capacity, materials, colour etc. So my question- do these spools have ID marks and or features that would indicate capacity, era etc. (several have a 4 on the base and I think one has a two?) Any info appreciated. I have stripped and cleaned them all thought some are missing their washers I think. TIA
Welcome Argyll,
Some 1/2 bail spools had an icon placed on the drag nut indicating as to whether the spool was small or large capacity. This mark soon disappeared though, and newer spools had no such mark on them. Most collectors can tell if a spool is large or small capacity (when spool is full of line) by looking at the bottom of the spool shell. If you study them you will learn to detect whether the spool shell arbor is larger (small capacity) or smaller (large capacity).
The age or from which version of reel the spool was made for can also be learned by studying the various spool characteristics.
A helpful tip, for those still fishing their Mitchell's, is to try and use spools with plastic spool shells for all salt water fishing and the alloy spools for fresh water. The newest spools made for the 300A reels are made out of carbon graphite and are good for salt or fresh water. When the 300A series reel spools first started most spools came with a removable, blue plastic arbor. This would change your spool from large capacity (without arbor) to small capacity (with arbor)

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Argyll Trout Fisher

Thanks for the replies. Yes Bill your information is very helpful and appreciated. Bailarm thanks for the reply. I think my original post was written badly, sorry! My reference to the anti reverse mechanism is distinct from the spools questions, but it perhaps does not read like that.
My mention of the A/R was in relation to the fact that in the recently acquired collection of 4 Mitchell 300’s , manufactured from 1956 to 1976 approximately and well used clearly, that the only fault across all of them was a minor one regarding the AR that affected only one of the four reels. That is an incredible thing and is testimony to the quality and genius of 300’s. Incidentally I solved the AR problem this morning by thoroughly cleaning the AR mechanism.
I have a relatively new Mitchell 300A in my collection and it is a nice reel too. I have a 306 and a 406 , a 386 (a tank of a reel) I have one of the multipliers, in good condition but the badge has come off so unsure of model, Also I have a 308, 314, 324. They are all incredibly good reels and I am looking forward to using again. The 406 incidentally is a wee bit sluggish, although I have given it a basic service. I presume the issue may be with the ball bearing but didn’t go there yet until I feel comfortable with the task. Any advice always welcome! Thanks