Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next   Page 4 of 11   [ 304 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am • #  

Great display Laroupane. I see you have the same hook keepers as Chris. Never have seen the early Mitchell tool for the Salt Water reel. Mitchell pins too.
Ted, I meant for the ottomatic but for some reason typed 350 5/1. Never have seen that color and style. Great graphics.

I'm going to have to do some more digging.............
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_okay: :tup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am • #  

Ted Lanham wrote:
It is the label from an opened mint 1956 Mitchell 300 where the box, reel, Garcia manual all are like all the others I have seen over the years. I got it from a fellow from the upper North Western corner of our country, so I suspicion that is from Canada, maybe.
Has anybody else seen this label before?

Hello,
This "fish" was used on ads in the years 1955/1956.
He is also on the old box of the 330 otomatic.
Includes an advertisement of June 1955 published on the monthly fishing journal "La Pêche et les Poissons"
Best regards to all

Attachment:
MITCELL CAP 54 4M SALT WATER MOULIN POIVRE COULEUR PP 06 1955.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 am • #  

Hi Mates,

Terrific pictures of Garcia/Mitchell/CAP items.

Laroupane,

Very nicely organized and constructed showcase with little seen items. Like Kim mentioned, I'm going to have to dig deeper now....

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 pm • #  

Hello Laroupane,

Fantastic advertising - Thank you for sharing.
Below is the original wrapper from my New in the Box (NIB) Mitchell Saltwater Bigfoot reel. It's the only label I have like that aside from several in the Mitchell otomatic/330 in the cream and red plastic case.
Attachment:
NIB Saltwater Wrapper.jpg

Ted that label for the Mitchell 300 is suberb as well. You just don't find many of those around as they were probably the first thing to go in the trash by either the dealer or the purchaser.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:56 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Laroupane,
Great display. I second the "Thanks for sharing" remark.

Man, this string just keeps getting better and better. :clap

I think there's a chance those particular fish labels may not have been circulated in the US.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:53 am • #  

Hello,
Another Mitchell object: a sound and visual detector with its support for rod .
On the catalog Mitchell 1968 in photo under the detector (already 50 years old!)
Best regards
Attachment:
detecteur sonore.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am • #  

Dennis, I believe cookies or " buskers " came in those tins. I believe from Netherlands area. I have one also. Very cool.
Here is some more things I found.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Couple of Spin Fisherman. In one the guy paired a 304 with a H & B pole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am • #  

A few more.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sBo_bounce2:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

This is a fantastic thread so I just wanted to keep it going Dennis.

Kim, Great collectables - all new to me. Thank you for sharing. Here are a couple more.

These are paper packets from Europe and I believe from the 1960s, maybe early 1970s. They were provided to customers by dealers for small purchases. I framed these for display.
Attachment:
Packets.jpg

This is a DVD of four short movies from the 1960s. I've watched it several times and while you probably wont see them at "The Grammys", they're actually pretty good. I received this from my very good friend Doug, a great guy and Mitchell collector - he has many posts here in the older threads of these Forums.
Attachment:
DVD.jpg

Attachment:
DVD 1.jpg

Back to the top Dennis.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 pm • #  

Hi Chris and Mates,

I'm glad you're keeping the thread going. I have a group of those nice paper packets too. I would enjoy the DVD. I finally got some of my Mitchell Stuff out of storage and it's been like Christmas time. Things that I forgot I had from years ago including a round body reel. I will need input about the reel as soon as I resize the pics and post them.

Garcia/Mitchell/CAP are our friends,

Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Although I had completely forgotten about it, I had purchased this reel from a seller in France back in 2012. Said seller described the reel as “etat neuf” translated as “new condition”. So Chris, I now have (3) round body reels but you don't have to worry for I don't think that I'll be catching up to you anytime soon. This reel does not appear to have ever been mounted to a rod or fished, however the spool has some indication that it may have had line on it and was perhaps used. So my first question Mates is: Do you think the spool is period and original to the reel? Additionally, the artists drawing on the leaflet depicts the reel as being inscribed Mitchell Cap 304 and the reel is only inscribed Mitchell 3-0-4 although CAP is on the back of the reel housing. So my second question is: Does the Box, Reel and Paperwork seem to belong together?

Because of the early serial number, the French paperwork and where the reel was obtained by me, I would place this reel as a 1956 European (France) distribution. I would love to hear your opinions.

I can only post (3) pics at a time…….

Last edited by Dennis2149 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 pm • #  

More....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 pm • #  

And more....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 pm • #  

And finally....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 am • #  

Hey Dennis2149,

This is a truly wonderful thread, but with your last post I'm confused about what its purpose is. I took "all things" to mean items beyond reels. If it truly means everything (including reel specifics), how can that work (for browsing, searching, etc.)?

So, with some uncertainty, I mention this. Chris (cshannon772) had a question about the source of his 5-foot-long Garcia advertising foldout on another thread.
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5652&sid=f5546975f6dbd917214ae6532f061bc0
Perhaps this foldout approach to ad’s merits posting here, as everyone may not be aware. Below are some of my examples.

Warm regards,
John
Attachment:
6304 SA foldout sm.jpg

Attachment:
6305 FS foldout sm.jpg

Attachment:
6504 SA foldout sm.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 am • #  

Some more stuff. Chris I was told these bags were for repair parts as you mentioned small parts. I do have one that is not Mitchell but definitely European. I will show both sides.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am • #  

In addition to the photos of Kim, the resin plate (I think) that was used to make the various small plates for the presses, one plate per color. The Bracko bag was part of it
Dennis2149, your boxed 304 is a first model (in my opinion), I have the same with the same small notice
Attachment:
matrice1.jpg

Attachment:
matrice 2.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:52 am • #  

Hi Mates,

Laroupane, Those plates are fantastic pieces of Mitchell history which I'm sure few have ever seen. Thank you for sharing.

Dennis, Your exactly right with respect to your Mitchell 304. All is period correct and dating to 1956. A beautiful reel also and a great addition to any collection. I would say that your European distro 304 is probably early 1956 based on the serial number and the paperwork which was leftover from 1955 - not an uncommon practice at the time to even include leftover boxes for newer model reels.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 am • #  

Kim,

Great examples of the parts bags. I noticed you have the larger version and in perfect condition. I've only seen the larger packets once before in Christian's collection. Thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am • #  

Dear Laroupane and Chris,
Thanks for your confirmation of my 304.

Mates,
Great parts bags and I agree the plates are historical. I have a couple parts bags that are a bit different than posted and several early ones not Mitchell. I hope to post some pics soon. Thanks for the wonderful additions to this thread. I'm amazed at the depth of your collections.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 am • #  

Fantastic . Talk about reference material put all that lot into a nice little soft cover, Cheers .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am • #  

Those plates are fantastic. Have you tried to use them to see how they print?? Great thread..........
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:02 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

A couple more pics of Mitchell Parts Bags. The third pic is of some part bags other than Mitchell hence, not true to this topic/thread but, I thought some mates might like to see them.

Kind regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:54 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Dennis, very nice parts bags. I haven't seen the long blue/white Mitchell bag before - very nice find.

Below are a few of my Mitchell and Garcia Mitchell leather reel bags. These are not lined and built quite sturdy with very robust zippers. I'm not sure of the years for the earliest reel bag (1st photo) but the gold embossed bag dates to the early 1950's (2nd photo) and the stamped small and large bags date to the 1960/early 70s (3rd photo).
Attachment:
Mitchell Reel Bag.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell Reel Bag 1.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell Reel Bag 2.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you mates but I'm starting to have to look around the reel room to find things to post here :sCh_taz: .

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
Please continue. :clap

Regards,
Ted Lanam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Chris,
Very nice leather reel bags. I too am having to dig for more items to post. I have a couple more boxes to get out of storage but I think they contain mostly reels and spools. We'll see. So far, I've been absolutely amazed at what the mates have contributed to this thread. Its been fun.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 pm • #  

Hi Ted and Dennis,

I too am amazed by the many fantastic Mitchell items/memorabilia posted here. I've been collecting and studying Mitchell for several years now and many of the Mates contributions to this thread have provided me with an outstanding education....you just never know what someone is going to show next! Thank you all :tup :sSig_nicethread: .

Ted,
I've got a few more up my sleeve over here :sHa_yes: . I am however anxious to post my newest addition to my collection in a seperate post. I should be receiving it in the next couple of days. I'll throw out a few hints though just to get the Mitchell juices flowing. I've never seen one, it's MINT/NIB, there are no photos of one here in the Museum and I can't find any reference to it here in the Forums. This is a true Mitchell Unicorn and probably my best find for all of 2018 :sFi_flamethrower:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 am • #  

Hello,
Below are scans of an advertising booklet published by the City of Cluses in 1955.
On the back cover, advertisement for Mitchell superimposed on the photo of Cluses. In interior pages, plan of the City of Cluses.
The advertisement says: "In our torrents TROUT abounds ...." "On site you will equip the famous Mitchell spinning reel" "born in Cluses, built at the CARPANO & PONS establishments.
Also attached the scan of the same booklet published later: we can see the City of Cluses and the river Arve
Attachment:
livret cluses 1.jpg

Attachment:
livret cluses 2.jpg

Attachment:
livret cluses 3.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:42 am • #  
Global Moderator

Laroupane,
I ,really, appreciate the time you have taken to post all your Mitchell, and related, items on this forum. You being from France have access to these objects, that most of us only dream of, and probably would never see if it weren't for you being kind enough to post them.

Chris, I can't imagine what you have found.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:03 am • #  

Hello Ted,
I will continue to post what I think is important to honor the memory of those who have contributed to Mitchell's world-renowned reputation. Now that Mitchell has been destroyed by the American buyer in 2016, who can revive a picture of the wealth of products of this brand? Only lovers this brand that have, for some recently, for others for many years, bought, pampered, study these reels and share their knowledge that will never be exhaustive.

Another object that has gone through the years despite its weak structure: a service box (SAV) to return the equipment out of repair, bought in 2003 in Eindhoven in the Netherlands to a French seller.
The date of mailing is May 1962.
I put a box of 300 in to show the size.
Best regards
Attachment:
sav1.JPG

Attachment:
sav2.JPG

Attachment:
sav3.JPG

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next   Page 4 of 11   [ 304 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply