Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Early intermediates
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:05 pm • #  

Mates, just showing some pics of some Garcia stickered intermediates...while these reels don't seem to be highly popular, in true early Mitchell form, they are very well engineered and produced...it's not common to find these early versions with stickers intact, particularly in near mint condition, and especially in the 307 version...

Sandman

Post subject: Re: Early intermediates
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:04 pm • #  

Sandman,
Now there's another Mitchell Mystery! Why on earth would they need to place the sticker upside down on the 307 model? :sAng_banghead2: :sCo_hmmthink:

Thanks for posting, interesting to see these models.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Sandman,

Very nice reels ,very popular in the Netherlands in the sixties .
I have a few Combi,s as they call them over here .
An underrated Mitchell reel !
Very versatile in use .

regards

Dries

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 am • #  

Dear Sandman,

Very impressive. Thanks for showing.

JF.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm • #  

Thanks Mates, for the comments on the "Combi's"...

Bill brings up a topic that has been discussed before, but I think it remains a mystery. Why were stickers installed upside down on some reels? Which reels did this occur on? 301, 303, 305, 307, 315, 331?

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:04 pm • #  

Sandman,
Not that I doubt your word but I have never seen a Mitchell 301 with an upside down Garcia sticker.
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm • #  

Hey Bill, not sure I have either...I can't remember the reels I've seen this way, which is why I placed a question mark after the model numbers...hoping the mates will post photos of their upside down sticker reels.

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 pm • #  

Hello Sandman and Bill,

Sandman, Very nice collection of intermediate reels - I especially like the MIB 306 in the Script Box....Great find :tup .

I don't mean to misdirect your post but since you and Bill were wondering, here are a few of my Mitchells with an upside-down Garcia sticker.
This is in my opinion (Stress MY opinion) one of the "rarest" of all of the Mitchells. A left hand Mitchell with the black / silver "a Garcia product" sticker.
Attachment:
Upsidedown Garcia Sticker.jpg

I've only ever seen two and I have both of them.
This one is a little more common but still hard to find with the yellow / black "a Garcia product" sticker.
Attachment:
Upsidedown Garcia Sticker 1.jpg

This Mitchell is very hard to find as well with the "a Garcia product" sticker which is commonly associated with the 304/305.
Attachment:
Upsidedown Garcia Sticker 6.jpg

I've only ever seen two of these as well - both are MIB and both are in my collection. I have a number of 304/305 with the stickers upside-down and a 302 as well. I don't think this was a common occurrence but I can't explain it and likely wouldn't even if I could.

Hope this helps with the mystery. Or if nothing else, you enjoyed seeing them. :sHa_okay:

Kind Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:46 pm • #  

Chris, I do enjoy seeing them, and I was hoping the post would turn toward these stickers, though I should of started a separate topic...anyway, as you note, they are all rare reels due to the stickers, but the Black and Silver is exceedingly rare...great to see...

It's easy to surmise why these stickers are upside down, one just has to assume they didn't make these stickers in left hand versions and due to the arched shape they fit more naturally upside down. The exception being the 304 sticker on the 300 reel, which would more likely be they just ran out of 300 stickers. But neither explains the symmetrical oval shaped sticker being upside down on the 307 or 301, or others? Seems like they could have just placed it on right side up? Is the 305 sticker upside down?

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

I agree that there is no logical explanation for placing the Garcia Oval sticker upside-down on that 307 - Maybe just the way it was laying on the bench when the "sticker person" from Garcia came around to apply the stickers?? :sFun_oldguy: I have several reels with the oval "a Garcia product" sticker on them (300, 302, 303 and 306) but I've never seen one upside-down like that.
With regard to the early CAPs, it appears that all of the stickers were printed one way only and all were applied in what we (or at least I) would consider upside-down. Here are two very early CAPs in original boxes (First of the red (left hand) and blue (right hand) boxes) early 1953. (And just to be clear - I'm NOT arguing this with anyone.) Both stickers are printed the same and applied upside-down. I have a number of examples of this from the next several years.
Attachment:
Upsidedown CAPs 0.jpg

Then in 1956, they finally got it right on the CAP/Mitchell 304.
Attachment:
Upsidedown CAPs 1.jpg

By 1958, these are the first examples of the correct placement on a CAP/Mitchell 314 and 315 that I have.
Attachment:
Upsidedown CAPs 2.jpg

This may have occurred slightly earlier but I don't have any examples that I can provide inconclusively. I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:40 am • #  

Hi Guys,

Here's a 301 with the upside down oval sticker. Not a great example, but the only one I have ever found:
Attachment:
301 1269363 .25.JPG

George

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:48 am • #  

Speaking of the 304/305's and 314/315's:

Could the stickers have originally been designed before Mitchell started engraving the reels, to go at the bottom? Or, might they have been designed to go at the bottom and cover up the engraving?

J.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am • #  

And later decided that they couldn't/wouldn't cover the engraving.

J.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:29 pm • #  

Dear J.

What you suggest makes a lot of sense : the stickers were meant to go at the bottom of the cover plate. I don't think that Carpano would have allowed Garcia to stick a label over "Mitchell".

Do we know whether the stickers were applied in France or the US? Presumably the latter.

Regards,

JF.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:38 pm • #  

Mates,
What a remarkable post this has turned into. :sSig_nicethread:

Chris, thank you so much for posting these spectacular photos. I don't know of anywhere else you can go to see these extremely rare right hand wind reels. Your collection is probably one of the best in the world and such a delight to see. :clap

Sandman, thanks for another great post. :sSig_thankyou:

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:23 am • #  

I agree that this is a super topic : thanks Sandman.

As a UK collector I don't get to see many Garcia labels.

I was surprised to see 2 reels described as early 1953, but clearly labelled for display as 1954. I must be missing something.

JF.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 am • #  

Ya know Mates,

I've truly enjoyed sharing my Mitchell collection, new additions, observations and opinions with you over the years. Due to the many contributions and vast knowledge gracefully shared here, my opinions have changed as I learned so much from your observations and opinions - our shared questions. But what I have posted here were my new additions, my observations and my opinions and I have made every attempt to state just that. I've also tried to remain unbiased and cordial (admittedly, there were times that I failed) but I've had enough. When I have to scrutinize my own thoughts prior to posting so as to avoid personal criticism from only a couple people, it's no longer fun or pleasurable. I've tried to ignore it but I'm done! I'm perfectly happy to sit here in my Reel Room with my collection and thoughts.... and that's what I'm going to do. I'll stop by in the Forums from time to time and if you have a question, PM or email me - I'll always be happy to share what I think or know with you.

Rolands, Tinca, Jeremy Fischer...Whatever,
I couldn't possibly live with myself if you were "missing something" so I'll clarify: Those are my reels, that's my handwriting on the tags and I've had those reels for a number of years. During those years my knowledge has increased and based on my observations, other's contributions here and some research, my opinions have evolved. My most humble apologies for not updating every tag on every reel that I display - there's only 400 of them. You see, unlike you I allow the reels and opinions/observations of others guide my conclusions/determinations, unlike you who has an agenda and fabricate "facts", cherry-pick others work to drive your "Expert" determinations....and then continue to preach those "Expert" determinations ad nauseum. A while ago, you had hurt feelings and stated that you no longer would comment on any post I made (I was good with that by the way) and yet here you are again? You must have a short memory or are a hypocrite - likely both. I hope this clarifies my position due to my mistake in not updating a tag on a reel - Are you missing anything else?

Thank you Mates for all of your help and sharing your wonderful collections, astute observations and valued opinions. I've had enough - I'm done with this.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:26 pm • #  

To Chris Shannon,

I regard what you have posted as ill-considered and defamatory, but I have no intention of engaging in an argument with you.

I would just point out that Wallace Carney has generally been the first person to be made aware as new facts have come to light. If he was at all concerned about what has been made available on this Forum, he could have put a stop to it at any time. It is to his credit that he has allowed free discussion.

You have insulted not only me, but also those other collectors who have been involved in this research; some of whom are senior and prominent members of this board.

I have in the past offered to engage with you privately and that offer still stands.

I see no reason why you should not continue contributing to this Forum.

Regards,

JF. (Rolands Babulis).

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:48 am • #  

A French couple who are not controversial about stickers !

Attachment:
306307.jpg

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 am • #  

Bonjour Christian,

I am assuming that the photos in your post are reels that were marked for sale to customers in France and possibly Belgium. This should make them rare to a collector here in North America. These are lovely reels. Just having the different decals and stickers makes an additional piece to a collector.

Just finding Mitchell reels here in Nova Scotia to use for fishing can be a bit of a challenge. I am not collecting to display and am not too fussy about condition. Some have been made up from parts. I would love to see some collections of those in this forum that are more museum quality, new condition.

For my part, I have 5 or so 300 reels, a 304 and a 308. All used for fishing. I do not use any other type.

Best wishes to all

G.Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply