What year is this new old stock 330?

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Robcfish

What year is this new old stock 330?

Post by Robcfish »

Howdy gentleman, and Scott.
I just received another new reel, woohoo.
This is a a very clean never used 330. I went to look up the year and I'm not sure which year I would be from. Maybe Chris can help me with this serial number debacle. Here it is please tell me what you think. S/N 3061160
It appears to me it's to low of a number to be upper year and to high a number to be in the lower year. Have I possibly found a new low number for the higher year? Please give me you're opinions, even you Scott as long as you are going to actually be nice and unassuming!!!
Thanks again Rob C Fish

cshannon772

Re: What year is this new old stock 330?

Post by cshannon772 »

Rob,
Congratulations on finding a Third or Fourth Version (not possible to tell without detailed photos) Mitchell 330. Your 330 is from 1961/62. Please understand that the manufacture of Mitchell reels over their history was very fluid. There were many different models, versions and variations of those models in a constant evolution. Some of our Collectors/Enthusiasts/Historians here have been studying for decades and we still don't have a complete, definitive and exact timeline of all the Mitchell reels. You're a Mechanic - Think the Ford Mustang from 1964 to present, you can get most of the information from the VIN# but it doesn't tell the history of that particular car - and Ford kept much better records/documentation than Mitchell France in the 1940's. (I used the Mustang because I have a few of those too!)

Kind Regards,
Chris

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Well Chris I will put my Thank you up here hopefully I will not be accused ounce again for not thanking you. I thanked you for all of you're imput on my questions. As well as everyone else that chimed in. I end all my posts with either thank you or thanks Rob C Fish. I meant absolutely no disrespect to anyone. If anyone took it that way or whom ever took it that way. Seriously? Lighten up. I as everyone else am just trying to have fun. As for the pictures of my 330 I asked for help. I posted the only picture size that this site would allow me. But crazy how nobody said the pictures where of poor quality until I got accused of a bunch of unreasonable accusations. Everything I said was with a light hear and joking tone. The guy did absolutely say that my reels did not have gold accents and was probably stripped to brass. If in fact that was the case. I would have brought that to everyone's attention. That was in my world being called a liar. So I lite heartedly replied in a joking manner. If who ever accused me of being disrespectful and all that other nonsense without even speaking to me or asking me what my angle was, instead of doing exactly what he accused me of. Then locking me out so I can't reply? Come on guy lighten up. I'm not mean or disrespectful. I'm light hearted and joking. But if that's what this sight is going to be like . Attacking patrons who asked questions and gave my opinions as well. Then you can continue to be serious and stuffy with no sense of humor. I'll just leave you all to be how ever you want to be. As for time knowing someone doesn't excuse them for accusing someone of lying. Or if you still think saying my reel didn't have gold accents after I said it did and posted pictures isn't calling me a liar. Then wow! My mistake I've always thought when you say something and another person says no way. That is in fact calling that person a liar. That is probably the only way anyone can actually get me angry is accusing me of lying. I absolutely despise people who lie. So if I over reacted, hey sorry .
At the same time guy shouldn't call anyone a liar, especially when the proof is posted. If you all in fact would like to see better higher quality pictures? Please do explain to me how to post high quality pictures when the site limits are so small on posting pics. I was up all night trying to figure out how to give you guys pictures. I posted them and not one person said they where bad. Until I was accused of all that nonsense. And I'm always absolutely 100% grateful and thank everyone for every post. So now I'm being accused of not being thankful as well. What the heck. I end every post just like this thanks or Thank you Rob C Fish

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Robcfish,
I don't think anyone said you were a liar....Mistaken or wrong; Absolutely. Because you are. I believe that people here who have observed/evaluated Mitchell reels, over many years, some of the rarest in the world are probably qualified to evaluate your reel. You need to realize that the MRM is a gathering place for some of the most experienced Mitchell Enthusiasts and Collectors from around the world - We are not just a group of fisherman with a common interest in a particular reel. Many of us have $XX,XXX invested in our collections, thousands of hours of study and research and have published books on the Mitchell Reel. We do take our hobby kind of seriously but do have fun in the process. Many of us have been friends for years and some even back before there was an internet (read mailings back and forth) so to have someone that none of us ever heard of (You) come here and tell us that their wrong - well that's not going to go over well. Nobody here makes a claim such as yours (and with insistence) without getting others opinion after their observations through very detailed photos or actually sending them the reel for their personal review and response. That's just the way it works here so you can either adjust and adapt to participate or be along your way. I hope you'll join in and participate but we'll not be compromised with falsehoods and speculation....And we sign out using our real names.

Kind Regards,
Chris