Gold accents

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Robcfish

Gold accents

Post by Robcfish »

Hey there I have come up with what I can tell(serial # hard to make out) is a1970 Mitchell 330 that has Gold accents. I didn't notice the gold in the pictures that I purchased it by. But as I unpacked it I was pleasantly surprised. Although the gold is fading, I can't help but to think this might be a special reel.
Have you any idea what this is? Other then what I specified of course. Thanks Rob C Fish
I tried to attach a picture but apparently that is to big to attach.

cshannon772

Re: Gold accents

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Rob,
I'm not aware of any Mitchell 330's being made with gold accents. The Mitchell reels with gold accents were designated "DL" or "G" engraved on the faceplate such as the 300, 400, 410, 408 etc. I and I'm sure the other Mates would be interested in photos. See the instructions for posting photos to the MRM

Kind Regards,
Chris

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

At the bottom of the DL page it does actually talk about a black with gold accent 330, but it say it was not an autobail. Mine is an outobail. I'll try to figure out why my pics will not load. I'm aware of the DL treasure reels. I actually have 2, a 300 DL which ounce originally belonged to W, Stephenson. And I have a 408 DL. They are both unused and besides the gold paint failing on one of the 300DL spools are both about as mint as they can be. I'm about the same age and there in way better condition then I'm in.
Thanks Rob C Fish

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Rob,
One thing I have learned during my Mitchell collecting is “Never say Never” and anything is possible. I think that 330 you’re referring to is the Mitchell 330 Gold which was a limited production kit from the 1980s. Still would be very interested in seeing your 330. :D Agree that Mitchell reels retain their utility far longer than us!

Kind Regards,
Chris

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

I had a big reply typed out and lost it trying to put up a picture. And I still can't figure out how to get it done.
The gold accents on my 330 are the bolts on the autobail linkage, the bail and split mounting screw, the release button on the spool, the large oiling screw in the back of the reel plus the crank and the 3 side cover screws. Most of the gold is fading but is definitely noticeable. And my 330 unlike the 330 gold mine is an autobail and there is no G imprinted on mine
So how in the world can I put up a pic. I'm using my Samsung S10 phone. Thanks Rob C Fish
Ps: I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about my 300 and 408 DL's

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Hi RobCFish,

I thought I would add my 2 cents to this discussion. To the best of my knowledge Garcia/Mitchell made gold display presentation reels in 300 DL, 408 DL, 410 DL, 400 G and 408 G. There were also a completely plated (100% entire reel) in gold 300 DL, there were also a few very specific presentation reels that had gold accents with engraving present. These reels have been shown by very esteemed enthusiasts from time to time in various social media platforms.
In referenced remarks by Chris, only the Mitchell 330 Quartz reel with a few specific gold accents on this reel. Only 2500 of these reels were manufactured. There is the possibility that someone may have replaced some specific gold parts that might have fit your reel. Going back thru all ephemera that Garcia had disseminated I have yet to find this reel advertised. If you are having difficulty adding photos it is most likely a sizing issue of your photos. You can if you would like to reach out to me on Facebook Messenger and send me photos of your reel. If your reel would be found to be authentic, you would have a very rare find indeed. Thank you for your contributions to this forum.
Kind Regards,
Scott Ibbitson

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Robcfish,
I completely agree with Scott's assessment. Would love to see photos of your 330. I didn't specifically point out your 300 or 408 DL reels because they really aren't that rare. They are special reels, but many collectors have one or more in their collection - I have four. The rare production DL Mitchell is the early 1970's Special (vice Garcia) Mitchell 410 DL, one of which I have but there are others. You may have a very special reel that none of us have seen or heard of - that's happened before (and I hope so!) but will need more details to provide a sound assessment and advice.

Kind Regards,
Chris

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

RobCFish, If you are using your phone to upload pictures you would need a resizing app on your phone to shrink the pictures pixels. I use Photoresizer. Take pictures of your reel. Pull up app and load pictures to resize 1 by 1. 750 pixels max. Come here to leave message and pictures. Follow prompts. Upload 1 at a time. You won't see the pictures until you post.
Kim

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Well I will definitely go start on that right after this. I apperantly have you're guys attention with my 330. So ill ask you here. My brother just sent me pictures of a Mitchell 315 with a serial number that is confusing me because it is SN# 0951565. I'm laking sleep and I just can't seem to figure out where it fits in.
Sorry guys I fell asleep. I'll get those 330 auto pics up asap.

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Finally
Finally
croc_1712574786663.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 428 times
1970,Mitchell 330 autobail gold accents
1970,Mitchell 330 autobail gold accents
croc_1712575159905.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 428 times
I hope the actually really works. Pain in the
I hope the actually really works. Pain in the
croc_1712575334098.gif (41.36 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Please work
Please work
croc_1712575509501.jpg (526.54 KiB) Viewed 428 times

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

croc_1712574786663.jpg
croc_1712575159905.jpg
croc_1712575334098.gif
croc_1712575509501.jpg

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Oh boy. I hope you can view these says error
croc_1712575794853.jpg (446.25 KiB) Viewed 427 times
The attachment croc_1712574786663.jpg is no longer available
The attachment croc_1712575159905.jpg is no longer available
The attachment croc_1712575334098.gif is no longer available
croc_1712575794853.jpg (446.25 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Well I really hope this worked. Spent all night fighting with it. And I hit submit and it said error again. I'm trying guy.
I am very much anti technology!! Or computer illiterate. Please freekin work!!!
Woohoo hell yah. Finally. Oh how I miss my phone that hung on the kitchen wall. And went ring ring.

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Here as few more of my pile.
croc_1712576567178.jpg
croc_1712576567178.jpg (686.09 KiB) Viewed 423 times
croc_1712592708782.jpg
croc_1712592708782.jpg (580.81 KiB) Viewed 423 times

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

From what I could tell someone bought gold parts or had them plated and put onto the reel for their own use. A lot of wear to those parts. From the other reels you have posted the Rapid would be the rarer one.
Kim

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

From what I could tell someone bought gold parts or had them plated and put onto the reel for their own use. A lot of wear to those parts. From the other reels you have posted the Rapid would be the rarer one.
Kim

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

It is really hard to tell . But from the picture this looks like it was used. But when I got it it looked like it had sat in a widow sil for decades. And everything the window got opened the reel fell. It was filthy and it did get some paint chips. I've gone over this reel several times and cleaned the outside , but I don't believe this reel has ever been on a fishing pole. I pulled the grease screw out of the back. Moved the bail all the way up cleaned the grease port. And stuck my very small boresight camera inside. It looks factory fresh inside. From the small amount that I could see. The gold screws look pristine but the bail wire and crank handle look terrible. Barely can tell there gold. Different process maybe? I don't know.
I have a rapid and a 350. I was planning on using my 350. But whoever previously owned it never cleaned the inside. They just opened it up put in more grease and went on abusing it. My Rapid is only for display. So as the 350 insides are about wore out. I was thinking about swapping the internals as the Rappid runs like it's factory new. Goo or bad idea, what say you??

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Robcfish,
I completely agree with Kim's assessment of your GM 330. In my opinion it is a homemade upgrade with the various gold DL hardware that is relatively easy to find. I make that assessment because all of the normally chrome parts are not all gold plated. What I do find very interesting are the Bail Mount and Bail Pivot screws being gold plated. Those screws are very specific to the 330, 440 and 540 which tells me that they were either gold plated by a home hobbyist or they were NOS parts from a Mitchell 440 DL. I don't know anyone who has ever seen the reported 440 DL but it makes me question that they may be real factory NOS. :? . With regard to your Mitchell Rapid, PLEASE leave it all original. Those reels are very hard to find in their original state. You can obtain gears for your Mitchell 350 from the big auction site online quite easily and those Rapid gears are matched for that reel and may not operate the same in a 350 body - shims, clearances, etc. Hope this helps and is obviously only my opinion/assessment.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Chris
Thank you by the way.
I thought the same as you about the bail fasteners. The bail was gold as well. I've never seen any home process that would gold plate anything, especially like what's on my reel. They look factory made to me. It really to bad its all faded. I would to have loved to see it brand new with all the gold. Hell the anti reverse lever was probably gold as well. If anyone knows of a kit that will allow me to do legitimate gold plating at home I would love to here about it. The other thing that got me is that my reel looks like it has never been used. It's hard to tell from the pictures I know. But up close inspection tells me this was someone's pride and joy. Hell it could of been swept up in a tornado and ended up sitting in the woods for a while. I haven't even cleaned it yet, I did a quick wipe down is all. When I find out how or where to get the plating done. I bring it back to its former glory.

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

Hey guys a bit more information on my 330 with gold accents.
I was going to do a cleaning on it when I noticed that the retaining pin for the autobail lock , is also gold. And if you think that one is hard to explain away. The letering is gold as well!!! Now explain to me how in the heck would someone be able to do I'd say any of this at home ? Sure you can buy screws and possibly find a gold reel crank ( I sincerely doubt that one ). But the bail was gold, the retaining hardware is gold, the retaining pin for the bail lock I'd gold. And what I feel pretty much tells that this is actually a factory made gold 330 autobail. The Garcia Mitchell and 3-3-0 are all gold and it appears that the spool release is gold as well.
I use rubbing alcohol on cotton balls to clean the body. It works incredibly on the lettering unless it's gold. Then it won't brighten up!!! Come on guys Chris had some suspicions and that was before I found the gold lettering. I'm a mechanic/ hobbiest.. I do a lot of things and I have never even heard of doing gold plating at home like one guy on here suggested was the way this reel was done. The only plating I know of is powder coating that can be done at home. It would be nearly impossible to color the letters gold at home. Ok bring it on guys I have a really funny feeling about this reel!!!
What say you???

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

OK, I'm going to take another stab at it. First off, I checked Dennis Roberts Value Guide on the 440 DL. It was listed in his book but not an actual picture of the reel. Made for a select client according to Dennis. Now we know those chrome parts were given a gold coat for the 440, so it's not too much to imagine that those parts could be put onto a 330. Since Garcia could ask Mitchell to build them almost anything the reel was probably made for a special employee. Salesman, retirement after years of service. No matter what, that is a special reel judging from the gold parts on it.
Kim

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

Site double posted. Kim

Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

I thought yah someone probably added the gold parts. But when I started cleaning it with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol, which claens the inscriptions perfectly. I started cleaning the inscription and noticed it's not turning white. So I stopped cleaning. Grabbed my lighted magnifying glass and just about fell over. It didn't turn white with cleaning because it's not white. It is 100% factory Gold inlay.
I just wish there was some kind of documentation of this reel. Some kind of proof that Mitchell made it, besides the gold inlay. I believe that if there still are some naysayers about this reel.
Please explain to me how anyone besides Mitchell can color there inscription GOLD.
I am 100% positive now this is a factory produced
1970 Mitchell 330 autobail in GOLD!!!

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

I notice this post is from the First of April. :lol:

}<)))'> Bailarm
Robcfish

Post by Robcfish »

No this is not an April fools prank!
I put up the pictures of the 330 autobail that I purchased off of Ebay. When I opened the box and pulled out the reel. I noticed it had gold accents.
So I posted it on this forum asking if anyone had any idea what this is. Thank you for the responses, except for the guy that needs glasses and called me a liar!
The pictures show the gold accents on the chrome as well as the aluminum handle. Make of it what you will.
Thanks Rob C Fish

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Robcfish,
I'm going to try to get through to you one more time:
Robcfish wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:22 pm Please explain to me how anyone besides Mitchell can color there inscription GOLD.
I am 100% positive now this is a factory produced
1970 Mitchell 330 autobail in GOLD!!!
Five very experienced Mitchell Collectors (Combined well over 100 years varied Mitchell collecting experience) have responded that your reel is not a factory original. I've explained roughly how the plating process works. Yet you insist that it is Mitchell factory produced - is that based on your vast Mitchell experience or wishful thinking??? I'm done being diplomatic: You have what we Collectors refer to as a Franken Reel. It's a Frankenstein Mitchell reel, someone in the past thought it would be cool to make an average GM 330 into something special To Them both by adding commonly accessible DL parts or plating or painting. That's the end of it...I have every one of Garcia Fishing Annuals - this reel never shows up in advertising, I have most of the Garcia Fishing Tackle Catalogs - this reel never shows up in advertising. There are no gold Garcia Mitchell 330's. Resign yourself to the fact that you have a great Mitchell 330 suitable to mounting on a rod and go fishing with it as opposed to wasting your time (and ours) arguing over this particular reel - it's not working.
Kind Regards,
Chris