Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: No response to an answer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm • #  

Hello,
I wonder if I should continue to try to answer some of the questions asked by some members of this forum or to answer only former regulars of this one.
I have tried to answer two questions on 304 Mitchell and the other on Mitchell Excellence, the first on October 2, 2019 and the other on October 11, 2019.
To this day I am the last to have written, I do not know, if what I indicated was useful or not, why?
Too bad, but now I will refrain from any participation in this type of discussion, answering only the questions of "old" regulars who at least have the courtesy to answer.
I may be considered an old grumpy, but I'm from a generation where politeness was taught
Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

I understand your frustration. Many of us "Regulars" and especially Ted answer questions, often after research and providing photos - like you do. All too frequently those responses go without acknowledgement or just a simple "Thanks for the information". I have occasionally received a PM from the new member who had the question - but it's not often. Many times I think they're just looking for information on a item so they can turn it around and sell it on eBay, so how they receive the information means little to them.

I also look at it another way too. This site is known around the world as the authority on all things Mitchell where people can come and research all of our contributions or ask a question - and get an answer. I guess my concern is; If they don't come here, what happens to the MRM? I think "Traffic" has a great deal to do with keeping this site open. The regular contributions of the 15 of us who routinely participate are the main reason I come here - for the friendship and camaraderie (sure we have our disagreements, but what family doesn't) and sharing of information, new finds, etc. Hopefully, that may encourage the new Mitchell Enthusiast or Future Collector to want to be a part of us and participate too (It did for me when I was starting out).

Unfortunately, we live in an all too often, impolite and self centered society. :sFun_oldguy: . I relinquish my "soap box" to the next Gentleman/Gentlelady. :sSig_thankyou:

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:10 am • #  

Laroupane,

I'm not sure if you were referring to me regarding the Excellence reel question. If so, I did answered you and even thanked you. But you still bring up an excellent point.

I was considering buying an Excellence 300 on eBay and needed a quick opinion. I posted my question, checked for response later that day and the following two days and there was no response to my question, even after one of the administrators said he was hoping someone could help. The reel sold and there was no point is checking for a response again.

With other forums I belong to there is an email notification when someone does respond to your post. Maybe this is an option on this forum but I haven't located it or been informed how to activate it. So, verifying a response to a post here is totally a hit or miss proposition. Looks like you and I missed by one day. I'm not sure why that would warrant this topic.

More important is this classification of regular vs. non-regular. Even though I'm not a regular, the timeliness of a response should work both ways. I've been on this forum asking questions only a few times and responses have been poor, even after weeks or months. Now I think understand this better since I'm clearly in the category of a non-regular.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:16 am • #  
Global Moderator

Komta,
I believe that the mates have always responded to questions where they thought they either had an answer, or had something else to contribute regardless of who ask the question. Although, there may be some delay due to the complexity of the question, and the timeframe. For instance, it's not a good time to ask a question on a weekend.

I know that many times I have answered questions that could have easily been answered by just looking a bit deeper into what the museum has to offer, but I felt compelled to, anyway.

That wasn't the case with your 300 excellence question. I think that question was a tough one because most of us don't have any experience with the later model Mitchells. I'm sure you used the same resources that I would have had to us to find the little that you did on this reel, so there wouldn't have been any point in me adding a pointless rely.
I'm sure it was the same case with many of the other mates, too.

Christian was able to give you some factory information, and you did thank him for that, but his reply about his use of that reel deserved the same courtesy.
Just my humble opinion!

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 am • #  

Hello Ted and Komta

Just a chronological reminder of messages
Komta: request the "Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:26 pm"
Laroupane: answer on "Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:49 am"
Laroupane on the current page: "Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm"
Komta: thanks on the page "Excellence" on "Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:26 pm", after my message on the current page, question to which I replied again "Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:34 pm ", three days before the last Komta message on the current page
That's all I have to say to close my participation in this discussion on this topic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 pm • #  

Komta wrote:
More important is this classification of regular vs. non-regular. Even though I'm not a regular, the timeliness of a response should work both ways. I've been on this forum asking questions only a few times and responses have been poor, even after weeks or months. Now I think understand this better since I'm clearly in the category of a non-regular.

Hello Komta,
I'm sure there is no offense intended with regard to a "regular" or "non-regular". I think what Christian (Lauropane) was referring to is someone who "regularly" contributes to the MRM, is known by their actual name, and has a direct interest in the success of this site as a valuable reference to the Mitchell collecting/enthusiast community. That is not to classify "non-regulars" as lesser beings but if we all want to make this a better and more informative forum, we should all be "regulars". Most of us have little collector interest / experience in the later (non France) Mitchells....So become a "regular" and educate us please.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 pm • #  

re: notification of a reply to post

Hey Komta and Mates,

I'm just trying to help out here.

Komta, you wrote:
Quote:
With other forums I belong to there is an email notification when someone does respond to your post. Maybe this is an option on this forum but I haven't located it or been informed how to activate it. So, verifying a response to a post here is totally a hit or miss proposition...

When you post, just check the box, as in the screen capture below.

When looking for notification the first time - just in case, check your spam email box (no offense to MRM intended here - it's just how some email filters work) and, if there, assign MRM source to your inbox.

Warm regards to all,
Live long and prosper,

John

Attachment:
notification.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply