Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Kid's rig
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm • #  

Another combo is ready (just have to seal the cork) for a young angler. I'm calling it the UUL combo. It's a 4 1/2' top half of a fly rod I believe paired with a 204. A builder friend sent me 5 blanks, all super fast action. Going to a stocked artificial catch & release Feb 28th. Can't wait to test this one out. Another is on the drier, only cleaned that one up and added new guides.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: Kid's rig
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:04 pm • #  

It looks great Don. The 204 is a nice match for it. I'm curious to hear your thoughts after you try it. Should be an interesting action.
Great setup for kids or adults :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 pm • #  

Mike,
I said kid's rig because it as made to give away, to a kid at a trout rodeo. I have a few for myself. That rod was made with a lock down reel seat, and a rapid reduction guide train. I've only been building just under a year. when I was introduced to rapid reduction, I thought it was crazy. And built one anyway, and get at least 1/3 more distance casting.
The rod shown here was a 4'6" with 6 guides and a tip top.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 am • #  

That style of reel seat is my favorite Don. I'm really surprised more rod companies don't use it. Two of my earlier St. Croix
Legend spinning rods have that style of reel seat. The new Legend rods have Fuji TVS Graphite Spinning Reel Seats that I really like too. They are really comfortable and fit my large hands nicely, and it's kinda neat because you can see part of the blank in the middle of the seat.
The newer St Croix rods have a similar guide progression, and it really does make a big difference in casting, but it does seem odd the first time you see one.

I have never made my own rod but I have thought a lot about it the last few years and may start picking up a few things to get started this winter. My wife is encouraging me to start making rods, but it's probably to get me out of her hair :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:56 pm • #  

I also always wanted to build rods, sorry thing is I waited till I was 67. Think collecting Mitchell's is an addiction. Than try to build one rod,,,LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:50 am • #  

I'm getting a late start too. I will be 58 this year. Just as well I guess because when I was still working I didn't have time.
I can see how it would very easily be addicting. While I have downsized some over the last couple years, I already have what many would consider to be a ridiculous number of rods, but I haven't made any of them.

Now that I am retired, I do need a new hobby. I guess if I really enjoy doing it, and get to a point where I am happy with the quality of work I am doing, I could always try and sell some.
I have a hard time selling things though so maybe I should just start planning a bigger display area in the house :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 am • #  

I know what you mean. I have a quite a few Fenwick rods. I don't build anything fancy no fancy wraps at all. I just make plain very fish-able rods. I did make a lathe out of a sewing machine motor to turn to turn my own cork. In fact I replaced 2 handles for guy's here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:30 am • #  

Nicely done. Is it setup as a variable speed ? Do you have a setup for applying and drying the clear finish ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:55 am • #  

No one speed, turn down the cork using various sandpaper. Glue the rings on a mandrel. Ream the handle, and I add cork sealer on the finished rod. Here's what I use, the permagloss is good finish for rods, new and old. Apply a coat with a coffee filter, and let it dry 24 - 36 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 pm • #  

Thanks for the pictures Don. I like your clamp :tup
I bought the same cork sealer to use on a few of my rods
but haven't gotten around to it yet. I hate to sound like an idiot
but how do you use the coffee filter for applying the sealer ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:49 am • #  

Mike,
I take 1/4 of the filter, and with gloves apply. The filter absorbs the finish and goes on even. This is for the permagloss rod finish, do one coat wait 1 -2 hours and add another. When I use it after painting a blank puts a nice hard finish on it yet flexible. Cork only needs to be clean and apply with a brush even no runs.
NOTE: After using the permagloss, put it in an air tight container/bag and refrigerate, or it will crystallize.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:34 pm • #  

Thanks Don. Much appreciated. I think after I get my projects
done around the house, I will pick up the things I need and get started. I'm actually really excited about doing it.
I have a very good local custom rod maker I have dealt with for a few years for small repairs and re-wraps and I've always been very happy with their work, but I know I will get a lot more satisfaction doing the work myself, and the thing I'm really excited about
is doing a complete rod.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:51 pm • #  

Mike I sent you a PM

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply