The Mitchell that time forgot.

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
FusilDarne

The Mitchell that time forgot.

Post by FusilDarne »

Probably around 1978-1980, my brother ponied up and bought a new Mitchell 300, more than likely from Target stores. Target had a pretty good Sporting goods department, at the time, sadly gone, today. Very early on, my brother broke the reel foot off. My Dad had a welder for a neighbor, who tried to V the handle stem, and repair the reel. My Dad would have been POed at having to figure out a repair. He spent a lot of time POed at my brother.

The welder was unsuccessful. The foot disappeared, probably in a puddle, under the torch. The reel went into a cabinet in my Dad’s shop, wrapped in a death shroud of greasy rags, and was forgotten about.

I found it a week or two ago, right where the two of them left it. The ‘bay delivered a used, but, usable, body, to get the old reel in service again. I spent a few pleasant hours in the shop today, making it so. My Dad, a product of the Great Depression, would not have thrown it away, but, even though the reel would have been a great source of parts, I can’t see that he would have ever attempted to utilize those parts on his own reels, all even number Mitchell’s, just like this one:

As a basically unused reel, it is wonderfully tight and crisp. The main body is not in the same pristine condition as the rest of the reel, but, I doubt the northern pike and walleye I chase will care much about that.

Ted

Bonaventure

Re: The Mitchell that time forgot.

Post by Bonaventure »

I have a Mitchell or two like this, made up from parts. I bought a body from Ebay because I had a 300 given to me that had a broken foot.

Happy New Year to all.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

It must have been a bitter disappointment to my brother, and my dad. But, we rode our bikes everywhere, and, stuff happened.

My brother replaced the reel with a Mitchell 9000, and, later, a low end Shimano. The Eagle Claw rod the 300 started out life on is still around, but, I find something better for the 300 to go on. The 9000 is sitting on a shelf in the basement. I really have no interest in it.

Ted

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I bought a Berkeley Buchaneer fiberglass 7 foot rod back about 1972 or 73. It came with a Berkeley reel that I used in both fresh and salt water. I caught a rather large cod on it near the mouth of Halifax Harbour.

I took it to Germany on posting and found that the reel was corroded beyond use because I did not rinse it off like I should have. Bought a Mitchell 300 (should have bought more at about $15 each). I put the 300 on that Berkeley rod and used it for about 40 years. Caught all sorts of fish with this outfit. Changed the odd eye (not with great skill), put shrink tube on to cover a cork handle that was filled with Bondo, finally retired it.

Got my money’s worth from that purchase.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

Did the 300 need to be retired? Most are just a spare part or two away from being back in service.

Ted

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

No, I still have the 300, still fish with it on a Shimano rod of similar dimensions.

Glen