Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:16 pm • #  

Does anyone have any information on the 306A reel? I found in the gallery that this reel was made from 1978 to 1987.

What was the purpose of this reel? To simply provide a faster retrieve than the 306? I thought that was what the 406 was for made from 1963 to 1979?

The 306A and 406 crossover for only two years- 1978 and 1979. I wonder what was going on then that caused them to drop the 406 and begin making the 306A?

I suppose the 306S is even more rare than a 306A?

I have a revision schematic from 1984 and it shows a different gear mech than the one I have. My reel has the planamatic gears. I am ordering the crosswind gear for the 306 and hoping it will also fit my 306A.

As yet I have not found a serial number on my reel. The only thing on the foot is "France".

Any information would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:58 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Cagey,

You can almost ask the same questions about all Mitchell reels, the model name changes, different gearing and appearance that happened, especially in 1977 and 1978.

I can only speculate that it was at least partly because of Garcia USA bankruptcy in 1978. This caused great financial stress on Carpano & Pons which led to their bankruptcy in 1981.

Why did all these reel changes occur is still a mystery. One thing for sure, it was during troubling times with heavy competition so IMHO, I believe at least some changes were made and reels deleted to save in rapidly expanding manufacturing costs...

Regards,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply