301 reel grease/ lube

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
Jtsp

301 reel grease/ lube

Post by Jtsp »

What is the best grease/ lube to use on a Mitchell 301?
Thanks, Ted

Ed Horan

Re: 301 reel grease/ lube

Post by Ed Horan »

There are a lot of opinions on what grease to use. Everyone has a favorite. I would suggest using a grease that is made for fishing reels. Automotive grease tends to be a bit to thick for my use, so I stay away from it when servicing a fishing reel. I also stay away from white lithium grease. I've cleaned old reels that had white lube in them and the grease gets harder than an automotive grease once it dries out. A general rule of thumb is to service a reel once year. Grease on the bushings and sliding parts, and a good reel oil on the bearings if the reel has them. Apply sparingly. A little goes a long way, and the clean-up the following year will be easy. I use Penn Precision Grease because it's easily available and comes in small quantities. a good synthetic reel oil for the bearings and/or the bail arm pivots along with a drop of oil at each end of the handle will really make the reel feel like new.

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

We seem to have a abundance of Teds at the moment...

I run synthetics in just about everything, including my reels. I like Mobile 28 and Mystic Full Synthetic. You don’t need a ton, and I think the notion of once a year is right on the money for reels that get used-although a lot of reels here seem to get display use only. I agree that white lithium should be avoided, it is fine when it is fresh, but, shelf life is much shorter, as is in use life.

A freshly serviced reel is a joy to use.

Ted

Jtsp

Post by Jtsp »

Thanks very much for the info!
Ted

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I use Viperlube or Superlube, both synthetic.

Glen

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

I too use synthetic grease, a military grade TW25B, probably way too expensive for reels but it's on-hand as I use it for my guns. I see no reason to buy different grease for my reels. I tried Penn Reel lube but the reels feel sluggish afterwards. This grease is lightweight, long-lasting and works well for the ultralights. More information can be found here https://mil-comm.com/tw25b.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

I have had good luck with Blaster.
One 300 is going on 2 years, and still runs like a clock, not gumbed up just gray film.
When cleaned that comes off.
Do not like grease, most of it breaks down and gums up.
Am sure something better is out there.

linewinder

Post by linewinder »

jtwill98 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:58 am I too use synthetic grease, a military grade TW25B, probably way too expensive for reels but it's on-hand as I use it for my guns. I see no reason to buy different grease for my reels. I tried Penn Reel lube but the reels feel sluggish afterwards. This grease is lightweight, long-lasting and works well for the ultralights. More information can be found here https://mil-comm.com/tw25b.
This grease is listed as “NLGI Grade 1 Synthetic Grease” whereas, I believe, most reel greases are grade 2. Like the Superlube.

whiskeyjack

Post by whiskeyjack »

Schrack wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:33 pm I have had good luck with Blaster. . . . . .
You use "Blaster" silicon spray lube?

whiskeyjack

Post by whiskeyjack »

Jtsp wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:44 pm What is the best grease/ lube to use on a Mitchell 301?
Thanks, Ted
There is a Penn reel lube kit on Amazon for reasonable money. Not sure if I like that grease yet. That, and I'm leaning toward using oil on the axle rather than grease. Don't know much yet,,,still too green.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Jtsp wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:44 pm What is the best grease/ lube to use on a Mitchell 301?
Thanks, Ted
Ted,
Of course you would use the same lube on a 301 as a 300. Then take into account where you are going to be fishing, freshwater or saltwater. If you are a saltwater fisherman you might want to consider the modern lubricants that have anti-corrosion properties like Corrosion-X. Don has several other types he has had good luck with.
You can now buy Corrosion-X grease and oil and I am experimenting with both.
In the past I used Diawa oil which came in a needle tipped dispenser and Diawa blue grease.
corrosionX pic.jpg
corrosionX pic.jpg (149.45 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
diawa grease.jpg
diawa grease.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
diawa oiler pic.jpg
diawa oiler pic.jpg (203.25 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

I like this stuff, a lot:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server3300 ... 80.png?c=2

You can use a minimal amount, and it stays put like nothing I’ve ever seen. Probably overkill on a fishing reel, but, I have it on hand for other tasks, so, it goes on everything. Syringes containing Mobile 28 are available online, as the stuff has been discovered by guys who work on gun triggers. There really isn’t anything else that compares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOBIL-28-TRIGG ... ect=mobile

Ted

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

I use Blaster White Lithium, have used it for several years and does great.

dan2116

Post by dan2116 »

I use Suplube grease mixed with Supelube oil to a consistency of light or thin cream. It has worked great for me on Mitchell's especially for many years. They don't like heavy grease.