Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 3rd version 301
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 pm • #  

I have what I believe to be a 3rd version LH (301) with only Mitchell etched on an inverted side plate ser.#99773. Anyone know when this reel was produced?

Post subject: Re: 3rd version 301
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:46 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Terry M.,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
According to the "Dating" link at the top of the page, your reel was made in 1953.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 pm • #  

Thanks for the info, is this reel considered rare, I cannot find a pic anywhere that doesn't have 3-0-1 on it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 pm • #  

Terry,
How about posting some photographs of your reel?

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:48 am • #  
Global Moderator

Terry M.,
I don't know how many of those 3rd version 301s were made. I'd say they made enough that I've seen a couple of them over the years, so I wouldn't them "rare". Just my opinion.
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 am • #  

Surely a reel with no prefix letter would be from an earlier time?

I'd go for 1951 or '52 in this case. I'm sure there are more out there but they do seem pretty rare...I've seen just one and I know it actually came from the US.

Tinca found a French advert, seemingly from 1951, saying a reel for 'gauchers' would be out soon. Gauchers is an out-dated mildly insulting name for left handed people apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 am • #  

Hello,

Enclosed photos of a 3rd model "left-handed" #B28636.
The foot is longer than the "right-handed" having the letter A.

The foundry is not ALUVAC as for right-handed but THECLA
THECLA F 857 A1 for the housing and THECLA F 857. A3 for the rotating head (see photo of one I have in spare part), FRANCE on the counterweight.

The left-handed model is advertised on the CAP 1951 catalogue and is present on the CAP 1953 catalogue at the same price as the right-handed model.

In 1954 the 3rd model and the fourth left-handed model cohabited from January to May: 935 copies for the 3rd, 18630 for the 4th of which 2931 from January to May
I do not have data for 1953

Just what I know

Hello bailarm, "gaucher" is not an insulting name in the French language, a person using his right (droite in french) hand is a "droitier", the one who uses his left (gauche in French) hand is a "gaucher"
Attachment:
P1200520.JPG

Attachment:
P1200521.JPG

Attachment:
P1200525.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 am • #  

Serial number is B28626 AND NOT B28636
another
Attachment:
P1200523.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 am • #  

An immaculate reel from Laroupane. Very nice indeed.

I was lucky enough to find a boxed lefty recently and attach photos. What is interesting is that it has no serial number. We now know that the first RHW's were made without numbers, but judging by the box and other particulars this reel should have a "B" or "C" number. I don't think it is a replacement body.

I have another absolutely mint MK.3 reel which lacks a number, when it clearly should be "B" or "C".

Perhaps in the beginning the numbering process was unreliable and some reels slipped through.

Referring to Bailarm's post, The "A", "B" and "C" numbers came first.

Without a pre-fix, I would have expected Terry M's reel to be a hoop-bail. Maybe the pre-fix didn't take ?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:34 am • #  

[quote="Laroupane"]Hello,

Hello bailarm, "gaucher" is not an insulting name in the French language, a person using his right (droite in french) hand is a "droitier", the one who uses his left (gauche in French) hand is a "gaucher"

Laroupane, please forgive my ridiculously late reply! I only today spotted your advice about 'gaucher'.

In English the word 'gauche' was used many decades ago to describe someone as 'socially clumsy'...clearly a mistake on the part of the English!. This caused me to think it might have been an inappropriate description.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ish/gauche

We English really are quite appalling at learning other languages, aren't we? I wish I had tried harder at French at school now, but I was so bad they wouldn't even let me take the exams in case I spoiled their averages.........

Thank-you for' putting me straight' :sSig_thankyou:

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply