Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 48 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:00 pm • #  
Global Moderator

hello Group,

It's too bad that the listed  540 Dual is not sold with the matching  Conolon  rod . It could be well possible that there was a Balzer logo on the rod .
In the Netherlands Albatros put their logo on the Conolon rods including the dual series .
The early Conolon rods for the dual series had  DUAL BREVETÉ  written on it .

regards,   Dries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 pm • #  

Hi Group,

Well she finally went to the same collector as the previous one did for the sum of 705 Euros, worth it?

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:41 pm • #  

Hi Martin, I would say it went for less than I expected with the packaging.

I am also wondering what this 498 pro cut-a-way will bring, I haven't seen one of these on ebay yet. 260684466306 is the auction number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 pm • #  
Administrator

At just under $1,000, I'd say that was a fair price to both seller and buyer. The 498 cutaway is not factory made for a couple reasons but mainly it has a serial number. It's sad to see the "private" bidder running up the price!

Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 pm • #  

Hi Group,

I thought the 540 Dual went for a good price!.
The 498 cutaway is not original as it`s been said, the "private" bidder my not know if it`s right or not!, just my thoughts.

Regards James.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,

It is a shame but the seller of the cutaway has always appeared to be a good one, talking with a mate it does seem a bit odd he has listed it showing a serial number.

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:03 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

The seller of the cutaway has it listed properly, not claiming it to be authentic from what I see. I think by showing the serial number he's being honest.

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:07 pm • #  

Wallace,

Never looked at it that way, to used to looking for an excuse made up by sellers these days to sort of take away the blame if you know what I mean.

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am • #  

Hi James,

As a collector of these reels I take it serial numbers are NOT stamped on the foot of the cutaways, recentley spotted in France a cutaway once again showing a serial number, it may also appear the seller does not know what he is selling since he has been keen to show the serial number in his listing, I also have to question the spool that's on the reel.
IF it is a fake it sure would look good to some of our new in-experienced collectors as it seems to look "all that"

To someone who has no knowledge of these reels this looks "allday long" very nice, seen by many as a very rare and hard to find reel it could cost someone a lot of money.

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 pm • #  

I have a pristine 540 on a Conolon 4 star rod - the rod has some wear, but everything seems fine. I am thinking of offering this on Ebay. Any advice?

Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:39 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the group mate! You have a mighty good find there. If you had followed the threads before you had posted you have something alot of collectors dream about. We believe that only a little more than 1,100 of these reels were manufactured. If you are interested in selling it EBAY is a way to give it maximum worldwide exposure. It comes with a price though EBAY, PAYPAL, shipping and insurance fees. The Mitchell Reel Museum has great world wide exposure and many collectors view the museum everyday. You could post pictures of your reel and rod here and try to sell here. As a fellow collector I would love to see photo's of your reel. I can be almost certain that other collectors would enjoy seeing your photo's also. If we can help you in any way please feel free to ask. Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 pm • #  

I have a 540 in great condition on its Conolon rod. To the left of the name Mitchell is the Garcia emblem. On the barrel is a yellow label that says “On bail lock -off.” I am a new collector and this is a good thing to have, I gather from remarks. I grew up with a Bretton 400 from Sears, and like to fish, but face surgery on wrist so that puts a cramp in my summer.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:33 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Mike,

Yes your reel is a good thing. Could you take some photos to show everyone. What condition is your rod in. Is there a model # for it? if you need help with photos let me know and I willl help you. Congrats on your reel! Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:50 pm • #  

Aloha & Happy Turkey Day Mates !

Just when I was discussing this with Martin , I received in the mail Listing # 161150737867 a Garcia Mitchell 540. Seller claimed it was a GM540 as most of them do because of the red Garcia Sticker on it as shown.

Seller said he bought it some time ago in his area as a set with the 2583-A Fork Foot Rod.

I was not overly excited about this topic thinking again there was another blank engraving under the sticker , but to my surprise the Garcia engraving was under the sticker as I pulled it off !
The Serial # is 9007608 on the outside of the foot. Going forward what does this prove ? A North America Run was made of Garcia Mitchell 540s?

Will post pictures shortly. Ken S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:13 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Ken,

I thought you might have chased after that combo. You got a steal of a deal at $600.00. I thought that rod was a 2585 model? Another question would be could this reel not be from Garcia UK which would explain what you found. I do not know whether reels coming into the UK were only marked as Mitchell or appropriately engraved or stickered with a Garcia label. happy Thanksgiving to you also! Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:08 am • #  

Aloha Scott,

You are correct on the rod model , its a 2585-A 4 star rod. As for the history of the Garcia engraved Mitchell 540, any ones guess at this point as to how many and if in fact the engraved Garcia models were made for Canada and or US market is debatable. The serial #s of more GM540 when found I would think might determine this ? And with that said, my offer still stands for NOS Garcia stickers to anyone who bought one of these in either the US or Canada to check theirs.
I just sent a few to Martin so that he can check with some collectors on his side of the pond.
Ken S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:07 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Fellas,

What I would love to see is what's under the Dual wedge sticker, especially on the Mitchell 540 or any of the 500 series now that I think about it.

Ken, Thanks for the update!!!

Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Wallace,

Recently an early Mitchell 540 was sold on ebay france with no sticker at all and no engraving .
It went for €200 euro in combination with a 5 piece conolon rod .......

regards, Dries

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 48 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply