Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:12 pm • #  

Hello,
Trying to stir up a new topic. Since Mitchell has been a favorite for years I'm proposing any advertisement or pictures that depict Mitchell Reels should be displayed. NO major magazine articles unless they include seldom seen Mitchell Reels. Hope this is interesting.....
Kim :sCo_hmmthink: :sHa_rollingsmilie: :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 pm • #  

Hi Kim,

This is my earliest Mitchell advertisement from 1949.
Attachment:
1949 Mitchell Ad.jpg

I have a fairly large collection of early advertising, some framed and displayed in the Reel Room and others in sleeves in a large binder. Happy to add some others and interested in seeing what other Mates have in their collection.

Kind Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
Here's one of my favorites:
Attachment:
Austrailian Ad.jpg

This one is from "Australia Outdoors" Magazine and dates to the late 1950's. I think it's interesting because it features all left hand Mitchells - I've never seen anything like it. This one is framed and hanging in the Reel Room, hence the slight glare in the photo.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:22 pm • #  

piscesman wrote:
Hello,
Trying to stir up a new topic. Since Mitchell has been a favorite for years I'm proposing any advertisement or pictures that depict Mitchell Reels should be displayed. NO major magazine articles unless they include seldom seen Mitchell Reels. Hope this is interesting.....
Kim :sCo_hmmthink: :sHa_rollingsmilie: :sCh_fisherman:

Kim, not quite sure exactly what to post. Would this include Garcia advertisements? Only ads of reels or other accessories such as spools? Only photographs or are renderings of Mitchell reels that Garcia used so frequently OK? Are catalogue images suitable? There were so many different types in the U.S. its hard to know where to start.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:11 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here are a couple of other items that I came up with.

This is part of some type of packaging with a Mid-Late 1970s Garcia Mitchell 300 on it. The picture of the reel is on a thin film embossed on an aluminum foil type of material.
Attachment:
GM 300 on Aluminum.jpg

Attachment:
GM 300 on Aluminum 1.jpg

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the origins or history behind this piece but it does not look like anything that Mitchell or Garcia used in their promotions or advertising. Just an "odd ball" piece that I collected somewhere along the way. If anyone has any ideas, I would be very interested.

This last piece is from the Stoeger Arms Corp, Long Island City, NY.
Attachment:
Stoeger Arms Ad 1954.jpg

It's their advertisement from 1954 and shows the Mitchell (2nd Version Half Bail), the Mitchell Salt Water (with the infamous "2 screw" faceplate) and the CAP (with the A/R lever in the wrong position). Just thought I'd share a couple of items (hopefully of interest) with the Group.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:27 pm • #  

Kim,
Here's one I think the Mates might find interesting. It is from the Garcia Fishing Magazine, 1978 Issue, Volume 17.
Attachment:
1978 300A Ad-edited2.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a Garcia 300A second version like this one? :rollin

Note the text I have selected with red!
Kind Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 am • #  

Bill, this advertisement denotes the beginning of the “badged” vs engraved era reels. Engraving was no longer done from 1978 on...there was a transition from engraved to badged during 1977-78 where they used up parts. You can find reels, though somewhat rare, with engraved bodies with heads with the double silver foil band.

Is this what you are referring to as the second version 300A?

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:50 pm • #  

Sandman,
Sorry, my earlier post was hard to see. I was trying to get the whole double paged add in and unfortunately, it made it hard to see the details of what I was trying to show. :sFun_bricks:

Kind Regards, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year, to all the Mates!
Bill :tup
Attachment:
GM 300A Double Silver Band Post-edited.jpg

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply