Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Handle Knob Screw 303
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 am • #  

Hi everyone,

I recently bought, on eBay, a nice clean 303 Salt Water, which I believe is from1955 (S/N 0910806). I bought the reel to fit onto an old split cane spinning rod. ( I like fishing with vintage stuff). The only fault with the reel is the original handle knob screw has been replaced (quite well ) with a random nut and bolt. Well, I thought, I can easily put that right and, having got the part number (81350) from the schematic, I bought one on eBay, but when it arrived it was a very slightly smaller diameter than the hole in the handle.
I took the screw off my 387 (81497) to try it but that is altogether bigger, and now I'm stuck. The only other salt water reel I know is the 306/7, but that also uses an 81350.
Of course, it's possible that the handle itself is not original.
Can anyone here offer me any advice?

Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm • #  

Geoff, If I hadn't said it before :sSig_welcome2:

Sounds like the shaft is not original. We need pictures of the reel.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:30 am • #  

Thank you for your reply Randy.
Here (I hope) are some pics of the reel. The hole at the end of the shaft that takes the handle screw is threaded, so it hasn't been drilled out. The new screw (81350) is very slightly smaller than the hole, barely half a millimetre I should think.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:32 am • #  

Here are 2 more pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:21 am • #  

Welcome Geoff,
I ran into the same problem servicing some of my lefties while ordering parts. The Mitchell 303 and 307 have the same size threads on the handle to fit into the reel gear. They will interchange with each reel. The 303 HAS A BIGGER SCREW for the black handle, which has a bigger inside diameter and bigger handle thread diameter which I guess is stronger for fighting the heavier fish while reeling them in as compared to the 307. Someone had switched the reels original handle with the one you purchased at some point. If you put the handles side by side the 303 will be about 3/4" longer than the 307 for better cranking power. Hope this helps.........
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 am • #  

Well it I was wrong to an extent on the handles. There are two different versions of the handles 4 the 303 saltwater reel series. The earlier version which has a smooth round knurled counterweight tightening nut whereas the later version has a very coarse geared type tightening nut which is very different from the first version. The second version has the larger drilled and threaded end to receive the screw that holds the handle on. Whereas the first version has the smaller screw which holds the handle or the black knob on. Hope this clarifies matters.
Kim :sEm_oops: :sEm_oops: :sCh_fisherman

Also while comparing the 303 early version handle to 307 handle the 307 handle has an even smaller hole drilled in the end to accept the screw that holds the knob on . As I said the 307 handles will go into the 303 reels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 pm • #  

Thank you for that, Kim but I don't quite understand.
The schematics for the 303 and 307 show them having the same handle shank, handle knob and handle knob screw. (Also same handle complete.
I don't have access to a 307 to compare. I only have a 387 which is all different (bigger).
The screw itself seems to be a fairly standard design (S/S) so I might just take the thing to a fixtures and fittings supplier and see if they have something that fits.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:39 pm • #  

I have just seen a 307 on eBay (too much money for me) that has the gear wheel type shank which is different to the 303. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 pm • #  

Are you comparing the same parts for each reel?? Also I stated that there are 2 versions of the handles for these reels made years apart but could be assembled with the previous years parts to use them up before the "upgraded" parts were readily available. You have to realize that many parts made for these reels across the board will fit different versions or years of the reels made. That is why you will see reels with parts on them made before or after the reel was made and left the factory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:16 pm • #  

I do believe I am comparing the same parts. I don't have a 307 to compare. But I do have a 387 and the handle knob screw on that (81497) is much bigger than that on the 303. Also the shank counterweight has the course gear type design you mentioned, whereas my 303 is smooth with vertical engraved lines.
The schematics (on this site) label the screw as "49C" from '54 to '59 (and on another site it is labelled 81350) then 81497 which is the same part number as that listed for the 387, which I know doesn't fit mine.
The handle knob screw for the 307 on the schematic on this site is labelled "15" from '59 to '64, then "81" in'67, but on the other site it is again 81350.
I don't know what the terms 49C, 15 and 81 mean or translate to in terms of part numbers, but I suspect that "49C" is 81350. I have only seen 3 part numbers on any schematics for the handle screw - 81350, 81497 and 81044 and none of those fit my 303.
I mentioned that this screw seems to be a standard design but I don't know what type of thread Mitchell used back then.
Thank you for your input.

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 pm • #  

Hello Olddiverman, Does the screw used for replacement slip thru the handle or thread thru? If you have to thread it thru I would think IMHO that someone tapped it for that screw which is probably an American size thread . If not then the thread ,if it's original I would think is metric coming from Europe . If you happen to know a clock repair person he should have a set of small metric taps and be able to check it for you. I did check my 302 & 306 and the thread and body of the 306 are both smaller than the 302. If it would help I can check the diameter of both with a micrometer if you want me to,just let me know.Hope you can figure this out without having to buy a complete handle. Good luck, Regards John in Pa.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:02 pm • #  

Hi John,
The replacement screw is fractionally smaller than the hole. It just about touches the threads inside the hole when I push it in. I'm away at the moment but will measure the screw and the hole when I get back and see where we go from there.
Thank you for you input.
Geoff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:30 am • #  

Finally able to get time to take pictures. These handles are from a 307, 403 and 387. The larger screw on the top is from the later ( newest ) version handles. Notice the larger threads compared to the other 2. The middle shiny one is from a 403 early version. Has the smoother tightened like the smallest handle, 307. The screws that holds the black knob on are the same size for these both. ALL 3 handles will screw into each reel with no problems. The 387 handle has a cup on it that I put on from old busted handle. Hope this helps. More than likely your handle screw threads were made bigger by tapping it out. Maybe threads were messed up trying to remove knob screw.

Last edited by piscesman on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:34 am • #  

Two more pictures. Notice the 307 handled is shorter than the others due to those reels being made for larger fish to be reeled in for the Leverage.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply