Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Weird 300 questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 pm • #  

Reel 1 has a short throw crank arm that is spring loaded to swivel the handle around to make the reel wind. In the pics the reel on the left is the no SN reel. Note the difference in the plate under where the spool sits. There is no SN on the foot OR on the housing. I also have 2 spare spools for this reel, a small capacity and a large capacity. All 3 have 4 'webs' for the drag adjustment. I'm pretty sure that my dad got this reel in the 40's or 50's. Could this be a 'Franken' reel?? Any idea on the age of this reel?

Reels 2 and 3 are newer I think, SN's of A109505 and a mystery '4' and 'something or other' 873232 and a mystery '3' on the foot as shown. Note the difference in the plate under where the spool sits. These two are definately 1 alpha and 6 diget SN's On reel A109505 the anti-back 'skips' allowing it to wind backwards as opposed to holding the bail. I have 2 spare spools for these with 3 'webs' for the drag adjustment. Can anyone give me a clue as to MFG date/age on these two?

I know all 3 of these reels were bought before 1970 as they were used in the mid to late 60' by my dad and I perch fishing in Canada (from Michigan) numerous and several years before I joined the Army in 1969. SN (?)873232 went with me to California and saw duty on the resevoirs catching planted trout and came back to Michigan with me.

Any help helps!

Jim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Weird 300 questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm • #  

More pics - See initial post for info

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm • #  

Last image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Wow,
That's a lot for an old man to keep track of.
The baffle plates in your first pics are those commonly found on 6th version Mitchell 300s. These reels were made from 1958 thru 1967.

The baffle plates in your first pictures, also, are found on the 6th versions. The one on the left is a carry-over from the 5th versions.
Your first picture, also, show the older, short, spring loaded and the new twist knob handles which are both on 6th version 300s. The spring loaded was on the older model reels.

The sideplate in picture 4 is a 6th version sideplate.

If there is definately not a serial number on either the back, or the foot of the reel, then it could be a relacement. Mitchell 300 replacement bodies don't come with serial numbers.

Both of the spools you pictured can be found on 6th verions. The 4"web" knob is older.

Now, the mystery 4 and 3, I don't think anyone knows for sure what they stand for.

The alpha "A" and 6 digit seial number has me baffled if it is on a 6th version reel. Is the sideplate shown the one that is on the body with the A character? If it isn't add another pic of that sideplate.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm • #  

Quoting Ted,

Now, the mystery 4 and 3, I don't think anyone knows for sure what they stand for.

The alpha "A" and 6 digit seial number has me baffled if it is on a 6th version reel. Is the sideplate shown the one that is on the body with the A character? If it isn't add another pic of that sideplate.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Ted, Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it!!

The NSN side plate is the one pictured in my initial post.

Using a 10x loop I cannot make out the first character of the SN. The side plate shown here is of the alpha(???) and 6 digit SN of the 2nd reel. These 2 reels have the same anti-back levers The alpha and 6 digit SN shown in my initial post and the side plate and SN is from reel 2.

The various reels are named Reel 1, Reel 2 and Reel 3
Reel 1 - wedge anti-back lever - NSN
Reel 2 n 3 Straight anti-back lever - SN'd

About the obscured first character, it could be an 8 but the top right side of the thing is rounded and the left side is a definite 90 degree angle like the top left of a B, P or R.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:09 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Jim,
Both straight lever 300s look to be 7th version side plates. These were produced from around 68 to around 77.
If I have this straight, the reel with the alpha character may well have been produced, see the sites "Dating" link, in 71, and the other one , if it is 8873232 in 1969. That later baffle plate in your picture would be on both these reels.

Like I said before, my old brain doesn't keep track of things like it used to, so I hope I got all your questions straight.

By the way, these different versions have a lot of parts that are interchangeable, so things can get strange.

The dating on these different versions have been debated by different authorities, so if our dates are close to your experiences it wouldn't be unusual.

The a/r trouble could be either clogged up with grease, or some teeth missing from the a/r dog.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:37 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Jim,

I forgot to add that, I would cherish any fishing tackle that I shared with my father as a youngster. Sadly, sometimes we don't think of that till it's too late.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 pm • #  

Hi Ted, thanks again for the info.

Dad was a veritable curmudgeon and the only way to get along with him was to shut up and soldier <BG> otherwise you got a lickin' or were ignored. I'd really like to sell the reels and rods to someone who would use and care for them.

2 1960's vintage 6 1/2 foot Eagle Claw 4 piece pack rods with aluminum tubes and rod section sleeves. One tube has an aluminum screw-on cover but the ball chain retainer broken. 2nd tube has a plastic screw-on cover - ball chain retainer intact.

1 1980's vintage 6 1/2 foot Eagle Claw 4 piece pack rod with homemade plastic tube.

1 1980's vintage 7 1/2 foot Sportsman (brand name) 4574 4 piece spin/fly pack rod, medium action with homemade plastic tube.

Like I said I'd really like to see the reels and rods go to someone who would use and care for them. For me they were great learner outfits.

Best Ted!!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Jim,
My advice to you would be either list your tackle on eBay, or some other net site, like Facebook, to access a larger number of potential buyers. Of course, you can list it on the "Mitchell For Sale Or Wanted" link with good pictures and prices.
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply