Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next   Page 2 of 10   [ 281 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:12 pm • #  

Mates, great thread....all the stuff we don't talk about much...wonderful to see...

This may be the first manual for the PRINCE reel...has anyone ever seen it or have one? Advertised as a miniature!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:33 pm • #  

Dennis and chris...those are some fantastic kits! I don't think your going to just run across those anymore...

Dennis, I've never seen that extra plate in the first/second version spools before...I checked mine...Rolands may be the best to ask, as he has likely opened more of these anyone on this thread.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman,

I've not seen your nice Prince Manual before. Regarding the extra disks in the two early spool constructions, it seems to be something rare to find. I'm hoping another mate has come across one or more. The disk is visible upon close inspection without spool disassembly. Regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:58 am • #  

Dear Dennis2149,

I must confess that I've never dismantled a spool in the way that you do.

If the disc can be seen without dismantling I'll have a look later. If I don't respond, I haven't found any.

Kind regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:25 am • #  

This is a brilliant thread . Very interesting and I appreciate the chance to see these items .
Thanks
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:38 pm • #  

Dear Dennis2149,

I have checked 40 early, flat bottomed spools and 11 have a disc and 29 don't. I opened 3 spools and they have different discs, which I attach a photo of. The one on the right is plastic with a metal centre; the middle one is metal painted very dark brown; and the one on the left is metal painted black.

I found discs in shallow and deep spools. The spools are the same height whether with or without a disc.

I attach photos of boxes of line for the odds and ends part of this thread.

The MK.2 owner's leaflet you showed us highlights the 1945 wire line retainer patent no. 900325; so it dates post 1945.

By the way, the wooden knob you showed is perfect.

Kind regards,

Rolands.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 pm • #  

Dear Rolands,

Thanks for checking for the spool disks. I probably have several dozen early spools and have only found the two to contain a disk in their construction. I especially like the one on the right that is plastic with a metal center. I appreciate the pics you posted to include the Box Mitchell Line pics. The info. on the early manual is also appreciated. Relating to the spool disks, I can only try and guess as to the appearance of the disks in the early spool design. Maybe, the early Bakelite spool mold wasn't initially the correct height and a spacer/disk had to added until the mold was corrected--not wanting to waste possibly a large run of spools. Additionally, leaving out the spacer/disk could, perhaps negatively affect the reels level wind line lay. Since, it has been said that the Mitchell was designed around the spool, for me it's fun to study the spool construction too.
PS: I was hoping you would confirm the authenticity of the wooden knob. Thanks.

The best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 am • #  

Dear Dennis2149,

For the sake of completeness I checked 20 more spools from later MK.2 reels and only found one more disc. So that makes 12 from 60, or 20%. It does seem that the discs are mainly on the earlier spools, and what you suggest makes sense.

Kind regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 am • #  

A collector needs good reference material :

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 am • #  

You can't have too much:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am • #  

You really can't !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:59 pm • #  

Dear Rolands,

Thanks for checking the additional early spools. Maybe our findings will be recorded/documented in a future Mitchell Reel publication. As to your reference materials, all I can say is Wow-Wow-Wow. I do have Wallace's Book and the Mitchell Birth of a Legend Collectors Guide but not the others. As far as those in French,
Est-ce que tu parles français?

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 pm • #  

Dear Dennis2149,

I can't claim to speak French. I did study French at school and I have corresponded with French reel collectors over the last 4 - 5 years, so I have picked some up. It is actually not a difficult language to understand, as I'm sure you are aware. And, of course, when I'm stuck there is always the dictionary.......

As I have written elsewhere, anyone interested in the beginning of Mitchell and the early reels needs to learn some rudimentary French and investigate what was happening reel-wise in the 30's in France.

The books by Caminade and de Medts are essential reading.

I have pondered as to why the Carpano-designed CAP is so often dated to 1937/8 when I have seen no evidence to support this. I am beginning to wonder if it is a simple case of mistaken identity.
After all, the original AMR-built CAP does date to the late 30's.

Congratulations on instigating this topic which is proving very popular.

Kind regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm • #  

Hi Rolands,

I too have studied French both in High School and Junior College which as of now was long ago. I think it's well to encourage our mates to try to become a bit familiar with the language. I speak French only at an elementary level but it has helped me in my limited research and when searching ebay.fr... My posting on this thread has slowed down a little for I do currently have the majority of my beloved early Mitchell's stored away at another location. I hope to access them shortly and fire up the camera. In the interim, I do have a couple more things around the flop to dig out and post if you mates will bare with me.

Best regards as always, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 am • #  

Dennis2149, Thanks so much for posting the pics of your 2nd version, love seeing them. :sSig_nicethread:

Rolands,

Thank you for posting the pics of your reference guides.
Is your Wallace Carney "Limited Edition" very much different from the 2010 3rd Printing version? You probably know that there is also a "Special European Addition" as well. I have been told that the "European Addition" contains Wallace's Reel Dating Guide? Does your "Limited Edition" contain the Dating Guide?

I have been searching hard for a reasonably priced copy of Mike DiMattio's "Mitchell 300 Boxes Reference" and was wondering if your copy is the "2008 Limited Edition" or the "2009 Limited First Edition"? Mike DiMattio's books are very hard to find in the U.S. Is this also true in the U.K.? 8o

Until your post I was unaware of Dennis Roberts, "Limited Presentation Edition" work. That looks like a fabulous guide. I was lucky to get a copy of Dennis's "Collectors Reference Guide" when he sold them on eBay years ago. I have rarely seen the "Collectors Value Guide" for sale, and the few times I have, it sold for an outrageous price. :eek

The search goes on........ :sFun_eyescan:
Thanks again for this very helpful post.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:58 am • #  

Dear Bill,

I believe that the Limited Edition "Carney" is the same as the 3rd. printing. It doesn't include the dating guide.

My "DiMattio" is the 2009 limited first edition which I bought from Mike who is a friend. I don't know if he has other copies. I think the going rate is $100 - 150. They are hard to find.

The Dennis Roberts Limited Presentation Edition is very special : 12 copies for his inner circle.

A reasonably priced book which contains Wallace's dating guide is Mitchell - a class by itself. By Paul J. Hyde jr. You should find this easily in the US.

You must realize that many of these books are limited runs, which make them collectable in their own right and, therefore, more valuable than they would be just as books. The problem authors have is that there is little demand for books on Mitchell.

The Mitchell collector's value guide by Dennis Roberts is a good book to have as are the books by Caminade, although they are in French. The "Frewing" is inexpensive.

I found the best thing is to make one's own research and notes. There is a wealth of information in this Forum, although much of it is contradictory. Take your time and work through it quietly, ask questions as necessary and you'll soon have all the information you need.

Kind regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am • #  

Mates,

Since nothing cloth has been posted in this thread so, I post a few (refraining from posting many :lol ).

Here are the Garcia Fishing Team and Pro Staff cloth patches.

John

Attachment:
Garcia patch Fishing_Team 113x65mm.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia patch Pro_Staff 113x65mm.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32 am • #  

Here are a couple more: Garcia Fishing Award and World Record Holder cloth patches.

Attachment:
Garcia patch award 79mm.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia patch world_record 76mm.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am • #  

John,

Love the patches. I've never seen them before. So many nice items out there to see. I look forward to more.

Kind regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 am • #  

Hey Dennis2149,

Garcia also did cloth patches of gamefish (some of which are fairly common). Here are 3 of the more elaborate, visually intersting ones (perhaps not as common).

John
Attachment:
Garcia patch Largemouth_Bass_2 92x72mm.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia patch Trout_2 77x91mm.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia patch Trout_1 91mm.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 pm • #  

Hi John,

Really like those patches. Dennis2149

Hi Mates,
Remember the tin box? What is stored in it????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:43 pm • #  

All things Mitchell lures. Both new and used.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 pm • #  

Includes two pics that represent European Packaging...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm • #  

Mates,
Snow, sleet and freezing rain here today. Good opportunity to take some pics and share with you.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm • #  

Close up...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 pm • #  

Need to put some nice Mitchell/CAP Reels on these...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 pm • #  

Think Blue Conolon...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

:sFun_eyescan: Lots of Great stuff here :sFun_eyescan: Thanks for posting :sHa_okay: .

I agree that you can't have too much reference material and I could make an argument that it is probably the most important part of your collection. My reference library has prevented me from making many poor judgments/purchases and has also provided hours of reading/researching enjoyment. Here are a few of mine that haven't been mentioned yet.

These are all of the Garcia Fishing Annuals 1958-1980. Great stories, advertising and history.
Attachment:
Garcia Fishing Annuals.jpg

These are the Garcia Fishing Tackle Catalogs (Trade Magazines) and I have most of them 1952-Late 80s.
Attachment:
Garcia Tackle Catalogs.jpg

And these are Garcia's The Spin Fisherman which were subscription quarterlies in the early to mid 1950s. They contain stories, reader submissions with photos and advertising.
Attachment:
Spin Fisherman.jpg

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:46 pm • #  

Here are a few more:

This is a Garcia Service Manual (Well Used) - The Schematics are excellent and many have the Reel Mechanics personal notes.
Attachment:
Service Manual.jpg

Attachment:
Service Manual 1.jpg

And these are parts lists, interchangeability listing/cross reference and schematics.
Attachment:
Parts Lists.jpg

As I said, you just can't have too much reference material but unfortunately it's getting harder to find and usually quite expensive when you do........But I remain on the hunt.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:04 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
Very nice reference material. I would enjoy and could loose myself reading all those publications. I'm anxious for spring to already get here so I can get onto a stream with a vintage reel.
Best regards, Dennis2149

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next   Page 2 of 10   [ 281 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply