Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: It finally happened...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:02 am • #  

I cleaned and greased two Mitchell 300s yesterday and NOT one screw was mangled up on those old reels. They were perfect! What's the chances?

But, it's not because they were given tender loving care over the years rather it was because they had never been serviced in the 60 plus years since they left the factory. :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am • #  

I've been thinking some about the Cover Plate Screws and other Screws on the Mitchell Reels in recent times since many of my old ones, and some new acquisitions were all recently cleaned, serviced and re-lubed.

And yeah, I've slightly buggered a couple as they were pretty tight, and a seeming inability to find the best methods and screwdriver tips to fit some of them.

Such didn't bother me the many years ago so much, but it does bother me now, largely due to the fact I'm more concerned about doing clean work, and that these screws are becoming harder and harder to find. Back in the day, it wasn't a problem to get the needed parts.

Usually, a slightly buggered screw didn't offend me too much when I was young, would carry on, say "oh well", and commonly the only time where some action of repair would have to be taken was when the buggered screw head interfered with the Anti-Reverse Lever, then either a small fine file would have to be implemented to smooth the screw head, or swap that particular screw to another location on the faceplate.

I know many of these screws you would swear have been Locktited at some point in the past, and this is no doubt due to corrosion and the combination of dissimilar metals used.

I know from a little bit of Gunsmith experiences, that Locktited Screws can often be effectively coaxed with the aid of a Soldering Iron, to hold the tip of a Hot Soldering Iron to the Heads of the Screws for 20-30 seconds to break-loosen the bond, then attempt removal. Not sure how this would work with the Mitchell Reels though, and seized screws?

I have read mention on auction sites that some of these screws were Brass? I'm not entirely sure if all Cover Plate Screws for all the Reels, and other Screws on board were entirely made of Brass? I would think in some applications, Brass might prove to be just too soft a metal.

Thus, I have thought at some future point to perhaps again go through every Mitchell Reel I own, to very carefully again remove screws here and there, and to apply a Anti-Sieze Compound to them, then re-install?

I would assume such would surely not hurt, and be an aid to future servicing without running into seizing problems?

Hope you haven't minded my thoughts and ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm • #  

MarkD51
I would like to add to your thoughts and ideas by mentioning that in addition to applying Anti-Seize you could also apply an anti-corrosion compound that is made especially for protecting dissimilar metals like aluminum and steel. You can find it with electrical supplies at your home centers.
Also, I would suggest if you don't want to go through every reel you own to take a magnet and check screws to see if they are steel-might save you some time.
By the way, Wallace Carney talks about screws in his book. Start with 1st version study pp.31 and on.
Kind Regards,
Bill :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:17 am • #  

MarkD51 wrote:

Hope you haven't minded my thoughts and ideas?

Quiet the opposite. I encourage more thoughts and ideas and just plain old rambling is fine with me. :sHa_biggrin:

Speaking of rambling I was at Walmart yesterday and picked up a little ultra lite Shakespeare reel and rod, don't remember the model, and gave the crank a spin. I was amazed, it was still spinning when I put it back in the display rack.

I thought my old 304s were free wheeling but that thing was something else. They've come a long way with reels it would appear these days.

I still like the feel of a little bit of resistance like our old 300s have compared to the free wheeling. But at my age I'm still stuck in the 50s on just about everything.

I like things made out of metal like aluminum, brass and steel, with little to no plastic. I don't like stamped metal parts either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 pm • #  

Hello Rook, It's only natural that you like things (fishing reels) made out of cast metals or you more than likely wouldn't be a Mitchell Mate.Between the " technical perfection " and the material that Mitchell reels are made of ,and their endurance( I'm fishing with the same 308 & 300 since I'm about 15 and I'm 72 now) that's why we are who we are. I only hope fisherman of future generations feel the same as all of the Mates now do . Best regards , John in Pa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 pm • #  

Drop that Walmart reel and you will be buying another one. Mitchell, well brush the dirt off and go on fishing. Bend bail wire back or shaft and enjoy your day. Built like a tank but runs like a well tune machine, which it is. Only thing is, that we can repair them ourselfs and not send out to service or landfill. Keep up the enthusiasm like the rest of us.
Kim. :sCh_fisherman: :tup :sSig_goodjob2:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm • #  

Hi Kim , Your so right ,most fishing gear today sold in the big box stores is overseas junk , over priced and made by employees making 25 cents an hour. I'd sooner buy something at a yard sale or flea market that's 40 / 50 years old clean it up and you'll be better off. Many a time I've taken my reel if I got it dirty ,took the butt end and stuck it in the water ,swirled it around till it was clean and went right on fishing .Everyone just has to keep the faith that the're fishing with the best reels ever produced. Regards,John in Pa.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply