Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 pm • #  

I finally received the shims and bail trip lever spring I ordered for my 400 in the mail today. The serial number is 4177391. I greased the parts and assembled it and it's working really good. The only part that didn't come yet is the bail bumper. I was able to locate one of the original red ones that I ordered.

It's one of the reels that I inherited from an uncle and he had disassembled it just before he got sick and he died before he ever had a chance to work on it again. I found the parts in a box along with a bunch of other reels and fishing equipment that my aunt gave to me back in the 90s.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:54 pm • #  

Congratulations Rook,

Well done on a beautiful reel - I'm sure your late Uncle would be proud to see his reel back in service. You will need to ensure that the hole in the bail is clear before you attempt to insert the stem of the new bail bumper through the bail (the old stem often remains when the bumper deteriorates or breaks off). I use a straightened paper clip that I run through the hole to make sure its clear. A little WD40 on the new bail bumper stem will ease getting it through the hole and sitting flush on the bail. Note that the bumper has a small notch that will align on the bail. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:13 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Rook,
Great job. The 400 looks very nice. That red bumper you have coming is something that is a bit hard to find, I believe, so take care of it.
If you don't know this already, sometimes it's necessary to either file, or grind down screwdrivers so that they fit the side plate screws perfectly. If you have well fitted screwdrivers, you are less likely to mangle the screws, ore the sideplate. Just a tip.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 pm • #  

I know what you're talking about on the screws Ted. I'm sort of a stickler about that sort of thing myself but these already had someone with a wrong size screw driver working on them. I should have ordered some new ones but forgot about them.

I use a gunsmiths set of screw drivers when I'm working on small precision parts. I also have a set of watch makers screw drivers I use on really small screws.

I collect guns and buggered up screws have always been a pet peeve of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Rook,
It sounds like you have all the bases covered.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:15 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Rook,

Good job and good luck with the 400
If you ever need parts I have them in stock

Attachment:
DSCN1907.JPG

regards,

Dries :sAni_fish:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply