Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 pm • #  

Hi All,

New member here! I am an occasional fisherman and my main outfit is a wonderful cane Aspindales Roach rod I use with a Mitchell 309 for small silver fish; mainly specimen roach and small perch tbh. I fish a small 3 acre lake in the grounds of a castle near my house and a section of the river Eden in Kent (runs through a wonderful estate- classic fishing).

I want to increase my collection with a some reels for slightly larger fish such as carp and barbel. What would be a good reel? We are talking small river fish here; 10lb max.

Secondly, am I off my head using a 309 for roach and the like? Is this really the reel I should be using?

Lastly, I have an opportunity to purchase a minty, unboxed 310 Ultralight. I really like the look of this reel, if only to have it as part of my collection (not that I have a collection as this point!). Is this primarily a reel one would use with a spinning rod and small lure? Or am I well off on this assumption?.. can it be utilised for other fishing applications?

As you can tell I am unsure as to what use to put the various reels Mitchell have produced over the years. It’s easy to find lots of lovely pics and advise but less so on reel usage. Any pointers gentlemen?

Thanks for reading my waffle! I am green to all this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 pm • #  

Hello MartyM, First let me welcome you to the Mitchell Reel Museum .You should be able to get an answer to any questions that you have from someone in the museum. As far as your 309 that is an ultra lite reel , I use mine for trout up to about 3 lbs, although mine is a 308. The 310 that your looking at is actually a smaller reel than a 309 , and it is also left hand wind ,something that you will have to get used to if you aren't yet. You also can't reverse the handle on it and they were made in Asia I believe, not in France . As far as fish up to the 10 lb size you can't go wrong with any of the 300 size reels or a 900 which is the same size. If you want a right hand wind your going to have to look for the ones ending in an odd number .Good luck in your search and best regards , John in Pa. USA

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply