An unusual 'lefty'

A place to post history on anyone or anything associated with Mitchell...
Bailarm

An unusual 'lefty'

Post by Bailarm »

I wonder if anybody has seen a right hand wind reel like this before?

The axle seems deliberately not to be gripped by the casting, except where there are two unusual 'pressure marks'.

It also has unusual casting marks
RHW leftty unusual marks crimping axle.jpg
RHW leftty unusual marks crimping axle.jpg (293.75 KiB) Viewed 6036 times

LM in a circle....is this Thecla from Delle or is it someone else?

}<)))'> Bailarm
GreatLaker

Re: An unusual 'lefty'

Post by GreatLaker »

Hi Nobby,
Indeed a very unique housing. :shock: I have only ever seen one other like this but I can't remember where or when. We can tell that it is at least as old as the 4th version Mitchell reels (1951-1955), as the cover plate does not have the earlier anti-reverse spring pins, which were eliminated with the 4th version models. Does it have a serial number?

It would be quite interesting to see the back side of the frame, does it have the long axle tunnel? Also, can we see the rotating head inside, any casting marks in there?

My best guess as to what is going on with the two large depressions at the top of the axle sleeve is that Mitchell was experimenting again with how to attach or anchor the axle sleeve to the housing. By applying force to the housing (in the two circular areas) the metal (aluminum alloy) can be forced to expand and better anchor the axle sleeve to the housing. This technique was frequently employed in manufacturing on metals such as brass and aluminum. Sometimes known as peening or hammer peening in the USA.

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

Thank-you Bill. I will link to more images. The reel appeared on a Facebook Mitchell reel group yesterday and I asked permission to capture the image.

The original poster may be from the US and his post can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/Pops-Tackle-Bo ... 670343572/

In his reply to me he used the expression 'staking' for the marks and mentioned it was a watchmaker's term! There are several images attached to the post and the rotor also has the LM circled mark.

I wonder if Christian knows about this casting mark?

}<)))'> Bailarm
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The only cast mark found on very early (1960, beginning about 009000) 308 reels is LM1 and progressing to LM2 in 1961. The very first 308 reels (about the first 9000) did not have a casting mark, with the exception of one in the 003400 range that I have found. After 009000, they all had this cast mark. I think Christian did tell us once where LM was made. Cant remember if it stands for a town or company. I think company. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sandman

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

Sandman it's a 301 reel not a 308.

I believe Christain told us the first were made by Thecla in Delle, but I thought they put their name there, not a circled LM but I honestly can't remember now.

Another of these leftys with LM turned up in the UK last year I read.

}<)))'> Bailarm