Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next   Page 5 of 10   [ 271 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:15 pm • #  

Hello Larouane,

Nice box but I think something went wrong with your translation.
Laroupane wrote:
Now that Mitchell has been destroyed by the American buyer in 2016, who can revive a picture of the wealth of products of this brand?

If in fact that is an accurate translation, I find it quite offensive and would invite you to explain yourself.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 am • #  

Hello Chris,

This is by no means an attack on Americans buying old Mitchell.
See the subject about the closure of Mitchell Marignier since January 4, 2018 in "Mitchell History Discussions" and you may understand what I meant
Pure Fishing Europe was bought by the Newell Brands group in 1976.
A year later, it was decided that Marignier was not profitable, so closed the last site Mitchell French, site which was only administrative.
There is no reference Mitchell in France, to whom to address to have information, all disappeared, Mitchell removed from the register of trade since January 4, 2018

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:22 am • #  

Error
"Pure Fishing Europe was bought by the Newell Brands group in 1976"
NOT 1976 BUT 2016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 am • #  

Hi Chris and Mates,

When Laroupane wrote "American buyer," he did not mean the American consumer or fisherman. He meant the American corporation, Newell Brands, that bought Pure Fishing in 2016. It was Newell Brands that then closed the last Mitchell facility in France (with 31 employees) at the end of 2017.

This is the MRM Forum thread Laroupane refers to: http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5640&sid=5924e419717a147dee43aa58506b4b49

Maybe I didn't need to post this - I'm just trying to help clarify.

Warm regards,
John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:58 am • #  

Hey Mates,

Really splendid stuff! :sBo_bounce2: Fantastic thread! :sSig_thankyou:

Pictured below are a couple items from the Ballantine-Garcia Surfcasting for Accuracy Tournament that I have. I was able to find documentation for the Tournament having taken place on the Northeastern Coast 1964-70.

Ballantine was a brewery in Newark, New Jersey – that closed May, 1972. The Wilton Company (Columbia, PA) made the mug out of “Armetale,” an alloy of 10 metals that is nontoxic/washable.

Kim (piscesman) has other versions of the mug and patches. He originally posted on the topic: http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=298&hilit=ballantine&sid=c649e84e3c68ab800b56456192fad716

Cheers!
John
Attachment:
Garcia-Ballantine 1965 Mug + Patch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:46 am • #  

Hello John,

Thank you for translating correctly what I meant.
Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:50 pm • #  

Hi John,

Great items. I especially like the mug. I once worked in Columbia, Pennsylvania. The Wilton Company (Columbia, PA) apparently was sold to another company in PA. Unfortunately, they don't stock items from previous production orders. I agree splendid stuff being posted.

Regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 pm • #  

The last of my jewelry items. Still an excellent thread.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_clap2:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm • #  

Hello Laroupane and John,

Thank you for an excellent and understanding explanation. Laroupane's translation was exact and the problem was with my translation. I apologize to all of the Mates for my overreaction. At times I can be too passionate about both the U.S.A. and Mitchell...Can you be too passionate about Mitchell :sCo_hmmthink: . This is a great thread and a lot of fun sharing so many great Mitchell items - many of which a lot of us have never seen.

So back to scouring the reel room to see what I can contribute.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here is a single page ad from Australian Outdoors Magazine and if I recall correctly the mid 1960s (64/65). What I found special about this ad is that all of the reels depicted are left hand wind.
Attachment:
Austrailian Ad.jpg

I liked it so much I had it framed. I really like the statement on the bottom that "Mitchell Reels Are Sold In 126 Countries Of The World"

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:54 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

In going through my Mitchell stuff, I came across this French 19 page booklet. I'm not certain where or when I obtained it and if it were to have came with a reel or is a stand alone advertising item. It doesn't appear to have a publication date. I'm hoping one or more of you might know more about it.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm • #  

Hi Dennis,

Very nice booklet. Those came with European distributed Mitchell reels in the black box with the colored circle and photo of the reel on it.
Attachment:
Euro Catalogs.jpg

Attachment:
Euro Catalogs 1.jpg

The blue one came with a NIB 1963 Mitchell 304 and the orange one came with a MIB 1965 Mitchell 300 Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:57 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the information on the booklet. I think that I may have received my booklet along with a large batch of those parts bags posted earlier in this thread. Wish I had a new in box European distributed Mitchell Reel to go with the booklet.
Thanks again, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

Thanks for more wonderful items/info.

No one has yet ventured a translation of "sachons pêcher". How about "let's go fishing"?

I was looking around online for any more info and did spot the cover of a 3rd version (image below), but nothing more on it.

John
Attachment:
sachons pêcher 3.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 am • #  

Hello,

This booklet was published from 1959 (first advertisingin April 1959 ).
There were 6 different versions, the sixth of 1972 identical, to the fifth, was no longer free but cost 0.50 F.

The first four versions are not dated, you have to watch the reels in photos to get an idea of it. Example, in the photos the first one does not have the 308 so before 1960 (the booklets being published after the manufacture of the buckets, generally in the following year).

On the second picture, the third has the orange cover but the inside pages are blue (316 more), the fourth is all orange.
Also attached is the photo booklet KILT marked "know how to fish"
These booklets were free on request at the MIchell Institution and were also inserted in the reel boxes
Attachment:
SP 1.jpg

Attachment:
SP 2.jpg

Attachment:
SP3.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:53 am • #  

Attachment:
KILT SACHEZ PECHER0001.jpg

Attachment:
KILT SACHEZ PECHER0002.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:45 am • #  

ERROR :
after the manufacture of the REELS ant no
after the manufacture of the buckets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 pm • #  

Hi Laroupane,

Great information and photos. We are very lucky indeed that you share your research and knowledge with us.

Merci beaucoup, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm • #  

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your comment.
I know very well that you and other collectors across the Atlantic can not find on your continent what I can find on my continent. The converse is true, Garcia objects are virtually untraceable in France.
I was lucky to start collecting at a time when there were many reels for a small price on flea markets. Since that time the attics have been emptied, it becomes rare to return from flea market with something interesting. I also had the chance to be one of the first to look for Mitchell, a brand that was scorned by other French collectors until the day they realized they were selling very well on the internet !!!
So I share everything I've learned from over twenty years of collection and from Sunday to look at the electric battery very early in the morning.
When people like me disappear, their knowledge will continue to be exploited and transmitted by others and so on. Just my philosophy of a collector's life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am • #  

Hi Laroupane,

I was reflecting on your philosophy of a collector's life. An analogy I once heard comes to mind. By sharing with us your found knowledge from over 20 years of collecting Mitchell makes you as a candle--you consume yourself so that others may see.

Respectfully, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 pm • #  

Here are some pictures of Garcia's Newsletter to their dealers. Sept 1966. Number 1 volume 2. So they must have 1st started them that year. Also I believe next year's reels were made in August. Mentions the new 206 reel.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:17 pm • #  

From Connecticut, The Sportsman Den. Plus nice fish taken on Garcia equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm • #  

1965 Dealers copy of rods. On back reels and line charts to match to those rods.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 pm • #  

Hi Kim,
Very nice photos of early publications. I especially like the pic of the big stripper. Could feed my family for a week. Thanks for posting.

Kind regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm • #  

You're welcome Dennis. In that issue Garcia talks about not listing retail anymore so potential buyers would not be scared off by a listing price and they can maximize their profits. Below is a dealers repair manual which I would guesstimate in the mid-sixties. I also have the same dealer ones that Chris had posted earlier. Still more to come as I find stuff I forgot about

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am • #  

Hi Mates,

Kim, nice service manual. I could have used it a few times. To keep the thread going here are several pics of a Mitchell related item...

Best regards, Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:05 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Even more great items Kim and Dennis :tup .
I particularly like the Garcia Newsletter Kim, I have the Tackle catalogs and even many of the supplements but have never seen the newsletter before and am curious where this fit in providing their Dealers the most up to date information and marketing strategies....Garcia obviously covered all their bases. A great item.

Below is an item I received from a good friend and fellow collector in the UK. I have many NOS rotors but have never seen one in an individual box - all of mine are in the Mitchell sealed plastic bags. Apologize for the faint print on the box cover but that's exactly how it looks.
Attachment:
5th Version Rotor.jpg

The cover of the box says "MITCHELL, FW 300, ??39, 1 part, MADE IN FRANCE".
Attachment:
5th Version Rotor 1.jpg

This is a 5th Version Mitchell 300 rotor from 1957-58 and the box is a very heavy "non corrugated" stapled cardboard.
Attachment:
5th Version Rotor 2.jpg

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
That's a cool rotor box. I have a number of NOS Rotors both left hand and right hand retrieve that came in my Mitchell Dealer Kits but never an individual box like yours. Nice find. This thread has taken on a life of its own. Just awesome. I hope it continues.
Best regards, Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:20 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I posted this a while ago but with many new Members :tup and this seems like a fitting place, I thought I would re-post here.

This is an ultra rare Garcia Mitchell Part #808 new in the box. The 808 was for converting the half bail Mitchell to full bail operation and was available direct from Garcia or could be purchased from an authorized dealer. You could also ship your Mitchell half bail reel to an authorized service center for them to do the conversion for you. These kits were available in the mid 1950s. 1954 is the first mention I have seen of this kit.
Attachment:
808 Kit.jpg

Attachment:
808 Kit 1.jpg

Attachment:
808 Kit 2.jpg

There were two styles of the Part #808; the one you see above in the grey/green box with the rotor fully assembled and a tan/brown box with all of the rotor parts which required assembly. I have only ever seen one example of each.

This is a great thread Dennis and deserves to be populated so back to the top.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here are a few packages of Garcia Bonnyl fishing line in a few different styles. These are 200 yard packages as the spools are joined by the line.
Attachment:
Garcia Bonnyl Line.jpg

And then there's the mega pack :sHa_okay: of Bonnyl line!
Attachment:
Garcia Bonnyl Line 1.jpg

I believe the Bonnyl line was developed after the Platyl line and probably they were both sold at the same time for a while.

Regards,
Chris

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next   Page 5 of 10   [ 271 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply