Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am • #  

just got a reel in from ebay. its in such nice shape, but there is a problem with the three screw holes that hold the side plate on. the holes were full of metal particles and oil. the threads of the screws have been flattened out in the lower portion and are not easily screwed in. if someone knows what size tap was used to cut those threads, i can get a tap that size and grind the bottom off a bit and use it to recut and clean out the threaded holes. make it more of a bottoming out tap. i need one anyway to recut threads that are corroded on some reels i have. thanks for any info.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 am • #  

It looks like M2.5 x 0.45 which is a standard size

That's from using my new thread pitch gage, then micing up the screw diameter and converting thousands to millimeters.

The screw is slightly undersize, which makes sense for the screw fit.

Believe it or not, that's considered to be metric coarse thread!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:43 am • #  

thank you for the info smead. coarse!? what must metric fine look like!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 pm • #  

You're Welcome!

I think what happens is at a certain size, there are no longer coarse and national fine threads for each screw diameter, but they list the single thread size available under the coarse table.

It's a riot looking at the screw and seeing that it's listed as "course" though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:44 pm • #  

Found a drill and tap set on ebay...just over $15, shipping included...but at least not directly from China. I bought a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M2-5-X-0-45-pitch-HSS-2H-Tap-Tapping-Size-Drill-Bit-2-05mm-HSS-Ground-Set-/181114941220?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2b4aaf24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:36 pm • #  

found a tap for $5.60 shipped. i will report when it arrives and i use it to try to renew/clean the threads.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 pm • #  

You might not even need to grind your tap down. If they did it right, the hole was drilled deep enough to accommodate a regular tap being able to go deep enough for the screw with the cover on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm • #  

got the tap in. had to grind it down a bit. left just enough of the starting cuts to thread into to the existing threads. it worked great!! was able to use the original screws too. they will do fine till i can find some replacements. anyone have a line on some screws in bulk that will work?just about all my reels have screws with slots that have been attacked with the wrong size screwdriver! originals are too expensive. here is a pic. i have not cleaned out this reel yet. its still full of grease.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 am • #  

You probably can find the size and style...countersunk slotted machine screw, common metric size at the required length; but I believe that finding such in chromed brass might be a challenge.

You might check electronics/computer hardware suppliers.

I have only seen one bulk Mitchell screw offer on ebay and the asking price was fairly high.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm • #  

Smead wrote:
You probably can find the size and style...countersunk slotted machine screw, common metric size at the required length; but I believe that finding such in chromed brass might be a challenge.

You might check electronics/computer hardware suppliers.

I have only seen one bulk Mitchell screw offer on ebay and the asking price was fairly high.

see mostly stainless. would there be a problem with SS?

the specs from most suppliers are DIN963 on the screw dimensions. the head is 4.7MM across....that might be a tad too big for a mitchell.
wouldnt you think that they would use a screw that would be proprietary? that way they could make money on replacement parts. i can see why they would use brass. the screw threads would probably damage before the threads in the casting would be damaged. much easier to replace the screws. i have not found any plated brass in either nickle or chrome...at least not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 am • #  

Yes, the thinking was that a brass screw would strip before the housing...easier to get busted thread out too.

You would want to be very careful using SS screws.

Seems like in the past, most manufacturers were using brass, chromed/plated, regarding misc hardware...but heck, they were using stainless and marine bronze for gears and pinions too.

We currently exist in an era of cheap and disposable.

I'd hope since that was a common thread, the countersink angle and head size would be common too.

They may be, in Europe; it occurs to me that their AC electric is different from ours...or was way back when I was stationed in Germany. Could be with globalization, things are standardized now, but maybe not back then.

I just was thinking that something in electronics would be the best bet in finding brass screws.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply