Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 316
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am • #  

Hello,

In my opinion one of the least known Mitchell reels in the USA and other countries outside Europe is the Mitchell 316, made from just over 182,000 copies from 1963 to 1984
There are only 316 Garcia for a short period in the years 1976-1979

I studied the 21 reels of this type that I have, these ranging from A04693 to M011101 as serial number.
I have among these 21 reels three Garcia, a Piraat. Six "French" are in their box

In the next few days, I will try to publish photos allowing to see the evolution of these reels over the years.

Enclosed photo of my collection

Best regards,

Christian
Attachment:
316.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Mitchell 316
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:39 pm • #  

Christian, wonderful 316 collection....probably the single most comprehensive in the world...thank you in advance and I look forward to the results of your study...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 pm • #  

Hello Sandman,
Thank you for the kindness of your message.
My collection is only that of someone who is looking for maximum information on all types of Mitchell reels.
I am lucky to reside in the country where the 316 were appreciated by fishermen in calm ponds or rivers, the metallic sound of the spool was a moment when the heart beat when carp began.
I always have my father's, he's one of the 21 reel I have.
The reel design was not meant for a sea fishing, that's just my opinion. On the other hand disassembly is a "child's play", very easy maintenance ... provided that it is done regularly.
Again for the photos.
In France at the moment it is the heat wave, in my city, 37 ° C the day and 24 ° C the night, difficult to sleep
Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 pm • #  

Same here! :sSig_nicethread: Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:24 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Christian,

Nice collection !
Will try to find the engraved Albatros for you .

amicalement,

Dries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:08 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Christian, A magnificent collection of Mitchell 316s :clap . I too am looking forward to the results of your study. I think these are beautiful reels as they differ greatly from the "regular" Mitchell reels. I also agree that these reels were designed for calm water fishing for large fish vice saltwater - maybe surf fishing where you let the live bait roam but I can clearly see it used on a pond, lake or calm river where you can cast long with a suitable rod and then let it rest until a large bass, pickerel or carp comes along - this reel would be perfect in those conditions. I'm really interested in your black 316 box on the right of your photo as I have never seen one of those before - would you please provide additional information on that one especially? Thank you for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 am • #  

Hello Chris,

This box dates from the Browning period of Mitchell.
Its code number is 399784
The Mitchells of this time were delivered with this type of box whose color evolved over the years
The reel has the SN "L176106" with notice and warranty of September 10, 1982
I have a 309 A with this type of box with a sticker pasted on it saying "Distributed in the U.S. by BROWNING MORGAN UTAH 84050"
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
bte 316 1.JPG

Attachment:
bte 316 2.JPG

Attachment:
bte 316 3.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:26 pm • #  

Hello Dries,
Thanks for everything you do for me.
I hope to see you in October in the Netherlands at Vught and later in France at home.
Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

A beautiful Mitchell 316. Thank you very much for the photos and great explanation. :tup

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 am • #  

Great collection there. Never realized Mitchell made them into the 80's. Way ahead of it's time with the skirted spool design.....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_clap2:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 pm • #  

Hello,

Before improving the presentation, here is a first draft of what I did on the 316.
Hopefully this will help some people.
Best regards,
Christian.
http://perso.numericable.fr/sitemesmoulinets/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:26 pm • #  

Hello Christian,
:sHa_clap2: Very good scientific work.
greeting Walter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 am • #  

Thanks Walter
Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

I would like to add to Christian's excellent study of the little understood Mitchell 316. In the Museum Gallery Wallace stated the challenges of studying this reel and I must agree. There is no advertising here in the U.S.A. as they were primarily a European distribution reel - unfortunately for us here in the U.S. as they are a great reel for large rivers. He also stated about being unsure of a "Factory" Mitchell 316 PUM. Well here is a Mitchell 316 PUM in quite nice condition - lightly used but in the Factory marked PUM box with the original paperwork.
Attachment:
316 PUM.jpg

I have seven of these reels in my collection, 3 Full Bail (1 MIB) and 4 PUM but this is the only PUM in the box. All of my 316 PUMs are in very nice condition but this is the only one that has the small rubber rod line holder on the PUM mount - I never knew it existed on the other three as they must have broken off (more on that later).
Attachment:
316 PUM 1.jpg

This reel has a taller box than my others and the warrantee paperwork dates it to 1974 I believe but perhaps Laroupane may be able to provide insight
Attachment:
316 PUM 2.jpg

These are great reels and unlike any of the other Mitchells - I highly recommend adding 1 or 2...Maybe 10 to your collections. They're not common but not hard to find in Europe. As always, questions and comments are always welcome.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 pm • #  

Hi again Mates,

As I stated earlier about the little rubber rods for the line holder on the Mitchell 316 PUM reels which I didn't know about until I received this newest 316 PUM. Well, part number 81647 is NOT easy to find. I finally found a dealer in France and bought every one he had to back-fit my other Mitchell 316 PUMs. Here's a close up of these little gems.
Attachment:
316 PUM 3.jpg

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:12 am • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
Thanks to all that have contributed to this 316 string. It's all worthy of being added to what Wallace has in the "Gallery".
:sFun_bananachaplin:

Now we have to find that 317. ;) ;)

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:56 pm • #  

Hi Ted,

I've never seen a 317 but since I'm on a 316 roll, this is the only one of these I have ever seen - so maybe a 317 is possible :sBo_bounce2: . This is a Blackfish B40 (Mitchell 316) which was very limited and in Europe only. Mitchell was commissioned by a chain store in France to make these reels in the 1970's. I've never seen advertising or boxes for these Blackfish reels.
Attachment:
Blackfish B40.jpg

Attachment:
Blackfish B40 1.jpg

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm • #  

Chris, thanks for showing...it would surprise me a little if Laroupane does not have a Blackfish B40, or has not seen one...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 pm • #  

Chris,
Excellent reel with factory released marked box. I believe Mitchell made a lot of MPU or PUM that no one knew about. At that time the world was their Oyster....... Great to see some original reels are still available out there. As many here have put it, if not for this site I wouldn't have known this was made.........
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sSig_goodjob2: :sHa_clap2: :clap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:31 pm • #  

Hi Sandman and Kim,

Sandman, If anyone has or ever seen a box/packaging for a Blackfish reel I'm confident that it would be Laroupane :tup

Kim, Thank you for the kind compliment. Like you, it amazes me with the amount of information and the expertise of the Mates here in the Museum. I'm constantly learning and seeing new items.

BTW, I just closed a deal with a gentleman in France tonight on a reel that's been on my "Wish List" for 5 years.....It's a Unicorn and I've never seen one before. :sFun_bananachaplin: :sFun_bananachaplin: Photos when I receive it :sCh_taz:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:33 pm • #  

Hello,

Answer about BlackFish.
I have never seen an advertisement, a box for all the reels in this series:
B10 - B20 - B30 - B40 - B50, although I have these five types in my collection
I have for each the number of reels made, the least common is the B50 (386), followed by the B40 (316), the B30 (300), the B20 (324) and finally the B10 (320).
As far as the B40 is concerned, it was produced in 6130 copies from 1974 to 1980, compared to 3225 for the B50 and 24556 for the B10.

This series is part of the "mysteries" Mitchell to clear up.
Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

Thank you for the excellent information - as always :sSig_youtheman: . I agree with your assessment with regard to the rarity of these reels and the lack of advertising and/or boxes or any type of packaging. It would be interesting to find out where these reels were distributed from and by what companies/retailers. So far the Blackfish B50 is still elusive to me :sCh_taz: . It's been on my "Wish List" for several years and the only Blackfish I'm missing. Perhaps a Blackfish Thread is in order or reviving an old Thread.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

It's been pretty quiet around here lately so I figured I would feature one of my more recent additions. This is a very nice, lightly used Garcia Mitchell 316 in the European Picture Box. It's serial # is F0991?? dating it to 1976 and based on the box, I think one of the very early GM 316s. As Christian has previously noted the GM 316s were only made from 1976 to 79.
Attachment:
GM 316.jpg

As you can see this reel has the original arbor on the spool which is the only one of these I have ever personally seen (Christian's 316 collection has several) but these arbors are sized to only fit the 316 - they're big!.
Attachment:
GM 316 1.jpg

Attachment:
GM 316 3.jpg

A very nice reel and has been previously discussed, one of Mitchell's more odd reels. More to follow.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:09 pm • #  

Hi Again Mates,

A couple more photos of this GM 316.
Attachment:
GM 316 2.jpg

Attachment:
GM 316 4.jpg

These are great reels, identical to the 306 except for the Rotor, Spool and Handle and one of my favorites in my collection. Fortunate to have the GM 316 as they are quite hard to find and the last of the Mitchell 316s. Christian's 316 in the Browning Box (featured earlier) was the last of them. A great reel that was never advertised or distributed in North America - which makes it an even more special addition. As always questions and comments are always welcome Mates.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:53 pm • #  

Chris,
Thanks for posting photos of your new GM 316, a very beautiful and interesting reel. :sHa_okay:
I couldn't help noticing the somewhat unusual handle with its beautiful finish and how it sticks out from the body of the reel.
I guess this was a bit of a problem for the packaging guys as I noticed that the model Wallace shows in the MRM has a unique white plug in the hole where the handle attaches to the reel. Guess the reel would not fit into the box with the handle attached to the reel. Did your reel have the white plug in it and if so could you show what it looks like outside the reel?
Thanks.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:05 am • #  

Hi Bill,

Great observation :sHa_okay: . Both of my 316 boxes are the "Tall" type and therefore the handle did not need to be removed. There is no insert inside the box as depicted in Wallace's photo in the gallery. Please note in Christian's earlier post, the two different sizes in the 316 Euro Distro Picture Boxes. One (the newer) is much taller than the earlier short one - both have the orange "ball" and the photo of the reel but the shorter will have the insert and also the slot for the reel handle and hence the white plug for the reel. Both of my 316 "Tall" boxes are just that, square openings for the reel and paperwork. I've never personally seen one of the short boxes with the insert for the 316.....but I would love to!!! :tup

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 pm • #  

Chris, beautiful and uncommon package...thanks for showing...

A skirted spool 306...and other improvements like the crank handle clearance...Mitchell was improving on an old design...makes me wonder why they started with the 306...why not one of the other more popular reels like the 300, 308, etc? Were they trying to revive sales of the lagging 306?

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:55 am • #  

Hello Chris and other mates
Attached are photos of a 316 with a wide box and the internal notches to receive the reel.
This reel is type 2 with flat crank, SN 007553 on a label stuck under the box.
The notch is adapted to the flat crank and not to the round crank.
I do not have the little white tip cited by Bill who was on the axis of the crank when it was stored in the box. This tip was easily lost.
I have a photo of a complete 316 but I can not find it on my computer files anymore: if my memories are good there was an indication on this tip, indication that was not the name "Mitchell"
Best regards,
Christian
PS: I do not know what means the "O" or "0" on the box
Attachment:
316 1.jpg

Attachment:
316 2.jpg

Attachment:
316 3.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 pm • #  

Christian, thank you for showing us this reel and box. We do not get to see these often, since they were not distributed in the states.

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:34 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

A very nice 316 with original box/insert :tup . Thank you very much for sharing such a great example. Actually, I just received one just like yours, Ser # 011774 but it did not have the white plug in the Main Gear hole either. I've been on a Mitchell 316 roll lately :clap I just love them.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply