Half bail to full bail transition

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Pratt2112

Half bail to full bail transition

Post by Pratt2112 »

When did the first full bail 300 happen? I have a full bail 300 with serial number B40054. However, I've seen HALF bail 300's online with B prefix serial numbers much higher than that. Can anyone explain this so an 8 year old can understand? Thanks!

Scott

GreatLaker

Re: Half bail to full bail transition

Post by GreatLaker »

Pratt2112 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:32 am When did the first full bail 300 happen? I have a full bail 300 with serial number B40054. However, I've seen HALF bail 300's online with B prefix serial numbers much higher than that. Can anyone explain this so an 8 year old can understand? Thanks!
Scott
Scott,
Many collectors believe the first full bail reels began in the early 1950s. It is believed that Mitchell produced an early full bail reel which was made at the same time the half bail model was being made. Wallace Carney coined the term "Pilot Reel" for these unique initial full bail reels. Most of the Pilot reels have a "B" letter prefix serial number.

It is important to remember that Mitchell sold conversion kits which contained all the necessary parts to convert a 1/2 bail Mitchell to a full bail. Also, anyone could switch parts around and make a Pilot reel using a different housing.

If you would like a very good book on the Mitchell 300 I recommend: The Mitchell Classic Spinning Reel, by Wallace Carney.

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Pratt2112

Re: Half bail to full bail transition

Post by Pratt2112 »

Thanks for the response!