Mitchell "For the young! For the Holidays"

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Simplex

Mitchell "For the young! For the Holidays"

Post by Simplex »

In this post, I would like to show that the Mitchell production was not only made for seasoned fishermen who love beautiful mechanics and that Mitchell also produces reels for young fishermen and also occasional fishermen.
For example the simplest and cheapest reel produced by a factory capable of also creating wonderful reels: the G32 and its derivative the Prisu32
Attached is a scan of a one-page double-sided leaflet inserted in the 1969 Mitchell catalog: advertisement of the G32 sold at a shock price for young people, for the holidays (translation of the text at the top of the page).
Sold by Mitchell to the marketers of fishing articles at a price of 6.65 F excluding taxes against 32.25 F excluding taxes for the 300
It is specified that taking into account the very low price, the After-Sales Service is limited to the only supply of spare parts of the nomencature (visible on the exploded view which is on the cover of the box)
Also attach a photo of the four models I have and a small set of parts.
I don't think that many collectors are interested in this type of reel, but for me they are part of the Mitchell story, Mitchell has always been involved in the promotion of fishing to young people and also participated in from many Best Regars,
CL
pub G32.jpg
pub G32.jpg (327.4 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
Prisu32G32.jpg
Prisu32G32.jpg (412.8 KiB) Viewed 4437 times

cshannon772

Re: Mitchell "For the young! For the Holidays"

Post by cshannon772 »

Hello Christian,
Your Prisu and "G" reels look identical to my Garcia Kingfisher "K" reels. :shock: Here is a New in the Box Garcia Kingfisher K25.
Kingfisher K25.jpg
Kingfisher K25.jpg (141.56 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
There was no paperwork with the box and reel even though that doesn't necessarily indicate that there wasn't any, I've not seen any. I also have a Garcia Kingfisher K35 that is lightly used but still nice.
Kingfisher K35.jpg
Kingfisher K35.jpg (128.37 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
The K35 is a little smaller than the K25 and appears to be better made with an anti-reverse switch and a metal body.
Kingfisher.jpg
Kingfisher.jpg (170.05 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
Kingfisher 1.jpg
Kingfisher 1.jpg (144.32 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
Both of these reels were made in France but I'm not sure in what years. I can find no advertising in the Garcia Fishing Annuals of the Garcia Tackle Catalogs. I just thought they were pretty neat little reels. Thank you Christian for sharing some little known Mitchell history.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

When I lived in Germany, 1974 to 1978, our base was at Lahr, about 35 miles from Strasbourg, France. At that time, a French franc was about $.25 CDN. Guessing that these reels were made about that time or earlier, the cost of these reels would be less than $2US. That is quoting Christian's price of 6.65f in his original post. I remember paying about $10 for a Compaq Clipper spin cast reel. So these basic pinning reels were super affordable. Interesting. We're they also marketed in the U.S.?

G, Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello Glen,
I did not know the K25, very well with its box.
Thank you for posting these photos
I have a few "K" and KIlt reels available in several colors, reels identical to the Galion manufactured by Mitchell
On the attached photo:
4 K35 and 1 Kilt 2 identical to the Galion 12 R
1 K45 and 1 Kilt 3 identical to the Galion 14 R
2 K55 and 1 Kilt 5 identical to the Galion 18R
1K72 and 1 Kilt 7 identical to the Galion 42R
Maybe there are others I don't know.
Best regards,
Christian
SERIE K.jpg
SERIE K.jpg (351.94 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello Chris,
I just looked at what I wrote last on this post, and I see that I was wrong on the first name of the one who replied and posted photos.
Sorry,
CL

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Christian,

Quelle collection!

If you post much more amazing stuff, we are going to have to organize a Tour of Mitchell Mates to fly to France and visit your Petite Musee! I know that I would love to see it! Peut etre c'est ne pas telement petite.

Felicitations

Glen

Simone Baschirotto

Post by Simone Baschirotto »

Christian your contribution is huge.
I believe your informative posts must be placed in a separate box outside the forums, or in any case inserted in the template cards when they return to the site.
Thank you for this information on reels not well known by Mitchell collectors. :text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-bravo: