Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New paint
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:28 am • #  

I guess this is where I should post this, under WHY. Well all my reels are ready for the up coming season, trout in 55 days. So I was able to see my grandson (7 years old), first thing out of his mouth, was when can we go fishing. I started him on a Mitchell 308 last year, and he took to it very well. I told him its time for him to have his own rod & reel. Without hesitation he says to me "I don't want a black one like yours :bored , I want camo. Well the reel I was going to give me had a pretty good amount of paint chips (it's a starter reel for him). During the winter I bought an airbrush kit, to do lures and crank baits, yep yet another hobby. So I removed the paint, and tried to mimic something looking like camo. There are to many curves to use stencils, so this is what I have so far. I'll have to do something with a rod blank also. It actually looks better than the pictures show.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: New paint
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:29 pm • #  

Looking good Don. The great thing about camo is that there really
is no right or wrong way to do it... :sHa_biggrin:

I'm not a big fan of camo but I understand your grandson wanting it done that way, and it is going to be his reel. As long as he likes it, and is eager to go fishing, that's the most important thing...
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product on his rod.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:00 pm • #  

Nice job Don. I'm thinking a matching camo finish on the mentioned rod blank. Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:48 pm • #  

Hi Don,

I would put the date you finished it under the foot for posterity.

This camo looks very good.

Your Grandson is going to treasure his reel for the rest of his life.

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:38 am • #  

Thanks guys for the comments. The rod blank may be a challenge with the airbrush (it's not a commercial set up). I'll play with that in the up coming day, A lot of ice storms coming in the next week. As for documenting the reel. Been thinking about putting his initials and the date on the rotating head. I also painted a couple trout lures, that the paint was chipped off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:49 pm • #  

Lure looks good too Don.

I would paint your entire Rod Blank tan, then just bump a few accents of the other 2 colours in place. I wonder how well the paint will stand up to the flexing of the rod.

That is a nice little airbrush kit.

Glen In Nova Scotia.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:01 am • #  

Glen,
I think I'm painting the rod the lighter green, and add dark green, brown, and some black. I have a power rod wrapper, so after the lt. green, I'll load it in the wrapper, and add accents as it spins.
As far as adding his name and date. My penmanship is far from good! And cutting a stencil, I think it would come out ragged. I have a friend I get decals from for rods. Thinking I'll try a clear decal with white print and apply to the rotating head. It may show a little outside seam, but I don't think it will look that bad. Adding a pic of one I put on a rod build, I know it not a clear picture but hard to get one off a rod.
As far as the flexing of the rod, I have painted a few, and put a light clear coat on them. Followed by 3 coats of perma-gloss urethane rod finish. The perma gloss has a chemical heat reaction, that's why I do a light clear coat. Flexibility has not been a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:03 am • #  

Another thing you could consider Don is a Label Maker, put the label under the shoe so it is out of sight.

Whatever you come up with will be great.

I finished reassembly of the last of 7 Mitchell 300s that I painted and serviced. I wish I had 100 more to do! They all turned out well, with some better than others.

Glen

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply