Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: It's starting again...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:12 am • #  

It has been awhile since I posted here because I've been dealing
with health issues. I've been in and out of the hospital for the last year or so and haven't been doing anything that I normally enjoy.
Earlier I thought about not spending time on this forum and not spending time working on reels, so I decided to log in and see what has been going on here...

A couple weeks ago I started feeling a little better and got the urge to pick up a new reel or two, so off I went to the big auction site. My first purchase was a dirty 300C, but after spending a lot of time looking at the pictures, I could tell this reel would clean up very nicely. Well, the reel arrived but it wasn't a 300C, it was a very dirty but incredibly smooth 300...

I contacted the seller and he apologized for sending the wrong reel and I told him if he would make a deal, I would gladly keep the 300 but wanted the 300C as well. He was very fair and I ended up only paying $6.00 for the 300, and he sent the 300C out yesterday, and it should arrive tomorrow...
Sooo, last night I disassembled the 300 and gave it a thorough cleaning and was very happy with what I found. This reel had obviously never been used. All of the internal pieces are absolutely perfect, and it was still packed with the original grease, and there isn't a single scratch on any of the parts.
I haven't dated it yet but I think it is 1968 or 69...

I have several but can't wait to get the 300C, and now I am also waiting for what looks to be equally dirty but very nice 400 and 410.
The bails look perfect on both the 400 and the 410, and both
still have the red bumpers on them which I was very happy to see.

So now it starts all over again. I started out just wanting one or two new reels to play with and add to the collection, and a couple days later I have four coming, and I have about 20 more on my watch list LOL...
It really felt good bringing another old Mitchell back to life again,
and it was fun cruising the forum again, and seeing what others have been up to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:50 am • #  

Hi Mike 408, Glad to hear your feeling better and out of the hospital and doing better . The problem is you cleared up one health issue but you re contracted one that was dormant while you were in the hospital , "Mitchellitis" aibeit the better one to have. I don't know which one cuts into your finances more , the hospital bills or the e bay payments. Maybe you can get your doctor to presribe working on Mitchells as therapy for your dexterity and claim it on your taxes. All kidding aside I hope 2021 is a better year for you and all the Mates all around the globe . Follow the guidelines and stay safe. Best regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm • #  

Hello Mike 408, glad you're back in action working on our favored old Mitchell's. There's no cure for the mentioned "Mitchellitis". I haven't been posting much on the site lately. That may change. I picked-up another old Dealer Kit and inside were some interesting old finds to include (2) Mitchell 310 UL's that needed some love. I had some needed parts and ordered some others and now have two nice working UL's along with some additional hard to find vintage reel parts. When I get done cleaning and organizing, I'll post some pics. Lets all stay safe and beat back this pandemic.
Best regards to all, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm • #  

Oscillator1 wrote:
Hi Mike 408, Glad to hear your feeling better and out of the hospital and doing better . The problem is you cleared up one health issue but you re contracted one that was dormant while you were in the hospital , "Mitchellitis" aibeit the better one to have. I don't know which one cuts into your finances more , the hospital bills or the e bay payments. Maybe you can get your doctor to presribe working on Mitchells as therapy for your dexterity and claim it on your taxes. All kidding aside I hope 2021 is a better year for you and all the Mates all around the globe . Follow the guidelines and stay safe. Best regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

Hi John. Thank you. The Mitchell problem was definitely a preexisting condition. I like the idea of being able to take
the reels off on my taxes :sHa_biggrin: ...
The only plus side to the medical expenses is that I have really good insurance, but I haven't been able to find any insurance for the old reels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 pm • #  

Dennis2149 wrote:
Hello Mike 408, glad you're back in action working on our favored old Mitchell's. There's no cure for the mentioned "Mitchellitis". I haven't been posting much on the site lately. That may change. I picked-up another old Dealer Kit and inside were some interesting old finds to include (2) Mitchell 310 UL's that needed some love. I had some needed parts and ordered some others and now have two nice working UL's along with some additional hard to find vintage reel parts. When I get done cleaning and organizing, I'll post some pics. Lets all stay safe and beat back this pandemic.
Best regards to all, Dennis2149

Hi Dennis. Thank you. It does feel good to be working on them
again. Congratulations on your find. It sounds great and now you have two good 310's to add to your collection. That's always a
good feeling... I will post up some pictures too after I get all four of the reels brought back to life.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply