300 no ser #, Raised stamp plate Made in France ?

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
554Owyhee?

300 no ser #, Raised stamp plate Made in France ?

Post by 554Owyhee? »

I have an older 300 with no serial number and it has the "MADE IN FRANCE" stamp on a raised plate. This is different from all my other 300 reels and I have not seen this on other reels. No, I have not seen a lot of other no serial number 300 hundreds, so I just wondered whether this is normal for the older reels. Also, does this help date the reels manufacture date?
Attachments
DSC_2136S.jpg
DSC_2136S.jpg (191.84 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
DSC_2133S.jpg
DSC_2133S.jpg (160.27 KiB) Viewed 3735 times

Rockape

Re: 300 no ser #, Raised stamp plate Made in France ?

Post by Rockape »

I have a couple like that , a 300 and a 440.

They are both serial numbered on the reel foot; one has a feint D stamp before the number (1974: Midnight Blue Mitchell Match) and the other. 300 has a G stamp (1977).

This has perplexed me also, because I have other reels from 1974/5 that do not have the raised Made in France casting, so maybe different foundries perhaps?

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

I couldn't edit my post, so I am adding a new comment.

I don't know why it didn't click with me straight away, but I am sure you have a replacement 1970's main body, possibly the reel stem/foot of the original was broken or damaged in the 70's and a replacement was bought, which could be why there is no serial number on the foot....?

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

554Owyhee,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum (MRM). :text-welcomeconfetti:

The raised oval was first pointed out to me in Wallace's book: The Mitchell Classic Spinning Reel These are sporadically found on Mitchell 300 models predominately for the 7th version reels. As far as I know, no one knows why this occurred, but as normal, there are numerous theories around. There are plenty of these housings around so it's not particularly rare but fun for us collectors to include in our collections.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I see an old looking head and faceplate, a line guide screw from pre 1963, an A/R lever from pre 1963, a crank handle from the eighties and replacement body (no SN) from the seventies...this reel may span four decades.

Sandman

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

Sandman wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:56 pm I see an old looking head and faceplate, a line guide screw from pre 1963, an A/R lever from pre 1963, a crank handle from the eighties and replacement body (no SN) from the seventies...this reel may span four decades.

Sandman
Lol..I didn't even notice the 80's crank, but yeah!...Four decades!