date of msnufscture

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
itimbomail

date of msnufscture

Post by itimbomail »

Hi,
Can anyone identify the date this 300 reel was built? On the foot of the main casting, I think there is a single number, but it id very obscured; could be a 5 or 6.
I'm assuming it's a model 300 - only "Mitchell" is engraved, and one casting has "Made in France" in relief.
Thanks in advance!
Tim
IMG-0040_small.jpg
IMG-0040_small.jpg (729.25 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
IMG-0039_small.jpg
IMG-0039_small.jpg (713.93 KiB) Viewed 5519 times

piscesman

Re: date of msnufscture

Post by piscesman »

Earliest would be 1952. And latest date 1955. Probably had a sticker attached to reel faceplate. As you look at the reel body from the picture examine the outer lower rim of body to the right of the foot. I can barely see the serial number stamped there. It would give you a better idea of when it was made. By the way, the handle is wrong for the reel. Mitchell shipped that reel with a spring-loaded handle.
Kim

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Tim,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum (MRM) Forum. :text-welcomeconfetti:

Kim is right, your reel is a 4th version and is the later series. We know this by several features your reel has such as the enlarged axle tunnel near the lube port, the raised screw holes from the oscillation slide guide on the back of the frame/housing, the oscillation gear without the 4 pins, and etc.
If you can read the serial number as Kim suggested we can give you a better date.

Will you be fishing or collecting it?
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

itimbomail

Post by itimbomail »

Hi Kim, Bill,
It looks like the number stamped on the large casting is 438770. The “4” is pretty hard to discern, but I think that’s it. Does that make it a 1954, according to the article on your site?
My reel as a kid was a 300, and I came into this one by accident when I bought a clutch of fishing gear for my kids to use, from local Craigslist. Anyway, I’m cleaning it up and plan to fish with it!
Thanks so much for your expert counsel,
Tim

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Tim,
Yes it's a 1954. That version is a good one to use for fishing. If I were you, I would either buy a new spool or replace the drag spring on the one shown as it's looking kind of rough for fishing. Also, need to take some 0000 steel wool or a brass brush to the axle, the slide guide and slide, and drive gear shaft can stand some love. The bail is losing chrome plating so keep an eye on that and make sure there are no rough spots. Replace it, if it gets bad.
Best of luck,
Kind Regards,
Bill

itimbomail

Post by itimbomail »

thanks again Bill, will take your advice. The bail in particular is rougher than it probaby looks in the picture. This website is a terrific resource!
Tim