The unmarked GOLD 330 autobail

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Robcfish

The unmarked GOLD 330 autobail

Post by Robcfish »

Howdy gentleman
I'm not sure if you men gave up on my gold 330, and didn't read the rest of my posts. So I figured by creating a new topic you all can see my post.
Ok upon starting to clean my gold 330 with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol (which cleans the inscription incredibly) I swiped across the inscription a couple times. I looked and thought why isn't that turning white? So I got this incredible chill through my body thinking is that gold inlay? So I grabbed my magnifying glass with built in light (Amazon) and took I long hard look.
And infact my 330 without a doubt in my mind is in fact a factory GOLD accented 330 autobail right down to the GOLD Mitchell inscription. I scrubbed pretty hard on the inscription and yah that gold inlay is definitely factory gold inlay. So please what do you all think now? I wasn't even aware of the gold inlay until I started cleaning my reel. I would really like to hear what you experts have to say now, with the gold inlay coming to light.
Thanks again guys I definitely would be lost without you all.
Rob C Fish
Ps: I took a couple pictures and you just can't tell in the pictures that the inlay is gold. I'll keep trying to get it to show up in a picture.

Robcfish

Re: The unmarked GOLD 330 autobail

Post by Robcfish »

Sorry Gentlemen
My 330 is not a 1970. I apperantly was reading the very hard to make out serial number upside-down. That being said my Gold accented 330 was born in 1959 #2621466. Talcum powder works amazingly well. Thanks for that tip!!
Sorry about the blunder.
Thanks again Rob C Fish

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Robcfish,
While your 330 is very interesting, I can tell you honestly that the reel you describe and photographed is not a factory original. The DL series reels never had gold inlay in the engraving - that was not seen until the 1980's Bass Pro Shops 400 and 408 "G" reels. Gold plating at home is a relatively easy process if you have the gold filament with a cathode, anode and electrical current, anything can be plated, and more easily on chrome. Sorry Mate, I've closely examined your photos but it's either a home plating job or added NOS DL parts on a GM 330. Thank you for the photos and enthusiasm but the bottom line is your reel didn't come from a Mitchell France factory.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Well I've been a mechanic my entire life as well as my older brother and nearly all my friends. I seriously think you are wrong about plating at home being easy. None of us have ever heard of anyone plating at home. I guess if you where set up to plate, but who is set up to plate besides someone who does it for a living or in other words a professional. And how could someone plate an inscription without plating the entire piece? You seem to know more about plating then I do. So is plating chrome the same as plating aluminum? A please explain how someone could plate an inlay on a Mitchell?
Didn't you say in one of you're posts ; anything is possible with Mitchell? .
I guess I'll have to see if in fact it is possible for an average guy to plate at home without going broke getting set up.

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Rob, I have reviewed your photos from your original post. You have nothing special about your reel that indicates it has gold with accents. To me, your reel shows a significant amount of wear and the chrome plating has come off, which is exposing the brass. We all do find exciting when we find something so unique, but we are unsure of its significance. Having done this since 1968 I can tell you with 100% confidence your real lacks any gold accents. Not one enthusiast in this group want to discourage you from your collecting journey, The reason for this group is to bring as much authenticity with words to Garcia/Mitchell reels. Thank you
Kind Regards, Scott

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Robcfish,

I completely agree with Scott. I appreciate your mechanical background but plating is not a mechanical process. I'm a systems engineer and I can assure you that it's not that complicated - a google search away. I have a friend and fellow Collector in Europe that in fact, made a Mitchell 304 DL which is beautiful - In his home shop. If he didn't mark it as his own (the ethical thing to do), you wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't factory original; except that Mitchell never made a 304 DL. He even plated the plastic drag knob, but I have no idea how he did it - Mitchell did it with the factory DL reels so it's obviously possible. I have, as you point out, said many times that anything is possible with Mitchell but many things are also highly improbable and your 330 is one. I'm not sure where the photos went of your gold 330 but I can still tell you that it's not Factory original to Mitchell - There is no advertising for a Garcia Mitchell 330 DL in existence, nobody else in the collecting community (and I've been collecting for over 11 years) has ever seen a Garcia Mitchell 330 DL and Mitchell never plated the engraving on the faceplates of any DL reel (previous comment on the 400 and 408 G reels are the exception). I'm happy to help with any other questions you may have on any other Mitchell reels but I consider this my last comment on this issue.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Well you make it sound like I have to take you're word for it. I can't prove what it is either way. Thanks Chris.
Uh Scott. When is the last time you had you're eyes checked. The bail and fasteners where both gold plated. Yes the gold plating is wearing off as I pointed out several times. But if as you suggested that the chrome was stripped off down to brass. Then why is the bail and fasteners still shiny chrome, with gold in places? You are completely wrong about there being no gold plating. It was at one time a georgeous reel. I would have loved to see it in its previous glory. The gold accents as I've stated before are the bail and fasteners, all the screws including the grease screw in SC I mean but, and the not at all possible to strip chrome off of aluminum handle. The handle still has quite a bit of gold on it. Very much faded as I've said before. It's obvious this reel was in a flood, a tornado, or a hurricane and spent some time outside in the elements. I do not believe in lying. And I absolutely despise people that do lie. I know what I see on this reel. And I would never suggest that it had gold accents, if in fact it did not. I would not have posted anything or any pictures on this forum if there where no gold accents. So please in the future Scott, do not ever call me or suggest that I am lying about anything that I ever post again!
I cant prove either way what happened to this reel or how and where it was made. The best I can do now is research gold plating. And if it is plausible to due at home. I will return this reel to its former glory. Of course after I go with a witness to a notary to get legal proof that this reel does in fact have gold accents before I try to repair the faded GOLD ACCENTS!
You are unbelievable Scott! Thank you Chris and the rest that have given there opinions without calling me a liar. Piece farewell until the next possible treasure is uncovered. Rob C Fish

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Robcfish,
Sincerely, you don't have to take my word for anything. All we're doing here is sharing our experience and opinions based on years of research, collaboration with other collectors from around the world and our own observations. Having reviewed and thought about Scott's response to your question, I can't see or rationalize how/where he called you a liar. I do believe that he, as well as I, pointed out that your assessment of your reel was mistaken.....that is not uncommon and only exclusive to you - we have all been there as beginning Mitchell enthusiasts/collectors (it's exciting to find something different). I've known Scott for many years, both as a fellow Mitchell Collector (far more experienced than I) and also as a good friend. He's helped me learn over the years (at times telling me I was wrong as well) and I honestly believe he was helping you learn too. Stay enthusiastic. We're here to help and you won't find the Mitchell expertise anywhere on the internet than here in the MRM.
Kind Regards,
Chris

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

It's widely known there was an unscrupulous entity creating fake DL reels for profit. Though I've never personally handled one. Even boxes. See photo. Admittedly, its a beautiful box, but not produced by Mitchell. Maybe that is why this 330 has gold accents.

Sandman
DL Fake Box.jpg
DL Fake Box.jpg (19.55 KiB) Viewed 199 times

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Robcfish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:56 pm YOUR REPLY TO CHRIS:
Well you make it sound like I have to take you're word for it. I can't prove what it is either way.

YOUR REPLY TO SCOTT:
Uh Scott. When is the last time you had your eyes checked.
So please in the future Scott, do not ever call me or suggest that I am lying about anything that I ever post again! I cant prove either way what happened to this reel or how and where it was made. The best I can do now is research gold plating. And if it is plausible to due at home. I will return this reel to its former glory. Of course after I go with a witness to a notary to get legal proof that this reel does in fact have gold accents before I try to repair the faded GOLD ACCENTS!

THEN YOUR REPLY TO BOTH:
You are unbelievable Scott! Thank you Chris and the rest that have given there opinions without calling me a liar. Piece farewell until the next possible treasure is uncovered. Rob C Fish

“THE ABOVE EXCERPTS WERE TAKEN FROM AN ORIGINAL POST BY ROB C FISH AND WERE IN RESPONSE TO CHRIS SHANNON AND SCOTT IBBITSON, BY THE SITE’S GROUP LEADER AND THE SITE’S ADMINISTRATOR, WALLACE CARNEY ON APRIL 18, 2024”
To Everyone Involved, There are so many things that need to be addressed that I’m finding it impossible to get through all of them, so excuse me for summarizing the ones I thought were most necessary!

Mr Fish, From the very beginning of this topic you should have submitted high quality photos of your reel to help us understand what you are suggesting, but you didn’t so anyone attempting to help you would be literately going in blind. From what I have seen, the pictures of your reel were very poor quality, so poor that nothing at all could be determined, and you were asking for someone to help you prove it was a rare factory original reel that you discovered and that, from the start, was never going to happen.

You and everyone else needs to know that if you want to make claims to the MRM Group and ask us to help you with your claims, whatever it may be will always need to pass the smell test! After studying your claim with absolutely zero proof, and poor quality pictures, and no documentation, I found it hard to come up with the best term to describe your claim, so here’s the top ten terms that I came up with for you to choose from:

• Unsubstantiated
• Speculative
• Unsupported
• Questionable
• Dubious
• Unverified
• Unfounded
• Unsupported
• Baseless
• Disputed

And yet the top two moderators in our group attempted to tell you in the nicest way possible that you were wrong. And while we are on this subject, you can add my name to the doubters list as well. And then, what did you do instead of just agreeing to disagree, or thanking them for their “solicited” opinions, you went on the attack and accused them of things that never happened, even making accusations of Scott Ibbitson lying, which never happened, and that’s where you crossed the line! Then you accuse him of saying you were lying? I can’t find anything that you’re saying to be a fact, so what exactly are you talking about?

For your information and everyone else, should know Scott has been assisting me, and YOU, with everything I’ve ever asked of him for the MRM for well over two decades, so I do know him very well, enough to know that he is not, and never was, or will never ever be a liar, period!!!

And to let you know something about the MRM and what we subscribe to and even in life in general:

• Just because you say something doesn’t make it true!
• Just because it’s written in a book also doesn’t make it true!
• When someone gives you an opinion that’s different than yours doesn’t make them a liar!
• Gold doesn’t fade like bronze, brass, or any other metal does including chrome!
• Applying gold leaf to anything is so simple that it’s been done for centuries!
• Gold plating is not the same thing as applying gold leaf!

But then, look at what you said to Chris Shannon after asking for his help! Twice he gave you what you asked for and did you thank him? No, you just said he was trying to make you “take his word on it” and now I’ll just tell you what you need to know: when you come to the MRM and ask for help, advice, support, opinion or anything else, free of charge, you should take our word on it and show your support which is all we ask from you!

When you repay us with false accusations, when you show no appreciation for our service, and when you show blatant disrespect towards anyone, especially those who are trying to help without any compensation for their service, then I’d rather you just leave and not come back!

Finally, and to be honest, I’m only telling you what I have because I was asked to help when all I wanted to do was to just ban you for violating the terms of membership! So you and anyone else who wants to be angry, demanding, defiant, disrespectful, etc, etc, or go against the terms of their membership are warned! This is my happy place and I won’t let anyone disturb or disrespect my peaceful home!

Sincerely,
Wallace Carney
Group Leader, Founder
Administrator