Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:46 pm • #  

Have a 408 and took off bail wire from housing because bail was not returning adequately. With bail spring in place, I can get the spring end into the tiny bail wire end hole, but once inserted I need to awkwardly turn the wire end clockwise to develop bail spring tension and try and insert the mounting screw. I have failed many times. Solution?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:58 pm • #  

Hello.

Get the spring tits in place at both points, housing and arm, with the spring in it's housing...with no tension on the spring...then install the bail screw.

At this point, the arm is way out of position and can't be fully rotated because a portion will hit the housing spring well.

Now loosen the screw bit by bit until the arm can ride over the housing well while each tit of the spring stays in place. Once the arm is past, tighten the screw down.

The opposite end of the bail should be on or around where it attaches while you work on the spring side, then screwed down when you have the spring side secured.

It sometimes seems like the screw is only hanging on by a quarter turn when you do this.

This will work on all one piece bails. A multi-piece bail is done the same way, except that you just do the bail arm, then assemble the rest of the bail.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 am • #  

Actually, the reel is a 308 - duh. But your description seemed to apply and made total sense. Thank you. So I tried it. With the spring inserted in the bail arm hole, I put on the screw slightly. Then I tried to rotate the bail arm in the direction to create more turns in the spring and it cleared the first well boss (there are two). But each time I tried to clear the second well boss the spring tit came out of the bail arm hole. In order to clear the wells the bail arm needs to pull somewhat away from the spring housing and when that happens the tit pops out of the bail arm hole. Seems I need to keep pressure on the bail arm face against the spring housing so that the tit doesn't disengage. But when I do that the arm boss won't clear either well boss. So I have been trying to awkwardly rotate the bail arm face and sort of move it around without the screw and that fails too. :( Frustrated. I should have never removed it. Just oiled it assembled instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 pm • #  

The same procedure applies no matter what Mitchell reel you're working on really.

Install the screw in until the bail won't clear, spring firmly in place, then back it off bit by bit.

You could have a spring with a slightly shorter tit...as you back off the screw, hold the arm at an angle relative to the spring housing to help keep that tit end in the bail arm as you rotate it over the spring housing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 am • #  

Yes, I did that. The bail arm boss is fairly close to the tit hole, so there is only so far the bail arm face can be tilted away without the spring tit popping out of the hole. So eventually, I inserted the end of a toothpick between a coil or two to keep pressure on the tit as the bail arm boss was tilted away from the spring housing. It worked and I finally got the bail boss to clear both housing bosses and I removed the pick while pressing the bail face against the spring housing and tightened the screw down. But when I loosened the screw slightly, the tit escaped again. Arghhh!. The tit is about 1/8 of an inch long and doesn't protrude out of the bail arm face when inserted in the tit hole. Maybe I need a new spring?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:23 pm • #  

I would try a new spring.

There's also a possibility it's not a Mitchell spring.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply