Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Garcia Mitchell 810
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Finding Mitchells to satisfy my "Wish List" has not been very productive lately (nor have I been home much to devote time to the hobby :sCh_taz: ) so I decided to pick up this Garcia Mitchell 810. A beautiful reel and I'm very impressed with how smooth the M8 gearing is - it's also very fast :sFi_flamethrower: . The reel appears to never have been mounted on a rod and aside from a few minor scratches in one area of the rotor (countertop rash???) looks mint.
Attachment:
GM 810.jpg

This is the first version of the GM 810, ser# G320511 making it a 1977 model and from my research, these were only distributed in Europe and Canada at this time.
Attachment:
GM 810 1.jpg

Attachment:
GM 810 2.jpg

That explains why I couldn't find any advertising in either the Garcia Fishing Annuals or the Garcia Fishing Tackle Catalogs. The reel and box are both in very good condition so I think it makes a fine addition to my collection. Interested in your thoughts and experiences with the Garcia Mitchell 810 Mates :tup .

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Garcia Mitchell 810
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
I don't have any of the later model reels, but that reel looks interesting to me. I have an adversion to the post Garcia style bails, so that may be the reason. I may have to start looking for one to get after some smallys.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm • #  

Way to go, Chris! It is a interesting reel and I share your need to expand your collection, but I decided long ago to only collect 300 and 302's. I have since gotten into 306's but only European models. So, collect what you like.
BTW, I thought you may be busy! Randy :sSig_youtheman:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:47 pm • #  

Thanks Ted and Randy.

Ted, I think this would be a great Bass reel - especially for some top-water baits. Wouldn't have to reel too hard with this one :sHa_biggrin: .

Randy, Yeah, this work thing is really cutting into my Mitchell time.....But, no work - no Mitchells. It's a vicious circle :sSa_sadeyes:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 pm • #  

Chris, thanks for sharing...I've not had the opportunity to handle an 810, but they seem like a real quality reel designed for high speed work.

From the few you see on the market, they're scarcity may be under estimated, and along with the minority of collectors that focus on them, I surmise they are under appreciated and valued.

Great find in this condition!

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman,

I do like this reel although it's somewhat heavier than a 300 - noticeably. Also agree that you don't see many of these reels and according to Dennis Roberts', Mitchell Collectors Value Guide (2006) "Not as common as most collectors may think" and "The 800 series were not mfg in "large" quantities". Interesting..... Now I'm on the hunt for the others :sAng_banghead2:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:03 pm • #  

They were really made as 'match reels' along with 840s as super fast retrieve for catching lots and lots of fish in a weight oriented time limited competition more a uk thing than a stateside one
Nice reels though that one looks very clean and tidy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:51 pm • #  

First off congratulations on your find. I looked at the pictures and one SEEMED different. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Your box with the reel and spool has the spool horizontal at the bottom of the box. I always thought the spool sat in a vertical position to save space.......... Am I missing something? Careful with handling as the Brown paint is known to easily chip for some reason.
Kim :tup :tup :sCh_fisherman:

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply