Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next   Page 3 of 11   [ 304 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm • #  

Dennis,

Very nice collection of Conolon rods in beautiful condition. Do you fish any of them? I have several early Conolons that I don't fish but I found several years ago that the 1960's / early 1970s Conolons have got to be the best rod ever manufactured - I have about a dozen that I fish. I fished Shakespeare Ugly Sticks for years and then switched to the old Conolons.......I was fishing with telephone poles compared to the Conolon and Shakespeare makes a fine rod. Only my opinion :sHa_biggrin: .

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 am • #  

Thanks Chris,

My first true fishing rod was a 6'1/2" Garcia Conolon that came with my first Mitchell 300 back in about 1967. I basically wore the rod out as a kid but I'm still fishing with the that first Mitchell. I've mentioned before in other posts on MRM that I have a twin brother. We both received our Mitchell 300's at the same time and it's cool that our reels have consecutive serial No's. I've been fishing with inexpensive carbon composite rods and only picked up the posted group of Conolon's over the last few years. Like you, I'm going to convert back to the fiberglass and rig up one or more of those Conolon's for trout fishing this coming spring. I guess that I'm just not tuff enough to go ice fishing right now.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 am • #  

great pictures for this thread. Been busy with work so could not contribute until now.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Once Ipurchased Dennis's book and Ben's book I started looking for any Mitchell book out there. Dentist suggested Barry's book which started it all. Barry said he had this limited production of mugs and only 2 left. so I purchased both of those mugs sight unseen.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm • #  

Not sure if anyone finds these interesting...I can buy these three for $20 right now...PM me if you are...There are actually five for sale...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Dennis2149 wrote:
and rig up one or more of those Conolon's for trout fishing this coming spring. I guess that I'm just not tuff enough to go ice fishing right now.

Best regards, Dennis2149

Dennis, I grew up in Maine ice fishing from the time the ice was safe to go out on until it was slush over a thin layer of ice.... I'm one of few who have actually gone through the ice - in 30 ft of water - at night - alone - 3/4 of a mile from shore (Pressure Ridge)....But that's another story :eek . Not so sure I'm ready to do that now and there's just not that much ice in Virginia. I will be ready to go once it warms up a little here though :tup.

Here's a Garcia ice fishing rod I believe from the late 1970s and while its only marked "Garcia" "Made in USA", I'm pretty sure it is a Conolon. The reel rings, cork and end caps are exactly like the ones on a Conolon rod. It's a beautiful little rod, 31" long and no sign of ever being used.
Attachment:
Ice Rod.jpg

Attachment:
Ice Rod 1.jpg

Attachment:
Ice Rod 2.jpg

I've never seen one like this before.

Kim, Those "Birth of a Legend" mugs are fantastic :clap . While I would say I've never seen those before ......... Ah, no kidding - Only 50 exist!! Great find and thank you for sharing some photos.

Sandman, Nice lures in original packaging.....Those are about the size of most of the trout I catch :sFun_rofl:

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

It's great to see your contributions to this thread. Love the Reels, Mugs, Lures and that little pup of an ice fishing Garcia Rod. I look forward to checking in on our forum every day.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:31 am • #  

Attachment:
spool 1.JPG

Attachment:
spool 2.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 pm • #  

Dear Laroupane,

Nice big selection of unopened Mitchell Spools. Thanks for posting. Regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Dennis started a great thread and I would like to keep it going so here's another.

This is one of my most prized pieces in my Reel Room Library. This is the first edition of Fishing Tackle and Techniques written by Dick Wolf, copyright in 1961. This book would later be a standard piece of the Garcia "K Kits" in paperback form later in the 1960s/70s.
Attachment:
DeSimone Book.jpg

Louis DeSimone was the Founder, President and CEO of Impecco Ltd. which was the exclusive importer to the United States of Carpano and Pons and Garcia, established in New York City in 1954. This book is his personal copy.
Attachment:
DeSimone Book 1.jpg

Attachment:
DeSimone Book 2.jpg

I purchased this book from Louis' son, Doug DeSimone a few years ago. The book is still in excellent condition after almost 60 years. I also have several copies in paperback which came included with the Brown case Garcia Mitchell "K Kits" of various models i.e. 300/400 egg body reels.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm • #  

Hello Laroupane,

Very nice new in the package (NIP) Mitchell spools, thank you for contributing. For Mates that may not know:
9107 - Small Spool for 314/315
9108 - Large Spool for 314/315
9105 - Small Spool for 304/305
9110 - Only came in a large spool and obviously for the 340 (it's stamped on the wrapper :sHa_biggrin: ). Additionally, there was no 341.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm • #  

Hi Chris,

A great book and addition to your library. Something to be proud of. Thanks for the breakdown of the spool designations and keeping the thread going. I'll be posting more in the near future and hope that other mates will keep the thread alive as well.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 pm • #  

Hey Mates!

Re:340 spool

About the 340, it was the last hurrah for the little round reels...

The first and last of anything is something of interest, yet the 340 is totally ignored and remains in limbo...

I know it was an entry-level "economy" reel, but it had the history of its predecessors to give it a reputation for quality craftsmanship...

And the history that started with the CAP (or whatever name is correct for the first round ones) ended without fanfare with its demise...

So be it, but I want more...

Reely

P/S: Weather allowing I intend to saltwater fish, casting from the beach my newly acquired 3-0-4 and 314 reels with braided line, to see if the old works with the new...

My pristine 340 will remain home so that I can be called a collector too :sHa_lol:

I am confident that all will be well and I will have a few fish dinners!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 pm • #  

Attachment:
M1.JPG

Attachment:
m2.JPG

Attachment:
M3.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 pm • #  

Attachment:
m4.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm • #  

Laroupane,
That is fantastic! :sHa_okay:
Thank You for sharing.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 pm • #  

OK, Ok...

So where are the bumper stickers??? :sHa_lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm • #  

Laroupane,

OK, now I'm envious. Great lampe. Thanks for posting it.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:59 am • #  

Another picture showing the different parts of this lamp.
Packing, notice, support, rotating part (where are the drawings) and part containing the corrugated paper, which gives a movement to the images when the rotating part is in action under the effect of the heat
Attachment:
M4.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm • #  

Key chain and fire starter. Mitchell is on other side of key chain. Lighter came from a show in Japan. Drag stick on side and gives off sparks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm • #  

Hi Kim,

Nice items. My keychains only have Mitchell on both sides. Thanks for keeping the thread going.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:45 am • #  

other side of the two items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:48 am • #  

This must have some age on it due to the color of Packaging and writing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 pm • #  

Kim,
Is this just the box or is there a spool inside? If you have the spool I would love to see what this mint spool looks like. :eek

If you could take it apart and show the clicker and so on, it would be fantastic. :sBo_bounce2:

When searching for spools on eBay, I can't tell if they have the original parts or if the seller has messed around with it and has a frankenspool! :sCh_taz:
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

So many fantastic Garcia Mitchell / Mitchell items displayed here :clap . Thank you all for expanding my horizons.

Kim, I have the same Garcia fire starter except in blue and not in the original packaging.
Attachment:
Garcia Lighter.jpg

Here's another hard to find item. Mitchell hook/lure holders. They snap over your rod and you stick the hook into the cork backing. I believe these were exclusive to Europe as I've never seen them advertised by Garcia.
Attachment:
Mitchell Candies.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell Candies 1.jpg

I'm not sure of the years available but in Europe the were referred to as "Candies" due to the bright colors and small round shape.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
You guys are killing me with all this Mitchell misc.. :sAng_banghead2:
I've been trying to find something that was worthy of the string. :sCo_hmmthink:
Maybe, this would qualify. It is the label from an opened mint 1956 Mitchell 300 where the box, reel, Garcia manual all are like all the others I have seen over the years. I got it from a fellow from the upper North Western corner of our country, so I suspicion that is from Canada, maybe.
Has anybody else seen this label before?
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 pm • #  

First off Chris I have never seen those Mitchell Lure holders. Just boggles my mind how much is out there that none of us have seen except for themselves. I'm sure Garcia had made several of those for the public.
Ted, that Packaging looks very similar 2 the 350 5 / 1 reels that were packed in the two piece plastic clam type box. I would imagine that is very rare.
Bill here is several pictures of the spool but I am not taking the drag off

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Kim,
That's correct about a similar label being on those red/white plastic boxes. I've had a couple with 330 reels in them. The shape of the fish is the same, but made for the shape of those boxes. This is the only square label for one of the regular blue Mitchell that I've run across. It could be only used for European, and Canadian reels. :sFun_oldguy:
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:18 pm • #  

Kim,
Thanks for posting the pics, now I will know what to look for. 8o
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:44 am • #  

hello
Some Mitchell accessories in a showcase.
The two fish on the frame are French lures "TERROR" dating from 1910/1920
Attachment:
vitrine.JPG

Attachment:
vitrine 1.JPG

Attachment:
vitrine 2.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:47 am • #  

Attachment:
vitrine 3.JPG

Attachment:
vitrine 4.JPG

Attachment:
vitrine 5.JPG

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next   Page 3 of 11   [ 304 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply