Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Best Mitchell ever??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:32 am • #  

OK- as we say over the other side of the Pond, time to put your money where your mouth is.....

Which is the best Mitchell ever? And Why??

I'll start- Mitchell 440A- perfect for a Match Angler- auto bail and quick retrieve.

Chris, Bristol UK

Post subject: Re: Best Mitchell ever??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm • #  

Well for me it's a 204 -308, fish the 204 most. I fish mostly 1 - 5Lb trout. These reels match well with my rods, I make 4 1/2' to 5' ultra light and ultra ultra light rods for them.
Making this lot over the winter (saving the one on top for a friend).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:52 pm • #  

Hi Bristol Chris,

Great question! Sitting here in my reel room with over 400 Mitchells of all different Models, Versions, Styles, Markings etc., that requires some deep thought :sCo_hmmthink:. Mitchell made so many very fine fishing reels!

So my vote has to go to the very early Mitchell Full Bail (300/301) in the "C" serial number range, 1951-52, 4th Version.

Attachment:
Best of Mitchell.jpg

I have over 100 Mitchells (300/301) from early 2nd Version to the 8th Version (last of the engraved Mitchell 300s) and there just seems to be a "Sweet Spot" in the 1951/52's that the smoothness, fit, finish and overall fishability seems to stand out to me out of them all.
While I only have a few of the 51/52 Mitchells they all have the above characteristics, it's my reel of choice if I'm going to fish a mid-size egg body Mitchell.

Kind Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm • #  

Hi Chris, I think your absolutely right ,some of those early Mitchell's were so smooth it was almost as if they had a few bearings in them instead of bushings .I don't know offhand what it as but I would like to delve into it a little deeper and check for any differences in them and some of the later models that weren't quite as smooth. When time permits I hope to get around to it. If I come up with anything concrete I'll be sure to post it. Good to be back , and hope it remains for a long time to come. Best regards , John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
Being a fan of the Mitchell Egg-Shaped Reels, I have to agree with Chris S. and John from PA. Those 4th version Mitchell (300)'s are smooth and sound. When I first started collecting Mitchell Reels, I picked up a 4th version that needed a deep clean and I was rewarded with a fine reel with a nylon transfer gear to boot. Still one of my favorite reels. Best ever??? Well maybe???
Best regards, Dennis2149

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply