Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 300 noise
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:30 pm • #  

Generally when operating a 300 should there be a clicking sound ? I have several reels and they all have this problem. I remember as a youth my dad had a second version that he used all the time and it ran smooth as silk with never a noise. The clicking is coming from the gears. I also feel it in the handle as im turning it.

Post subject: Re: 300 noise
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:43 pm • #  

If i add shims between the head and housing that will adjust how the pinion gears interacts with the gear on the head correct?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:04 pm • #  

It's hard to say without hearing the actual clicking, but there should be a clicking noise when the anti-reverse lever is in the up position, and the a/r is actuated. The noise can vary between reels though depending on the condition of the drive gear, the condition of the a/r dog and spring and what kind of grease is on the parts.

There is also a very distinct difference in the clicking noise made when the a/r is actuated, depending on whether the reel has an earlier version aluminum dog, or the later version plastic dog.

If this is the noise you are hearing this is normal. Is it possible that your dad had the a/r switched off on his reel ? Some people do.
Sometimes I will switch it off if I want to back drift and let more line out, instead of stripping by hand or opening the bail.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 pm • #  

Off or on it sounds the same. Its not the a/r. Its coming from the gears. I may just remove all the shims and start from scratch. Ive added some and removed some with no success. I feel that with the a/r off it should be silent and fluid when the head turns but it clicks alot and there is resistance.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:17 pm • #  

Mitchell1965,
As Mike 408 said its pretty tough to tell without actually examining the reel so the best we can do is offer suggestions on what we have seen in the past that were similar.

I have found that the cause of clicking when the rotating head is turning and the click occurs at the same place each time the head goes around, are caused by either a warped/bent baffle plate, or something the baffle plate contacts like the bail trip or its screw.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:18 pm • #  

Thank you Bill. I checked the baffle plate and related parts. Nothing there seems to be causing it. Seems like the gears inside the body are making the sound. Not sure if this is normal or if it should be silent when turning and turn much easier. I am now trying shims in different areas to see if maybe it was shimmed improperly. I can tell by the screw heads this reel has been disassembled in the past.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 am • #  

Those things that Bill mentioned can definitely cause a clicking noise but if yours seem fine, it's time to look elsewhere.
Getting a reel properly shimmed can take a little work but you have to figure that over the years, many of these reels have been disassembled and not put back together correctly or had parts replaced that don't always make a good match.

If the screws and area around them is mucked up, I figure that the person that was working on it didn't care enough to be careful and use the correct tool, and that tells me that the reel was probably put back together with the same lack of caring.

You mentioned all of your reels make the same sound, so that almost makes me think whatever the noise is you are hearing, is somewhat normal.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:48 pm • #  

I reshimmed one of my reels and it has quieted down. Still a slight noise but much better. It was the pinion gear and head gear not meshing correctly. Im going to check the rest of them. I have an early 3rd version half bail that is very quiet now. I guess it just takes alittle tinkering. Thanks everyone for your input. Every bit was valuable.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply