Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:51 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

I have this nice 3rd version egg shaped Mitchell that I found on eBay several years ago. It's the only reel in my collection to have come with a distributor label/logo on the reel body. As posted in the third pic, the label/logo is badly deteriorated. I'm hoping that enough of it remains that one or more of you can help me perhaps identify which country and/or distributor of origin it represents. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Dennis2149

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 pm • #  

Another pic of label/logo....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 pm • #  

Dear Dennis2149
What a fabulous reel , very desirable.
May I suggest the logo to be of French origin.
I can make out pêch and might reasonably assume pêche or pêcheur ?
Kind regards
John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:21 pm • #  

Thanks John,
You have good eyes. I observed the same. If French, I am hoping that Laroupane can identify it for us. It's been a mystery to me for some time.
Kind regards, Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 pm • #  

Hey Mates!

Is there another photo???

The one I see reads Dalex, and below, it has 99...

Did I miss something???

Reely

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:21 pm • #  

Hi Dennis,

Wow :sFun_eyescan: . A beautiful 3rd Version Mitchell reel in itself but with what I believe to be a local dealer/sport shop decal on it - even more special! I can't identify what/where but I agree with you and John that it's likely French. Laroupane will be the guy to identify it if anyone can - he'll probably show us several examples of the pristine decal :sHa_yes: . A great find and wonderful addition to any collection - especially with the specialized decal. Thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 pm • #  

Thanks Chris, I hope you're right about Laroupane showing us some examples.

Reely,
It's a bit hard to see but in one of the pics the Pech is sort of visible on the left upper side if you enlarge the pic. I may take some additional pics of the label/logo that may help for identification. I would love to narrow its origin down.

Kind regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
Here are three additional pics of the mystery label/logo...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:39 am • #  

Hello Dennis 2149,

I watched this decal carefully.

In my opinion it is that of a fishing shop in Paris.
PECHE CHASSE DALEX 9è 55 rue de Châteaudun
FISHING HUNTING DALEX 9th 55 Châteaudun street
On this decal, the city is not indicated, but in Paris there is rue de Châteaudun in the 9th "arrondissement (district)".
It is not 99 which is indicated but 9th, in the addresses for Paris it is never indicated "arronsissement", just the number of the district. There are 20 districts in Paris.
I lent a friend a 1950 book showing all the fishing shops in France, I sent him a message for him to see if he finds this magisin Dalex at this address, which would confirm what I think.
Best regards
Christian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 am • #  

Salut Christian, merci beaucoup.
I really appreciate the information that you have provided on the decal. Makes perfect sense and to me adds a level of provenance to this early Mitchell reel. I know that I obtained this nice reel on eBay in May of 2012. My limited notes do not indicated who or where the seller was located. I have purchased reels on e.Bay fr. and this may very well be one of them. I will research this a bit more. I look forward to any additional information that your friend might find in your book regarding PECHE CHASSE DALEX 9è 55 rue de Châteaudun.

Meilleures salutations, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:55 am • #  

Hey Mates,

Christian, you are our Mitchell super hero!

There is a confirmation of the address. Via Google Books I found this snippet (no more due to copyright protection) from 1951 Au Bord de l'Eau (unfortunately no month or page number provided):
Quote:
Près de moi, le colonel Tassoni se fait la main et me montre, à nos Robert DALEX " L'ami des Pêcheur» tt des Chasseurs " Présente ses vœux les meilleurs pour 1952 ☆ Vous souhaite de joyeuses fêtes et serait enchanté de faire votre connaissance dans son magasin : 55, rue de Châteaudun, PARIS-9* - Trinité 14-18 TOUT POUR PÊCHE ET CHASSE CHASSE SOUS-MARINE comme ça, sans savoir, pour la première foisl... Vite, recommençons ... J'en ai pris cinquante-sept!

Rough Google translation:
Quote:
Near me, Colonel Tassoni makes his hand and shows me, to our Robert DALEX "The friend of the Fishermen" and Hunters "Wishes the best for 1952 ☆ Wish you happy holidays and would be delighted to make your acquaintance in his store: 55, rue de Châteaudun, PARIS-9 * - Trinity 14-18 ALL FOR FISHING AND HUNTING UNDERWATER HUNTING like that, without knowing, for the first time! ... Quick, let's start again ... I took fifty-seven!

John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm • #  

Hello John,

Very nice research work, I also searched the internet on French sites without results, so it confirms what I thought thank you

For 1951 I have only six Au Bord De l'Eau, the French collector calls it ABDE for simplification.
I have the November 1951 and the January 1952 , unfortunately not the December 1951 .
I'm going to check if I find a few things about this store in these two issues, I think it's more on the December issue because "Wishes the best for 1952"
Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:14 pm • #  

Hi John,
Good piece of detective work. Thanks for providing additional information on the Paris Fishing and Hunting Shop, and for confirming Christians work. I take my hat off to both of you.
Kind regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:15 am • #  

Hello,

I found the advertisement of Robert Dalex in ABDE from January 1952.

This advertisement is on page 79 of the number 186.
Attached the photos of the advertisement and the first page of ABDE.

Best regards
Attachment:
ROBERT DALEX.jpg

Attachment:
ABDE 01 1952.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:14 am • #  

Hello,

My friend replied that DALEX was not on the 1950 yearbook.
I watched my ABDE from 1950 to 1952 and found two advertisements, one from June 1952 and one from July 1951.
Attached photos
Best regards
Attachment:
Dalex 07 1951.jpg

Attachment:
Dalex 06 1952.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am • #  

Hi Christian,
Thank you for posting the additional information and advertisements regarding the Dalex Shop in Paris. It makes me appreciate the 3rd version reel at a another level. I envision a bustling city of great people still working hard to put behind them memories of a war that took away so much. The return of industry, normalcy and, perhaps not unlike here in the USA, a renewed interest in outdoor sports like hunting and fishing. Thanks again for researching the logo/label/sticker for me.
Kind regards, Dennis2149

Salut Christian,
Merci d'avoir posté les informations supplémentaires et les publicités concernant le Dalex Shop à Paris. Cela me fait apprécier la bobine de la 3ème version à un autre niveau. J'imagine une ville animée de gens formidables qui travaillent encore dur pour mettre derrière eux les souvenirs d'une guerre qui leur a tant pris. Le retour de l'industrie, la normalité et, peut-être un peu comme ici aux États-Unis, un regain d'intérêt pour les sports de plein air comme la chasse et la pêche. Merci encore pour la recherche du logo / étiquette / autocollant pour moi.
Cordialement, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 am • #  

Hello Dennis,
I looked in my fishery magazines "Fishing and Fish" from 1950 to 1954 that I complete. The first advertisement is June 1951 and from 1951 there are repetitive advertisements for the text.

I just scanned two ads where we see Robert Dalex (I think it's him) in front of his store, the first of June 1952, the second of June 1953.

This last picture is larger and I think you could make an impression of this picture and put it next to your reel. There are probably not many collectors who can have the reel and the vintage photo of the store that sold it 65 years ago

It is with pleasure that I did this research, researches facilitated by the date found by John, that limited the consultation of the journals halieutiques (+ of 2000 in my collection) on five years
Best regards
Attachment:
Dalex PP 06 1952.jpg

Attachment:
Dalex 06 1953.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 am • #  

Hi Christian,
Wonderful research and pictures. I also want to thank John for his detective work on the internet. I will attempt to do as you say and capture a pic of the reel and shop together. If successful, I'll post it for the mates.
With appreciation, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
Christian gave me an idea so I played around a bit with a photo imaging program and came up with this pic....

Approximately, sixty-five years ago in Paris France, this reel left this shop traveling through time and across an ocean.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm • #  

Hey Christian and Dennis2149,

Absolutely marvelous work! (Beyond words.) What wonderful provenance.

Christian, thanks for searching out those advertisements.

What fun to view.

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:54 pm • #  

Great Detective work Mates! :sSig_youtheman: .....well Men!
Dennis, that will make an awesome background for the display of that special reel. Congratulations and well done!!

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 pm • #  

John and Chris,
Thank you very much for the most kind compliments. It's gratifying to have the help of knowledgeable mates to find answers, share ideas and explore new ideas in our wonderful hobby.
With kind regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I would like to propose that we start a new thread composed of Mitchell reels that have local - only local and original dealer decals or stickers on them. Distributors like Milbro, Albatros, Balzer, ARCA, BHV etc. won't count. Looking for actual local sporting goods shops or neighborhood/regional stores. My bet is European dealers have the most local advertising. Dennis, would you take the lead on the new thread with your new reel? - I think it could be very interesting.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
I think your idea of a new thread on local dealer decals sounds like it could be fun. My only reel with such a decal has been presented in this current thread. Related, I did find very interesting reading in another thread "Nordic Mitchell distributors" here on the forum. Your probably right in surmising that European Dealers may perhaps have more extensive advertising labels. Our European Mates in all probability would be able to share many with us. If you have in your collection a number of these labels perhaps it would be best if you took the lead, that is if I'm correctly understanding the best way to proceed. I'll jump in where I can.

Best regards, Dennis2149

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply