Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:16 pm • #  

If you were in a situation where you could only have one Mitchell reel for all types of fishing, both fresh and salt water, which reel would you choose? Why? Make your case!! Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 am • #  

Dan,
While when fishing mainly trout freshwater I use either 204 or 308. Saltwater I fish NJ inlets, mainly flounder. With that being said reel weight would be a factor. So I'd say a 300 caught some pretty nice flounder on it.
Don

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:01 pm • #  

I agree with Don, a 300 is probably the most versatile.

I would go for a 300S, I believe the S is for Saltwater and that this reel has a better finish than a standard 300. From some of his postings, Don is very careful to dismantle and clean his reels after using them in salt water. He also refinishes some reels, and uses Corrosion Block Grease to deter corrosion.

Living in Nova Scotia, I have seen a lot of Mitchell Reels that have had serious corrosion issues on the case and rotor for aluminum, as well as the chrome plated steel bail. This is from people using them for Salt water fishing.

Mitchell 300 reels used in fresh water last and last, but it all changes in salt water. The 300 can handle large fish, Richard Walker's long standing British Carp Record of more than 40 pounds was caught with a 300.

Glen Simpson
:sCh_fisherman:

:sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:29 pm • #  

Model 300, no question.

Put 2# line on a small capacity spool and an ultra-light rod for light fishing. Change the spool and rod. 15# or 20# line on a large capacity spool and a medium or heavier rod for larger fresh or saltwater fish. The 300 will run the gamut.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:20 am • #  

I agree with Bonaventure - the 300S is a great reel. The anti reverse system of the 300S is much stronger than the regular Black plastic system of the 300. The feature I like best is that the 300S has a silent, strong, metal anti reverse dog like that of the 300A series reels. By the way - the S on the 300S does not stand for saltwater - it stands for Skirted Spool. It’s a terrific reel to fish with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 am • #  

Guess I got that wrong. I have never actually seen a 300S. I did once own a Mitchell 900, which was basically a high speed 300 with a skirted spool.

Good reel that got lost in my travels. I still stand by the 300 finish not being up to Salt Water use. This is a general statement which may have been corrected by Mitchell improving the paint later in the series life.

Glen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 pm • #  

Hi Dan,

While I've fished my early 1970s GM 304 all over the world in both fresh and salt water with no problems - Some fish stressed it :sCh_fisherman: ! I would have to go with the Mitchell 350. The high speed retrieve for top-water lures or a slow retrieve for some of the bottom fish. In my opinion only, more versatile than the 300 but just as durable and reliable. Decent drag system, quick change spools and the high speed retrieve for lure action or getting a fish to the bank/boat. Thought provoking question :tup

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 am • #  

As many of you, I have the whole range of Mitchell classic spinning reels and have fished with a good sample of them. I know many of them are quite versatile. With the 300, I have caught Pacific Bonito, striped bass, panfish of many types, and did surfcasting in the west coast Pacific. I always felt in some cases I was under gunned. I wasn't real comfortable. When I used the first or earliest versions of the 306, I felt the reel was heavy enough for many of these situations, yet was light enough also to use for smaller fish. It had a larger spool for longer casts in the surf, yet could also be comfortable to use on trout, bass, or other panfish. This reel helped me along the way to appreciate the 406 even more with the better finish, and bearings inside. When I am fishing for stripers, salmon, or steelhead, or sufcasting, I am adequately prepared, but still can fish for smaller species. I am not sure the 406 ever became quite as small or light as the earlier 306's. A good selection of rods for the reel would help out, for various types of fishing. Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:35 pm • #  

I have fished a 1954 Mitchell 300 for 40 years in salt and fresh water in NJ Manasquan inlet I had a boat at Clarks Landing Marina and fished all through that area for Fluke and what ever was there. I never had a problem with reel,AS long as you wash down with fresh water and use reelx.I hope this helps you out.I am a collecter of vintage reels and have several Mitchells and use them to fish not just put on a shelf and look at,I work my reels and they treat me well as long as you take care of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:24 pm • #  

Hi Larry, I fish mostly for trout ,bass, and shad when they come up the Delaware in spring. I usually use a 308 for trout, but I use a 900 & a 400 roller bearing for bass & shad. I think the 900 is much smoother than a 300 and with the aluminum spool with the stacked washers it has a better drag. I also like where the anti reverse is located on the 900. I guess if I had to pick one it would be the 900 but with lite line for trout. Best regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:04 am • #  

Larry,
I fish Manasquan Inlet, and Shark river (Fluke), I live in Philadelphia, PA. So I only get down 4 -6 times a month.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:17 am • #  

My previous post may lead us to believe that I do not like the 300 model. Not true, it is the reel that I use the most. I just don't think they are for Salt Water. I would like to find a 302, but they are rare here. I will probably buy a new Penn reel for Ocean fishing, the pandemic is playing havoc with that this year.

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:33 am • #  

Well, now I have seen a 300S, two in fact. A couple of guys at work each brought one in and showed them to me. About a month apart.

Glen in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply