440 Autocast

Here you can show off your collection or share your favorite Mitchell fishing reels, catches and spots!
Bill Smith

440 Autocast

Post by Bill Smith »

I recently got a Mitchell 440 ALC mint in box. This is my dream reel, father and grandfather each had a Mitchell AutoCast, and it was lost shortly before I returned form service. Now 30 Yrs later I have one. I was actually told not to fish with it today by a fellow teacher that fishes alot. He said that the Auto Cast System was not very rugged, and should expect it to break easily. This reel is screaming fish with me, which I plan to do,but I was wondering if anyone could either verify what I was told, or debunk it for me

Thanks
Bill Smith

FusilDarne

Re: 440 Autocast

Post by FusilDarne »

My family had several 440s and a 330. They were fished. Hard. My Dad took good care of stuff, but, it got used. We never broke any of the Mitchell reels, save my little brother busting the foot off his new 300.

I’m going to fish my 441, this summer. You should fish yours, too. Who are you saving it for?

Ted

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

Like all reviews, everyone has their own opinion. I purchase reels to fish with, if I don't like them they either sit or are donated to someone to use.

I have several Mitchell 330 reels, along with 300s, 304s, 308s, 400s and 408s as well as other spinning reel brands. I rotate through them and let the kids and grandkids use them. I have not experienced anything to make me believe the 330s are any less reliable than the other reels.

They are definitely different in that you don't manually flip the bail to cast. Once you master the difference, I guess it's analogous to driving a standard shift versus an automatic shift car except you use left-hand to flip the bail, not you left-foot to disengage the clutch.

I love my Mitchells, outside of them I love my vintage Shimano AXUL-S ultra light spinning reel because it a blast to catch any size fish on light gear. But, I wouldn't take it to catch pike -- 2-3lb Bass at local ponds or tanks as they're referred to by Texas ranchers is great fun.

If you're not concerned about having the reel as a collection piece or if you're not real handy at maintenance of the reel then why not use it. You might love it, you might not. Life is short have fun and enjoy fishing.

Bill Smith

Post by Bill Smith »

Thanks folks for the replies, It is going to get fished with. AS was said, life is short, and reels are made to be fished. Bring on the fish. Now time to find a good rod just for this reel. Thanks again for comments.

Bill Smith

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

I have been fishing my 331 auto-bail for 15+ years. No issues at all except by the user. Sometimes I forget to move the bail lock 1st time cast and away goes my bait.
Kim