Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Unusual Mitchell 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm • #  

Mates,
Wanted to show a 300 I found recently with rather unusual features.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Unusual Mitchell 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 pm • #  

Mates,
This photo shows the three together.
In case there is any confusion about the shape of the Boomerang Anti-Reverse lever - Wallace tells us that they changed shape from the smooth (rounded) cut to the angled cut during the 6th version period 1958 - 1967.
Ok its a 7th version with a 6th version Anti-reverse lever.

Kind Regards,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:09 pm • #  

Hi Bill,

Well, that's a new one on me :sFun_shocked: . One of the assemblers must have found that A/R lever on the floor in a dusty corner of the shop! Nothing goes to waste at Mitchell :sFun_rofl: :sFun_rofl:. Great catch on that find :tup

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 pm • #  

Chris,
This one is a bit tricky. Check out the cover plate on the sixth and seventh versions. It looks to me like the cover plate from the odd reel is from a 6th version and the engraving is from a 7th version. :rollin :sSW_stormtrooper:

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:42 pm • #  

Hi Bill,
Interesting reel and cover plate. I'm a bit rusty but on the first pic, does the Boomerang Anti-Reverse lever look upside down??
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:22 am • #  

Dennis2149,
Yes, I can see what you mean but its just the photograph. Here is a closer shot with the handle removed.
By the way can you see those ugly scratches that have appeared! I just about freaked out but guess what those are hairs. :sFun_rofl:

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:26 am • #  

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the additional pic of the interesting cover plate. You have something special there. Never know what one can find out there. Thanks again, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:53 pm • #  

You never know, stranger things than a part (A/R lever) that was supposed to be updated three years prior, was used, as Chris Shannon states. That said, I lean more toward the face plate was produced during (1968 or so) the cross-over period of new style engraving and new A/R lever, and placed on this reel later.

From MRM Dating Page:
Seventh Version:
1968 – SN 7959216 to 8570524
1969 – SN 8603501 to 9244733
1970 – SN 9295633 to 9963012

The 7th version main determining factor was that the anti-reverse lever has changed to a straight lever. The “3-0-0” is now enlarged with the dashes omitted making it “300” on both the Garcia and European release of this version. On very early 7th versions for a very short period of time; you will find a straight A/R lever on cover plates with the 3-0-0 still being engraved.

While I've not seen this before, it's not surprising if the reciprocal is true, "On very early 7th versions for a very short period of time, you will find a straight A/R lever on cover plates with the 3-0-0 still being engraved."

Either way, the face plate is an unusual find.

I'll add on more interesting piece of info and thought. My records indicate that all UL (308, 408, etc) reels did not change to the new (non-dashed) model number engraving until 1971. While that info, if applied to 300 models, and your reel in specific, would align with your face plate being original to your reel body (and an old A/R used), it could also call into question that the A/R lever change may not of happened until 1971, to which I have no info on this model. I would think if enough of us checked the serial numbers on our later 6th and 7th versions, we could nail down the A/R lever and model number engraving change timing. Maybe it wasn't until closer to the end of the 6th version (1970-71)?

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:57 am • #  

Sandman,
Thanks for your comments. I have to admit that when I first saw the odd ball cover plate (CP) in question I thought someone had taken a 6th version anti-reverse (A/R) lever and put it on a 7th version CP. :blush
After studying the odd ball CP I went back and took a closer look at a 6th version CP. I realized that the 6th version CP had a raised reinforced area that ran across the plate and ended just short of the A/R lever. The raised area I believe is a kind of reinforcement for the pinion gear and the transfer gear mounting posts. If you look closely you can see where their holes penetrate the raised area. The raised area also served as the stop for the A/R lever as it moves from on to off.
:sCo_hmmthink:
Attachment:
033-edited-1.jpg

I then took a look at one of my 7th version CPs. I noticed that while there is still a raised area, it has been redesigned. The new design runs across the CP and does not end until it included the hole where the new A/R lever mounts. It also has two knobs molded into the casting that serve as the stops for the new 7th version lever. The forward end (closest to the rotating head) has also been widened from the 6th version design.
:sHa_rollingsmilie:
Attachment:
057-edited-2.jpg

Therefore, I believe that you cannot use a 6th version A/R lever on a 7th version CP and vice versa. The part geometry prevents it. I would also like to point out that another change that was made, for the 7th version, besides the shape of the A/R lever and the changes in the 300 engraving, was a new cover plate design.
Attachment:
048-edited.jpg

I am in agreement with you that this was an older CP that was not used up and they took and simply placed the new style engraving on it.
Kind Regards,

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply