44A Bail arm snap ring?

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Martin O'Leary

44A Bail arm snap ring?

Post by Martin O'Leary »

Hi, I am new to this site and would like to ask a question regarding a "Match 44A" I have built one using parts from 3 reels. I need a part from the bail arm to complete it! At the end of the bail arm wire there is a small grove that has a "split clip" to locate the fixing nut but i cant find where I can get one from, or the required size!! Is there a parts list available to download that would detail the part required? It seems a shame not to complete my little project due to missing one tiny component. Any help would be gratefully accepted. Martin.

Ted Lanham

Re: 44A Bail arm snap ring?

Post by Ted Lanham »

Martin O'Leary,
:text-welcomeconfetti: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
I'm not familiar with a "Match 44A". Might you mean 440A?

Regards,
Ted Lanham

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

I don't recall seeing a snap ring to hold the bail to the arm, only a nut. Perhaps a c-clip would work.

If anyone can answer your question, it would be Fred Oakes in the forum at the https://alantani.com. He has the largest collection of donor reels, new and used parts for Mitchell reels that I've ever came across. Send him a private message or post the question in the Mitchell forum channel at that site, if you don't get a response here.

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

I was wondering if what you think is a slot for a clip, isn't really just a part of the threads left behind from where someone may have broken the bail by trying to remove a seized nut. Just a thought.

Here's the link showing a portion of what Fred has available. I believe someone else was looking for a spool for a Mitchell 308/408, they might want to check with him as well.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36163.0

Fred posted the following in January:
(18) 27 Quart Crates of New Old Stock Mitchell parts.
(22) 27 Quart Crates of complete Mitchell Reels.
600 - 700 Mitchell spools