Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next   Page 10 of 11   [ 304 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:29 pm • #  

Hi Dennis,

WOW! Great find and I love the colors - looks to be in perfect condition too :tup . I've never seen one like that before..Thank you for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:48 pm • #  

Hello,

I found yesterday in a lot of matrix (about 30 ) for publication of advertising photos (or other uses?) of fishing equipment in the fisheries magazines: 11 marked "garcia" of the size of the stickers for reels. Three different references.
You will be able to see the size in relation to the meter.
Just a new sharing of my finds
Christian
Attachment:
garcia matrice.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:24 pm • #  

Christian, those are an interesting find...thanks for sharing...

The first Garcia wedge stickers on reels were about 1964. Do you have any thought as to the year these were produced?

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm • #  

Hey Christian,

Once again, you share a truly remarkable find!

Since you have not said otherwise, I assume your Garcia find was in France, which adds to the extraordinariness of it. I haven’t searched the MRM Forum for how much has been discussed about Garcia’s Mitchell (or ABU) reels'/lures' manuals/boxes/packaging having been printed in their countries of origin (versus the US), but there are some clear examples of that having been done.

From what I can tell, your wedges are 1-1.5 cm long. Is that correct?

Hey Sandman,

Could you clarify your date estimation for use of the Garcia wedge logo (whether for reel badges/stickers and/or boxes)? I am wondering whether boxes had the wedge logo prior to reels.

Please see my 2017 MRM post (as J Fishkat) about the Garcia wedge being registered as a trademark:
Garcia Wedge trademark aka sticker or logo

What is useful about a registered trademark document, is the date of first use in commerce, more so than the later approval date. “First use in commerce” documentation requires the product to have either been shipped or sold – advertising does not count towards that. So, Garcia had documentation of their logo for 1959-Nov as a wedge and 1960-Nov as a red wedge.

Warm regards to all,
John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 am • #  

Hello Sandman,
I do not know the year of manufacture of these objects, the lot includes objects from the early 1960s until the mid-1970s / 1980s.

Hello John
Y ou're right, the size is 1 cm, 1.1 cm and 1.5 cm
For the 1 cm reference 10 - 1 to 10 - 4
For the 1.1 the four are marked 5 - 11
For the 1.5 reference 15 - 1 to 15 - 3
All these objects were found on a flea market in France
Best regards
Christian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:48 pm • #  

John, not sure I can further clarify my statement "The first Garcia wedge stickers on reels were about 1964"...I was referring to Garcia reel wedge stickers...the Garcia wedge logo was used long before 1964...the first i recall is 1959 on the black box lids...perhaps earlier in advertisements.

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 pm • #  

Christian, great flea market finds. Historic and interesting. Merci beaucoup. Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:36 pm • #  

Hello,
My latest find, a "birth announcement" from the Mitchell 308.
Identical document (4 sheets) with regard to the design for advertisements from the end of 1959.
In the text, the reels mentioned "are happy to announce the birth of their little brother".
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
308 faire part naissance 1.jpg

Attachment:
308 faire part naissance.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 pm • #  

Christian, that is a wonderful find! Very early advertisement for the 308. I wonder if there were equivalent ads intended for other countries. I ask this, because I have found many very early 308 reels that do not have a Prince sticker on the back plate. The real question is; were the very first 308 reels distributed in countries other than the UK, such as the US?

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:46 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I've managed to pick up a couple of items that may be of interest to the Membership. Plus it's been a while since we have added to this post.

Here's a very nice Mitchell / Monofil Line advertisement from 1952.
Attachment:
Ad 1952.jpg

I really like this side showing a 3rd Version Mitchell and I've never seen one like it. The price blocks are a metallic silver that is printed on the paper (I thought they were stickers initially).
Attachment:
Ad 1952 1.jpg

I'm not sure what publication this ad came from but the paper stock is heavier than a typical magazine and there is evidence of steel staples down one side. Going to have it framed and should look nice hanging on the wall of the Reel Room :sHa_biggrin: .

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:26 pm • #  

Hi Chris, very nice advertisements that will look great in the reel room. I hope 2020 turns up lots of nice finds for all the mates.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:25 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Been on travel so it's been a while since I've visited the MRM. Here's a pretty hard to find item that I received a little while ago and I wanted to share with the group.
Attachment:
Mirror Mitchell.jpg

This is an advertising mirror that is from France and I believe from the mid 1950's to early 1960's. It's in very nice condition and there are no chips or scratches. I've never seen one of these before and perhaps Christian or another Mate can tell us more about it.
Attachment:
Mirror Mitchell 1.jpg

The colors are exceptional and it looks beautiful hanging on the wall of the Reel Room. As always Mates, questions and comments are always welcome.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:45 pm • #  

Chris,
Welcome back!
Nice piece for the reel room. :sFun_eyescan:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:24 pm • #  

Chris, very cool collector's piece.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:55 am • #  

Hello Chris,

My memory no longer has any information on this object.
I saw this one on an advertisement, other newspaper or sale many years ago but alas I cannot find this information. I checked my catalogs, invoices and other Mitchell documents but I couldn't find anything. The only memories I have is that this mirror was part of an object.
I have had this mirror myself for a very long time. I attach two photos, the first of the location where he is, the second where he is alone in his frame.
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
miroir 1.jpg

Attachment:
miroir 2.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:20 pm • #  

Hi mates, Beautiful Advertising Mirrors. I saw one for sale a couple of months ago but it didn't appear to be in as nice of a condition as both of yours. I too, would enjoy finding addition information regarding this nice Mitchell Advertising. Best regards as always, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Thank you all for the kind comments - This mirror does look nice hanging in the Reel Room. Christian, special thanks as always for sharing your collection and knowledge. These mirrors will remain a mystery as to their origins for now but are beautiful pieces of Mitchell history :tup .

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:33 am • #  

Christian,
Thank you for posting the lovely photos. Always love to see photos of your collection.
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:35 pm • #  

Hello all, been reading but nothing to add. Won these and never saw actual Garcia one. Have several gold Mitchell and zero red Abu.
Kim :tup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:37 pm • #  

These two went missing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 pm • #  

Well the last picture was all three together. Won't bother posting because this has been semi difficult

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:34 am • #  

Hi Kim, nice items and thanks for posting. I haven't seen the first two before. Great find. Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm • #  

Hi Kim,

Great items! Thank you for sharing. I have never seen the Garcia pin with the fisherman before - very nice. Any idea of the year or background on that particular pin.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:48 am • #  

No idea of year right now. With what's going on in the world been busy on other matters. I'll have to go to my Garcia catalogs to check the trinkets that they used to sell years ago.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:50 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here's a pretty neat piece that I recently added. Its a Garcia Mermaid Key ring from the early 1960s.
Attachment:
Mermaid Key Ring1.jpg

What I think makes this piece so special is that it's new and still in it's original packaging.
Attachment:
Mermaid Key Ring.jpg

The Garcia advertising.
Attachment:
Mermaid Key Ring2.jpg

I've picked up a few other pieces as well which I'll post soon.
I've never seen one of these before and as always Mates, questions and comments are always welcome.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:41 pm • #  

Chris,
Nice piece. :sHa_yes: Does it have Garcia molded into the mermaid herself on the back or made in France? Does it move or is it solid metal?
Thanks for posting
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:01 pm • #  

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for a great question. There is no "Garcia" engraved on the key chain and it was made in "West" Germany (although not indicated on the key chain) which if you recall was differentiated from "East" Germany (Communist Russia controlled) during the late 50's early 60's when this key chain was manufactured. The entire body is articulated so she would kind of do the "Hula" when you were driving down the road with the key in the ignition. Actually a very nice and well built key chain. The chrome is well done and heavy.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello mates,

Here one of my finds lately.
An Original Mitchell Albatros reelstand with the yellow Albatros watertransfer.
Attachment:
IMG_0052.JPG

regards

Dries

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:46 pm • #  

Hello Dries,

Another beautiful Albatros find and I've never seen either the stand or the CAP/304 with the Albatros watertransfer. Could you tell me the Ser # of the CAP/304 if it has one? I'm attempting to date the transition of the Albatros watertransfer to the yellow/red sticker to engraving and finally the small silver/black sticker. Very interesting. Your 2nd Version Cap with the Albatros watertransfer remains my personal favorite though :tup . Thank you for sharing!

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Chris,

Thank you ! , the CAP is from '54 with no engraving and with a nylon gear .No serial number on this one
The presentation stand comes from Albatros..

regards,

Dries :sAni_fish:

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next   Page 10 of 11   [ 304 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply