Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:43 pm • #  

A friend of mine showed me some photos of his Dad’s lucky catch in the Brador Lakes in Cape Breton. 5 pretty large Rainbows. The images were on his phone, about 24 inches or 60 CM.

These are tidal lakes that are less saline than the ocean.

There is a Aquaculture Industry that raises Rainbow Trout for the foodmarket. We had a Hurricane in September which caused a sea surge that drove hundreds of fish over the top of the enclosure netting and now the escaped fish are hitting anything you throw at them.

Since it is tidal, you can fish all year I believe. I wonder if the surviving fish will spawn and start a Steelhead sport fishery.

Wishing I lived up that way.

G. Glen Simpson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:46 am • #  

A few days ago the fellow at work had a photo on his phone, a 7 pound rainbow trout. If there has to be an accidental fish release, at least it is a decent fish. Rainbows are found in some lakes here.

Other lakes have had illegal transplanting of Chain Pickerel by anglers because they are fun to catch. So were the trout and landlocked salmon that now are gone from these lakes.

Glen again

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:51 am • #  

Glen,
We have both Steelhead and Rainbow Trout here in Michigan. As you know Rainbow Trout and Steelhead are in the same species except with different lifestyles. The difference is that Steelhead are anadromous and spend part of their lives in the sea (or Great Lakes) before going to fresh water rivers or streams to spawn. Rainbow trout spend their lives mostly or entirely in freshwater.

Here in Michigan "Steelies" (as they are known here) are a fantastic fishery (not saying anything against Rainbows) and many fisherman do nothing but go after them. They can get huge gorging themselves on abundant prey in the Great Lakes. When they eventually go up stream to spawn, fishermen without Great Lake 'sized' boats can have a go at them, wading in streams. When you get one on its like having a freight train on the end of your line. :sBo_bounce2:

It will be interesting to see if the escaped Steelhead will eventually go back up your freshwater streams and rivers to attempt to spawn. If they do get ready for some fantastic angling not to mention scrumptious eating.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:54 pm • #  

Thanks Bill,

I just wish that I lived closer! It is about 3 hours away.

I was born and raised in Ontario, near the mouth of the St Clair River, 5 or so miles from Algonac, Mi. I grew up fishing the north east corner of Lake St Clair and the St Clair delta. We did not have Steelhead or Rainbows, they were just being introduced about the time I left to join the Navy in 1966. We mostly targeted Walleyes, Pike and Bass as well as panfish. Lots of fun.

Best wishes, glad the site is back up.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:29 pm • #  

After a month, I am back on this. Joe, the guy at work told me today his father and uncle are down at the edge of the ice, still catching these escaped Rainbows. He says the Brasdor lakes have huge smelt in them, The fishermen are baiting with them and casting a one ounce weight far out, then bringing them in.

Since the lakes are tidal, you don’t need a licence and the season doesn’t apply. Joe’s uncle is 85.

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:32 am • #  

The big question, will Rainbow Trout spawn, that were in a Fish Farm? Are they infertile?

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 am • #  
Global Moderator

Glen,
This may be an answer to your question.
A couple decades ago, here in WV, a trout stocking truck broke down and all the trout were dumped in a nearby stream that, usually, was just used for illegal trash dumping and sewage. It turned out the trout have taken right to it, and have produce some nice fish over the years, but I wouldn't advise eating them. Here's a link to the story.
https://wchstv.com/news/local/wild-trou ... ek-cleanup

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:45 pm • #  

Thanks for the article Ted, hope we get a similar effect here in Nova Scotia.

Glen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:38 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Glen,
You might have to add some trash and appliances to the water, like here, for it to work. :lol :lol :lol

Regards,
Ted

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:11 am • #  

You very funny guy Ted

Glen

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:34 pm • #  

Got my fishing lisence lol and behold, there is a picture in the rule guide book of a young fellow with a youth record rainbow for the province of 7.3 pounds. It was from the Brasdor lakes.

Probably from this escape. Fish was caught through the ice

Glen

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply