Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:27 am • #  

Hello:   First a comment; you've got a great thing going here - I've learned more about Mitchell in the last 2 days! The knowledge is amazing!  Now to my question!  I have numerous old Mitchell reels.  My father was an avid fisherman and obviously had a lot of confidence in Mitchell.  I have one reel, I believe it is a 300.  It is stamped "made in France", and also with the serial # of B09010.  It comes in a blue box with just Mitchell on the outside of the box,  the bottom of the box is mark "free traded".  It also has a pamphlet, a letter my father wrote to Mitchell in 1968 to purchase some parts, a part and price listing sheet sent back to my father in 1968 with the parts he ordered (I have those parts too), and an extra can with the reel in the box. The reel was well cared for, and looks very nice.  He took much pride in his fishing equipment.  I would be happy to send pictures.  I would like to sell this reel, and possibly some other Mitchell's.  In reading many posts, it sounds like the 300 is pretty common.  Is there any value to this reel?  Thank you in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:37 am • #  

Hello cwilson,

There is always a price or value for a reel and that value is normally what someone will pay for it, having said that most of us here feel that if the reel belonged to your father then it realy is priceless.

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 am • #  

Thank you for your input. I fully understand something is only worth what one is willing to pay. And yes, it is priceless having belonged to my father, but I now have a garage full of "priceless" reels. And since I do not fish, nor do my 3 daughters, I can only keep so many priceless items. Was just trying to gather some information as to is this old reel something someone would be interested in, or do I donate it to the Salvation Army. Any feedback in that regard would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:57 am • #  

Hi cwilson,

Just talking with another moderator who is better qualified than myself to sort out your reel for you.

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello cwilson and welcome to Mitchell Mates

Firstly, thank you for your kind words, it’s good to know that enjoy the forum.

Does your reel have a full bail? If so what I think you have is a 4th version reel from around 1951/52, it was 1955/56 before the number 300 was engraved on the cover plate but yours is effectively an early 300 if that makes sense.

Valuation is always hard, this boxed one could make 100 dollars or more but it may not.

Perhaps someone will contact you via the personal message system know that we know you have some for reels sale.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 pm • #  

mitchell pictures - sorry not very good ones!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 pm • #  

Hello cwilson! Welcome to the forum. I believe what you have is a 4th version (1951-1955) transition reel. By that I mean there were changes -transitions - being made when this reel was produced. Two major changes are the full bail and the plastic knob. I have one serial numbered B09582 which is a half bail with plastic knob with a light texture. Yours appears to be a smooth plastic knob which would be the first plastic knob used. During a transition period you will find many differences - for example, I have sn B46096 which has the same full bail but the earlier round aluminum knob. I also have sn B71217 with the smooth plastic knob and full bail NIB in mint condition. Both full bail and half bail reels will be found during this time. You may possibly have one of the first trial run, as it appears to be in a 3rd version box, ie, Mitchell only in the upper left portion on the top. Also being Fair Traded - which means it was made for export - from France. The schematic looks like a 1968 version and the Owners manual is consistant with the time frame. Further study of the reel and box needs to be made to fill in the blanks but these are the basics. The box and provenance would certainly add to the value in the open market. I paid $35 for mine in 2005. On eBay today I would say yours would bring between $65 - $100 maybe a bit more.. The tape on the box would hurt the total value of the package. If you use a hair dryer to warm the tape and try to remove it without tearing the paper it may be to your advantage. Yours is a desirable reel if a collector recongnizes the details and needs one for his collection. I would not hesitate to pay $65 for it as is. I'm glad you find the information here helpful, this is the best Mitchell site on the web.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:38 pm • #  

Thank you for the information. I have about 50 additional old Mitchell reels in boxes that I will be most likely inquiring information. This one just happened to be on top of the pile. I will list this on e-bay and see what happens. Again, this is a very informative site and I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Claudia

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply