Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 306 Box
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 am • #  

I bought a 305 at an antique shop a few weeks back that someone had put in a 306 box. The box has all the paper work including the receipt for $26.22 for a 306 that was purchased back in November of 1977 by someone that lived in Little Ferry, NJ.

That worked out well because I have a 306 that just happened to be made in 1977.

I never sell any of the stuff that I collect but it would be easy for someone that's dishonest to pass something like this off as the original reel for the box. Probably happens more than you think.

Post subject: Re: 306 Box
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:29 pm • #  

If the reel was made in 1977 and the box also for that era but then it's not dishonest to put that reel in that box because there's no matching serial numbers on those style boxes for those reels.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 pm • #  

piscesman wrote:
If the reel was made in 1977 and the box also for that era but then it's not dishonest to put that reel in that box because there's no matching serial numbers on those style boxes for those reels.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Yeah the box and reel would be OK together as long as the receipt wasn't included to make it look like it was the actual reel that was shipped in that box.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 pm • #  

Think of it this way. There are 1,000's of these boxes at the factory that go to this reel. The packer picks up a box from the pile and puts reel and all in box and gets shipped out. From that same pile your box gets picked up and another reel and all is packed and shipped out. Since there are NO serial numbers on the box to determine that it goes to this reel I personally don't see a problem. These boxes with yellow insert according to Mike DiMattio's Book were made from 1975-1979. The same outer black box's were shipped with different color insert for different years and some the same. Since your box has printed Spinning Reel on it's front then it would have been made from 1977-1979. Enjoy your boxed reel.. Nice find...
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_okay:

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply