New Mitchell Book

A place to post history on anyone or anything associated with Mitchell...
Gps

New Mitchell Book

Post by Gps »

The Mitchell Century – A Reel Revolution
An Enthusiast’s Guide to the Models and Varieties of the Mitchell 300 Series of Fishing Reels, Designed & Built in Cluses, France

By George Saul
[email protected]

Size: 8.5 x 11 in.
Binding: Soft Cover
Pages: 226

This new book examines over 50 models of the Mid-Size, egg shaped Mitchell reel design, both in left hand and right hand versions. The story begins when records were first kept in 1948, at the start of commercial production of the original Mitchell reel. It explores the key characteristics of each model, when it was made and how the reel was packaged and marketed.
The Mitchell Century Front and Back Cover.jpg
The Mitchell Century Front and Back Cover.jpg (251.5 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
With the cooperation and assistance of Bernard Caminade, Christian Lhermitte and Jean-Noel Bohn, long time collector, George Saul, reviewed and audited the original documents that were kept by the head of Mitchell reel production, M. Emile Pugeot. This analysis produced an authenticated table of the recorded production volumes, by model and year, and is published in the appendix of the book.

These tables have been used to assist with the production of a potential sequence for the serial numbers stamped on the reel, that ran through the entire series of Mid-Size models, from the early 1950’s until the end of the 1980’s.
The Mitchell Century Chapter 1, 2.jpg
The Mitchell Century Chapter 1, 2.jpg (187.71 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
The book has been organized by the evolution of the various designs of the boxes that the reels were packaged in, which were common across all of the different models at the time. The chapter on the boxes has multiple subsections, one for each of the box types, plus the other boxes that were created alongside the general production boxes.

It commences with the reels sold in the original two piece card box with the colored lid, through to the final section which deals with the transfer of production out of France after 1988, and the various styles of other boxes and blister packs that accompanied that move.
The Mitchell Century Chapter 3, 4.jpg
The Mitchell Century Chapter 3, 4.jpg (163.08 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
The book contains over 220 pages, with hundreds of colour photographs of the reels, boxes, product literature and catalogues, separated by the custom production for the Garcia Corporation in North America, the largest distribution territory, and the distributors in the rest of the world.
These studies will help collectors and enthusiasts identify how, and when, each model and variation evolved, and ensure that it is accompanied by the correct box and paperwork. The work grows into a comprehensive study of the development of an iconic family of products, spanning sixty years of distribution, in over 100 countries worldwide.

The book is available now, directly from the author, who can be contacted at:
[email protected].

The book is priced at $59.95, plus $4.83 shipping in the US.
Customers from other countries, please email the author for the rate for their country.

Bailarm

Re: New Mitchell Book

Post by Bailarm »

I'm lucky to have a copy of this book and I think it is outstanding.

So many interesting images of the factory, old adverts and publications. And every reel illustrated so perfectly.

The UK release sold out in four days without being advertised.... :o

}<)))'> Bailarm
Gps

Post by Gps »

Thanks for your comments, Nobby, and thanks for your help in pulling this all together.

Customers from the UK can still order the book, but will need to pay postage from the US, which is currently $27.15!

I will be traveling back to the UK at the end of January, and have put aside a small quantity of books that I can bring over, and can be mailed from there at UK postal rates.

If anyone from the UK would like a book after January, please let me know, and I will ensure I bring over enough copies.

Sysop

Post by Sysop »

I would like a copy of the book.

Sent a PM with my details.

Oh to be at my “Happy place" where nothing matters but being there….
allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Hi, I am a UK mitchell reel restorer.

My wife ordered the new Mitchell book as a birthday present, I am looking forward to receiving it, do not be put off, if like me you are in the UK.

I for years relied on the museum site for information until it was trashed, Wallace Carney`s book helped fill the gap. Regards Allan

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

For those in the UK there is once more stock ready for posting. Use the e-mail address in the original post and your details will be forwarded to the despatcher.

}<)))'> Bailarm