Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:37 am • #  

I recently joined, and have been asking a few questions in my quest for knowledge, so I thought I would give a short story about how I got started using Mitchell Reels...

When I was 13 years old (1974) my parents got me my first new fishing rod for my birthday. The rod is an Eagle Claw Denco spinning rod, with a new Mitchell reel. I also got a matching Eagle Claw fly rod at the same time...

I have used the spinning reel and rod every year since I got it.
The fly rod gets used, but not as often. 42 years later I still have both, and it is still in great condition for the use it has seen, and I will be using it again this year. I have to admit though, I do have some newer ultra light rods and reels that I use too, but they just don't have the personality that the old one does.

I found myself about a year ago slowly acquiring more Mitchell reels. It wasn't really intentional, but I really started to enjoy buying them, cleaning the ones that need it, and learning the history on the different models. As it sits right now, I have 19 vintage Mitchells. Various 300's including one half bail, a 408, 410, and a very early production 314 CAP. I've had a few that I have sold, but am still on the lookout for new additions to my small collection. Today I stumbled onto an original CAP reel that I am trying to find out info on. I am really enjoying the time I spend here reading, learning and enjoying pictures.

I though I would include a picture that I took today of the reel that got me started on Mitchells some 42 years ago....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:04 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Mike 408,
That is a great looking reel to have that many years on it. I bought my first 300 in 1963 when I got out of the Navy and I still use it. It looks like a piece of junk, and I've painted it several times, but still works well.
I have talked to a lot of people that are in the same situation as we are and have old Mitchells setting behind the door that they grab when they head for river.
Great posting.
Regards,
Ted lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:10 pm • #  

Ted Lanham wrote:
Hey Mike 408,
That is a great looking reel to have that many years on it. I bought my first 300 in 1963 when I got out of the Navy and I still use it. It looks like a piece of junk, and I've painted it several times, but still works well.
I have talked to a lot of people that are in the same situation as we are and have old Mitchells setting behind the door that they grab when they head for river.
Great posting.
Regards,
Ted lanham

Hi Ted. Thanks. It really has held up well. I have always been extremely fussy with my things. My dad always told me when I was very young, you can use your things and still take care of them. I'm glad I actually listened to him :-)

He has also been using Mitchells for many years. Most of his are mounted on very nice vintage Fenwick rods...

I didn't fully understand and appreciate Mitchells until I got a little older. It still amazes me how durable they are, and how
long they can last. Much the same as your reel that you described.

As I have gotten older I have come to understand that the old
rods and reels are much like the old guns.
They were well made, and built to last generations if taken care of. They worked great 50 years ago, and some things even 100 years ago, and still work just fine today.

While some of the new stuff is nice, I doubt a lot of it will still be around in 30-40 years. Can't say that about Mitchells

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm • #  

Nice story Mike. I'm sure most of us including me started out similar to that. Since you were 13 years old in 1974 how did they find a MITCHELL only reel for you that was brand new?? More of them available back then before I guess. Good luck with your collection.....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_okay:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14 pm • #  

piscesman wrote:
Nice story Mike. I'm sure most of us including me started out similar to that. Since you were 13 years old in 1974 how did they find a MITCHELL only reel for you that was brand new?? More of them available back then before I guess. Good luck with your collection.....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_okay:

Thanks Kim. I am going to have to ask my mom and dad, where they got it, because I can't remember. I can't even remember where I went yesterday lol...

My reel is a C prefix. Serial number C01099. Using the dating
guide here, am I correct that would make it a 51/52 version 4 ?

It's quite possible my dad already had the reel. He has been using them since he was very young. Heck, he still does...

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but he has quite a few.
I know some are still NIB. He also has numerous reels that he still has all of the paperwork and boxes, but are reels that he still fishes with. His users are also in almost new condition, and are mounted on vintage Fenwick rods from the same era.
He is even more fussy than I am lol

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply