Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 pm • #  

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

"Only YOU can prevent the spread of AIS!" (to steal a line from a famous bear):

If you have plans to work, fish, or play in Spring Creek or its watershed (Centre County – Bellefonte/State College area) remember that the entire waterway and its tributaries are considered to be infested with the aquatic invasive species (AIS) New Zealand Mudsnail (NZM).

NZM can cause major damage to the food web in a stream and have done so in several trout streams in the western U.S.

NZM are parthenogenetic (can reproduce without a mate); so it only takes one to start a new colony of this invader. Please don’t be the person to move NZM (or any other AIS) to a new waterway!

Always Check, Clean, and Disinfect your gear before leaving Spring Creek or any other waterway. The best ways to disinfect your gear are to soak it in HOT water with detergent, or by freezing it overnight (place in plastic bag and put in freezer) Learn more about cleaning your gear, here:
http://www.fishandboat.com/…/Aquat…/Pages/CleanYourGear.aspx

To identify AIS, here is a link to the online version of the PA AIS Field Guide: http://seagrant.psu.edu/…/AIS%20Field%20Guide_2015_11-3_FIN…

When in doubt, always assume your gear has been exposed to one of the many AIS in Pennsylvania!

If you believe you’ve found an AIS, take close up photos, record its exact location (GPS coordinates are a great help) and please report it at: http://pfbc.pa.gov/forms/reportAIS.htm

Please spread the word about AIS, and thank you for your help controlling and preventing the spread of AIS in the Commonwealth!

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am • #  

Hey Don,

This is a really excellent post on a very important topic. I am very grateful you did it.

However, I didn’t click it until today (5 weeks later) and only because I went to look at your latest post. If I may write honestly (without intent to offend), it was because of the title. I see “boat commission” and I’m stacking z’s. A title like: “invasive species warning Spring Creek, PA” or something like that would have caught my attention and maybe some more other Mates, too. Is this an edit Ted could help with, if you think you’d like it?

Also if you notice, a couple of your hyperlinks don’t work. I would guess it’s because you copied “…” instead of the full link. So, here those are:

CLEAN YOUR GEAR

AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES FIELD GUIDES (2 PDFs: PA & Mid-Atlantic)

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply