Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 pm • #  

hello all. i am new here so many thanks for this very informative site.

i have a renewed interest in mitchell reels. i was reflecting the other day on my fishing gear and how i have all these newish plastic infested reels and they all are exhibiting issues after only a few seasons of use.

i decided to go and buy some venerable mitchell reels and learn to service them myself and start using them. went to ebay and just bought a couple dozen non collector condition reels for great prices. its been a wonderful experience. my main two reels that i decided to focus on are the 300 and 306 models. i can now completely tear down each reel and clean and lube and adjust them myself.

my question is the adjustment of the bail on the 306 model. one of the 306 units i have is pretty mint and retains the bail bumper as it has not been used much. the rest of the units i have do not have this bumper. after looking at the bail set up on the bumper model i can see that the bumper itself takes up a good amount of space when engaged as a stop. without it, the bail falls over several more mms and this creates some adjustment issues.

one being that the bail trip under the rotating head comes in contact with the little arm of the bail locking piece. if your reel is making a "tick...tick" noise at the same interval when the head spins then this is likely the problem.

another being that since the bail wire now falls farther over, the relationship with the handle can also be a problem. the spinning handle to spinning bail wire ratio finally gets to that magic turn where the wire can make contact with the handle. the bumper height prevents this from happening as the bail wire sits up farther..which is the thickness of the rubber bumper.

and the noise factor. a bumper turns the loud bail click into more of a thump.

so...with the scarcity of the little bumper part that attaches in the tiny hole and either gets lost or breaks off or whatever the reason is that they are not seen on so many reels....what do you fellows do to remedy this issue when you cant find the exact replacement?

i am tinkering with the idea of just drilling a very small hole on through where the bumper inserts and then threading that hole. maybe 4/40 might work. then a small brass 4/40 machine screw screw could be used as the bumper and it could be adjustable. there are plenty of spare bail ends available to do this on and keep the original part unmodified.

another thought would be to drill the hole little bigger and not exit the other side, and then tap in a post. then instead of having a weak spot in the rubber bumper to break off, you could take a piece of hard rubber and shape a small bumper and drill a small hole in it and attach it to the post with some glue.

just some thoughts....any response or other ideas? this is an issue that has to be addressed on most of the 306 reels i have. many many thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:50 pm • #  

Easiest fix is to just get some small diameter rubber rod, cut to needed length and just use rubber cement.

Then if you manage to get some of the bumper parts, you can easily replace the jury rigged bumper.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings 32251,
Welcome to the forum.
I've used a shadetree trick that has worked for me. Get a couple small o-rings from your local hardware's plumbing dept. and slide them on to replace the bumper.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 pm • #  

ted. very good idea!!! i will try that. thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 pm • #  

If you are interested there two sellers on ebay with 306 bail bumpers, at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 am • #  

Hi 32251, I use a piece of plastic or rubber hose cut to the right length and strech it on. Cheers Colin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 pm • #  

Ted
I was amazed by the fact that you use the O ring trick as well. I have had the same O ring on one of my 306's now for 2 years at it is still going strong. It has changed the hard metallic clang to a much softer dull thud when the bail closes. Just be sure to use a small enough O ring that has to be stretched over the necessary gap. Great minds must think alike. We old school Mitchell Mate guys must have come from the same old Mitchell mold.

By the way Ted - I have a very positive feeling that the two handles you sent me will arrive sometime this coming week. I will notify you when they make their arrival.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:39 pm • #  
Global Moderator

John,
I sure hope so. I'm starting to lose faith in our POs.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm • #  

I ended up using some small flat rubber orings. I took a tiny pair of scissors and trimmed the edge down on one side so no contact with the head. Then i cut a short piece of guitar string and stuck it through the original hole...it serves as a retainer. Great cheap fix. The rings were 18 cents each at the hardware store. The bail noise is half as loud and the issue with the bail trip clicking is solved. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey 32251,
Glad to hear the "shadetree" fix worked. I've had the same o-rings on a couple of 306's for several years without having a problem with them, but I like your retainer wire idea.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 am • #  

Should also be possible to use shrinking tube, it will stay fixed when shrink heated.

Otto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:38 pm • #  

What's interesting is that Mitchell eventually did the same thing eventually when they changed over to the roller style.

Instead of a bumper which obviously was a bit fragile, they went to the flat ring style...much more robust.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm • #  

I was looking in my parts for another part and I can across some of the bail mounts # 81576 with the rubber bumper. These are new old stock still in the bags. $5.00 each plus shipping or a sealed bag of 6 for $25.00 plus shipping.

Syd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 pm • #  

Hello..new to this site. I've got a pretty clean 306, and the last of the bumper wore out, with all the resulting problems noted above. Checked Ebay, but none of the 306 bumpers looked like 306 bumpers. Thought about drilling out the metal to receive the larger Penn 704 bumper..but that seemed like overkill. Found this site, this thread, and all the solutions you've employed. Went to the hardware store for the o-ring fix, walked out w a couple of grommets instead, and perfect fix made. They are put on same as the 2 o-ring job, but w only one grommet used. Thanks to all!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 am • #  

MikeW
Do you have a picture of your grommet fix? I was wondering if it would work on my 400 & 410 reels?

thanks RON

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply