Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2019 Mitchell Finds
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:21 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Happy 2020! Over the years I've posted the request to see your favorite addition to your collection during the previous year so once again...…

Please post a photo or two of your favorite addition to your collection regardless of how large / small, be it a Mitchell reel, advertising, or Mitchell item. An explanation of how / why it's special to you would also be appreciated.

Hoping your 2020 brings you all good health, time with friends/family and much happiness - especially that which a "special" Mitchell brings to you.

I'll go:

This is my 1st Issue 308X Red Script Box. My favorite of 2019.
Attachment:
308X.jpg

Attachment:
308X 1.jpg

Attachment:
308X 2.jpg

Most know I'm a Mitchell "Round Body" guy and I have added several this year that are very hard - impossible to find but I've only seen one or two of these in the X Box - especially the red script box!. My collection only had a few of these beautiful little reels but thanks primarily to the education provided by Chris Sandberg (Sandman), I now have over 40 ultra-lite Mitchells on display in the Reel Room - Great reels....Thanks Sandman. :sSig_youtheman: There are several very close "Runner Ups" but this has to be my favorite for 2019.

Please share your "Best of 2019" for all the Mates to enjoy and appreciate...… Looking forward to 2020!

Kind Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 2019 Mitchell Finds
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:34 am • #  

Happy 2020!!!
When I bought this 308 for $5.00, I had something special in mind. To restore it for my daughter, and finish it with her favorite color purple. And build a UL rod to match. I'm working on the rod, only to find the reels foot is to long and wide. I'll take it down to fit and repaint it. The color of the rod and reel are a perfect match.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 am • #  

A work in progress.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:49 pm • #  

Chris,
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you. Happy Holidays to all the Mates.

After searching for several years I finally found this Garcia Mitchell 300C third version in 2019. With serial number G171206 (1977), it is in the best condition of any I have been able to find so far, and I was delighted to get it.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup
Attachment:
Mitchell 300C-edited.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 pm • #  

Thanks Don and Bill,

Don,
A great job bringing that old 308 back to life - what a great gift to your Daughter in her favorite color. Hopefully with minor trimming and a touch up, it will be back on the water making memories with her.

Bill,
Great catch!! Those 3rd Version 300C's are hard to find - especially in that condition - looks almost Mint. Awesome addition to your collection. Congratulations!

Thank you both for sharing with us.

Regards,
CHris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:42 am • #  

Like many others, I grew up with a few Zebcos and off brand spinners. On rare occasions, I was privileged to use my father's Mitchell 300. Smooth, sexy, had to have one. When I had some money and saw one, I grabbed a Mitchell 300A, brand new. Nearly the same feel and I was in heaven.

In 2017, my father gave me all of his equipment and said that he was probably done fishing (he's now 93.) Of course, he's free to use his reel anytime he wants. I started thinking that the old reel could use a clean-up and lube, later.

This May, I came upon a Mitchell 308 at a sale for $1. Locked tight, but I decided to take a chance. Actually, I got it for free because I put together a piece of furniture that the women running the sale couldn't figure out. The usual story, a little cleaning and some oil had her purring again. I spooled her up and went fishing. A sweet little thing that I loved every minute of using it. It needed a more thorough going over, so I started looking for information and found this place!

I didn't have a collection until that 308. Next I tripped over a 306. Then a 302, a 330, a couple spare spools, a Frankenstein-ed 300. Where does it end. I need to slow down while there's still green in my pocket!

But the 308 is my favorite this year!

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:39 pm • #  

Hi jr.evansii, Let me be the first to tell you a secret, It never stops ,it keeps sucking you in deeper and deeper until tou cant eat or sleep and you wind up a babbling fool perusing e bay till all hours of the night searching for what you think is the Holy Grail.Then you see it as a BIN only to find out that your out of disposal income at the moment. That's the only time it stops when the well runs dry. Sounds like you've become one of them.John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:48 pm • #  

Chris, thank you, but you give me far too much credit for your UL addiction... :sHa_yes:

Mates, thank you for the reel postings...I really enjoy the reels and most of all the stories behind them.

For me, my best finds of 2019 were the lowest serial numbers known to date of the 308 (003187) and 408 (235386) reels. To top it off, they are both in exceptional condition.

To a prosperous Mitchell year for all,

Cheers,
Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:09 pm • #  

J and Sandman,

Great additions to your collections! Congratulations. The background stories enhance the photos and our experience. Sandman, those two are treasures and in just fantastic condition.....WOW!

Mates, It's looking like it was a banner year for adding Mitchell Ultra-Lites to most of our collections!

I have to agree with John in Pa...…...I don't even know what happened but I grew a Reel Room. :sHa_yes:.....and I just bought my first Mitchell for 2020 :sFi_flamethrower: !!

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply